Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
News on Stones tour 2011 not great.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 2, 2011 23:46

Seen this on yahoo news..............................................
The Rolling Stones on Wednesday said they have "no firm plans to tour," and sought to distance themselves from a legal battle between concert promoter Live Nation and its former chairman Michael Cohl. The announcement by the veteran British rockers follows the recent filing of claims and counterclaims between Live Nation and Cohl over a contract he signed when he left the company in 2008 that involved a possible Rolling Stones tour this year.

The Stones, by some measures the world's biggest live act, last toured in 2007, and fans around the world have speculated they might soon mount a new show. In November, guitarist Keith Richards hinted the band was ready to hit the road again, and next year is the group's 50th anniversary.

Talk of a tour picked up this week when showbusiness website The Hollywood Reporter detailed some of the accusations between Cohl and Live Nation in a story about Cohl having filed a counterclaim to Live Nation's original, November lawsuit.

The Hollywood Reporter said Cohl claims Live Nation breached their 2008 contract by attempting to "interfere" and "destroy" his opportunity to procure promotional rights to a Stones tour this year.

On Wednesday, the Stones issued a statement in which they sought "to clarify their position regarding representation and touring.

"Following the end of the 2007 A Bigger Bang world tour The Rolling Stones became free from any contractual arrangements or agreements with Michael Cohl.

"He is neither their representative nor their tour promoter. Also the Stones confirmed today they have no firm plans to tour at this time."

The A Bigger Bang tour, which lasted from 2005 to 2007, became the highest grossing in rock history, earning over $558 million from 144 shows, according to Billboard figures.

In their statement, the Stones added that they "have recently secured a worldwide merchandising agreement with Bravado Inc and in 2008 signed a new global record deal with Universal Music."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 11:53 by crawdaddy.

Re: News on Stones tour not great.
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 3, 2011 00:29

cool news about the merchandising agreement!! that should satisfy everyone for the time-being!! rock on!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 3, 2011 00:38

crawdaddy

On Wednesday, the Stones issued a statement in which they sought "to clarify their position regarding representation and touring.

"Following the end of the 2007 A Bigger Bang world tour The Rolling Stones became free from any contractual arrangements or agreements with Michael Cohl.

"He is neither their representative nor their tour promoter.

What a beautiful statement! I put that on my wall!

- Doxa

Date: February 3, 2011 00:41

You are so right. >grinning smiley<

Date: February 3, 2011 01:01

That statement actually is a strong signal to anyone involved. It starts to look like mr. Cohl is just another used card - like G. Gomelsky, Eric Easotn, ALO, Klein, Graham, etc. in The Rolling Stones story. Being once a useful guy for certain interests but not any longer. Time to move on. Well, about the time, actually.grinning smiley

What is great about the Stones is the 'cruel' feature that they are never completely dependent on anyone involved with them (or 'loyal' to anyone), even how important and big that one thinks he is. It looks like that Cohl has thought that The Stones are somehow "his", or he and only he has the rigths to Stones tours. That is emphasizely denied in that statement. Time to learn a lesson Michael! Nothing personal, just business...

I cannot stop smiling.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 01:02 by Doxa.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 3, 2011 01:24

So with Cohl out, whom will we blame next tour for everything we don't like?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 3, 2011 01:33

Yeah new strategy by the Stones. They won't tour,but they will sell you merchandise for the tour that they're not on.smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 3, 2011 01:36

[www.billboard.com]
Talk of a Rolling Stones tour this year has heated up in the wake of details from former Live Nation Chairman Michael Cohl's lawsuit against the company hitting the Internet. But Billboard sticks by its assertion that if the Stones were to tour it would probably not be until next year, or late this year at the earliest -- the Stones themselves basically squelched chatter about the tour via a statement issued today, without ruling it out completely.

"In light of recent reports surrounding the 'Breach of Contract' Court Case in America between Live Nation Entertainment and former Live Nation chairman Michael Cohl, The Rolling Stones wish to clarify their position regarding representation and touring," the statement reads. "Following the end of the 2007 'A Bigger Bang' world tour, The Rolling Stones became free from any contractual arrangements or agreements with Michael Cohl. He is neither their representative nor their tour promoter. Also the Stones confirmed today they have no firm plans to tour at this time.

"The Rolling Stones have recently secured a worldwide merchandizing agreement with Bravado Inc. and in 2008 signed a new global record deal with Universal Music," it adds.

Any squabbles between Cohl and Live Nation as to who would produce such a tour may be moot, as ultimately it's the Stones' call as to who steers the ship -- if the tour sails at all. Cohl led the band to unprecedented tour grosses with his dice-rolling financing, creative deals and market-value ticket prices, beginning with the "Steel Wheels" trek in 1989. But all of Cohl's tour deals with the Rolling Stones, which have grossed some $2 billion in ticket sales alone since 1989, were cut on a tour-by-tour basis, even if they included multiple rights such as DVDs and merchandising that extended beyond those tours' conclusion. Cohl became the Stones' guy because he and his team got the job done on all levels.

And even if the contract surrounding Cohl's exit with Live Nation apparently gave him the right to bid on a Stones tour, it certainly does not obligate the Stones to work with him.

Cohl worked with Live Nation promoters in various markets on some of his tours with the Stones, but before Live Nation existed he was able to secure financing from a variety of sources that bankrolled the massive startup costs a Stones tour requires. So he could likely get the job done without Live Nation, and indeed Live Nation could get the job done without Cohl and perhaps emerge as the favorite. Live Nation has an ace in the hole in dealing with the Stones, as LN Global Touring Chairman Arthur Fogel was a key executive under Cohl at the latter's former companies CPI and TNA before they became part of Live Nation.

Fogel has in fact become the leading mega-tour producer in the world, having steered with his Toronto-based team four of the five highest-grossing tours of all time, including U2's ongoing "360" tour. That tour will surpass 'A Bigger Bang' tour in April to become the highest-grossing tour in history, according to Billboard Boxscore. By the time "360" wraps July 30 at the Magnetic Hill Music Festival in Moncton, New Brunswick, the gross will be a staggering $700 million.

Those types of numbers surely will catch the eyes of the Stones' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, who, by the way, tend to at least take a stab at new material before launching a tour, and sources say no band meeting has been called as of yet.

The list of promoters that could take on a tour of this magnitude is a short one, but longer than it was even a few years ago. Sources say Cohl, Live Nation, Paul Dainty, and AEG Live would be in the running for the next Stones tour, but it seems all these names surface in hopes that the band will tour, not because the band is soliciting bids. Fogel has his recent track record and strong history with the Stones, and though today's statement does not bode well, Cohl should never be counted out.

Even if Cohl is completely immersed in the beast that is "Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark," he tells Billboard that if the Stones came calling, "I always have time for the Rolling Stones."

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 3, 2011 01:43

Do you think the rolling stones don't want to upset Live Nation? Who is more powerful/useful to them; Cohl or Live Nation?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: February 3, 2011 01:46

rollmops
Do you think the rolling stones don't want to upset Live Nation? Who is more powerful/useful to them; Cohl or Live Nation?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Hurt feeling will not get in the way of hundreds of millions of dollars

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 3, 2011 01:55

fiftyamp
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Yeah, but I find it strange how The Stones distance themselves very openly from Cohl. They have worked together for a long time so I wonder if their reaction show that they don't want to be in bad terms with Live NAtion.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: February 3, 2011 01:57

71Tele
So with Cohl out, whom will we blame next tour for everything we don't like?

There is always Chuck Leavell, so don't worry...

- Doxa

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 3, 2011 02:08

rollmops
fiftyamp
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Yeah, but I find it strange how The Stones distance themselves very openly from Cohl. They have worked together for a long time so I wonder if their reaction show that they don't want to be in bad terms with Live NAtion.
Rock and Roll,
Mops
Well I don't know why they're worried about pissing off Live nation. They really only have 1 big tour left in them(if that). So it's not like they will need to work with Live Nation a great deal in the future.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: February 3, 2011 02:17

If you read between the lines the above statement confirms The Rolling Stones fulfilled their contractual agreement for the ABB Tour. It doesn't mean they severed relations with Cohl or Live Nation because a New Contract would have to be drawn up and signed for any New Tour.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 3, 2011 02:29

it was a clear message-they will work with whoever comes up with the money.

the band were letting everyone know that cohl has no inside track and his past with them means nothing.word probably got back to them that he was implying some kind of connection to them because of the past.it reminds me of what ronnie once said of the stones attitude while dealing with people-"thank you,now f/ck off"

the good news is it looks like we're gonna get our 50th anniversary tour next year.

Stones talk down new tour rumours
Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: February 3, 2011 00:37

Re: Stones talk down new tour rumours
Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: February 3, 2011 00:38

Sorry, already posted

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 3, 2011 10:04

crawdaddy
Seen this on yahoo news..............................................
The Rolling Stones on Wednesday said they have "no firm plans to tour," and sought to distance themselves from a legal battle between concert promoter Live Nation and its former chairman Michael Cohl. The announcement by the veteran British rockers follows the recent filing of claims and counterclaims between Live Nation and Cohl over a contract he signed when he left the company in 2008 that involved a possible Rolling Stones tour this year.

The Stones, by some measures the world's biggest live act, last toured in 2007, and fans around the world have speculated they might soon mount a new show. In November, guitarist Keith Richards hinted the band was ready to hit the road again, and next year is the group's 50th anniversary.

Talk of a tour picked up this week when showbusiness website The Hollywood Reporter detailed some of the accusations between Cohl and Live Nation in a story about Cohl having filed a counterclaim to Live Nation's original, November lawsuit.

The Hollywood Reporter said Cohl claims Live Nation breached their 2008 contract by attempting to "interfere" and "destroy" his opportunity to procure promotional rights to a Stones tour this year.

"He is neither their representative nor their tour promoter. Also the Stones confirmed today they have no firm plans to tour at this time."

The A Bigger Bang tour, which lasted from 2005 to 2007, became the highest grossing in rock history, earning over $558 million from 144 shows, according to Billboard figures.

In their statement, the Stones added that they "have recently secured a worldwide merchandising agreement with Bravado Inc and in 2008 signed a new global record deal with Universal Music."

No real surprises there then. 2012 or bust, it seems to me.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: February 3, 2011 11:08

Doxa
crawdaddy

What a beautiful statement! I put that on my wall!

- Doxa

AMEN!

Re: News on Stones tour 2011 not great.
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 3, 2011 13:04

I think this is great news...

A new record deal with Universal means that we are going to hear new material.

Cohl out of the picture is also very good...

Record and Tour coming up in the near future.

Date: February 3, 2011 13:37

sweetcharmedlife
Yeah new strategy by the Stones. They won't tour,but they will sell you merchandise for the tour that they're not on.smiling bouncing smiley

...I want some!! >grinning smiley<

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: February 3, 2011 14:31

I looked at the merchandise and it is so expensive from Bravado Inc. $45 for a cotton t-shirt when they are not even touring.They gotta be joking.They are having a laugh at our expense if they sell any of that gear. confused smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 3, 2011 14:49

Loudei

There's no obligation on the Stones part to record a new album for Universal - although I'd imagine that they'd do something if they were going to tour in 2012.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 3, 2011 14:58

Gazza
Loudei

There's no obligation on the Stones part to record a new album for Universal - although I'd imagine that they'd do something if they were going to tour in 2012.
You mean their existing deal is just for back catalogue and no future recordings.?...sort of rhetorical question....but if you do know details Gazza and could let us know that would be appreciated, Cheers, Eddie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 15:17 by EddieByword.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 3, 2011 16:16

album in 2011
tour in 2012.
i will be at the LAST GIG in London, august 2012
Bye Jeroen

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: February 3, 2011 17:21

No new album in 2011.
Lots of reissues/compilations/remasters deluxe in 2012
No new studio album, a few new songs on the 50 licks type compilation.
Tour 2012-2013

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:22

Yes, it WILL happen.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:57

mickscarey
Yes, it WILL happen.

WHAT will happen? a stones tour in 2011?

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:09

mickscarey, enough already. seriously. you've been saying this for over a year. your schtick is getting old. even if there is a tour, that won't vindicate your "done deal" posts. there's a word that can be used to describe you (it begins with a t) but i won't say it because i know you'll cry to bv and complain. is there an "ignore user" button on this board? there ought to be.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:17

It should be a real shame if they don't make a new studio album of new stuff!Fifty Licks!?!Another compilation with an onlyone studio album after Forty Licks?!?What a shame!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home