Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What We Do Not Want in a New Stones CD
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 1, 2011 14:24

Mathijs
SwayStones
MississippiBullfrog
Bashlets
... the lyrics are embarassing for people over 60. Stop singing about " cocks"...

...60+ don't have cocks??!
My my... what a drag it is getting old.

You cracked me up !smiling smiley

I 've been told that "rooster" is used only in American English.Is this true ?

Since "cock" can have an offensive meaning, I thought that the only time that the word "cock" is commonly used for this animal is in the phrase "cock-fight" (a rooster fight )...

btw, I don't want Chuck Leavell, Blondie Chaplin, Bernard Fowler, etc.

Cock is derived from cockerel, and is Brit English for a male bird (not only a male chicken). Rooster stems from roosting, and is American English for a male chicken.

Mathijs
In England it's also a term of endearment especially up north...you might greet someone with...Alright cock ?..

In Scotland the term 'cock up' also means to straighten up or tidy up as in 'Straightened up your clothing and make yourself presentable'....It came to light on a TV program here that also in Scotland there are hats called Beavers.....a girl in the audience couldn't stop laughing at the thought that on occaision there were people going around in Scotland saying 'Cock up your beaver'..............obviously Mick's double entendre has nothing to do with the first two of those..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-01 14:47 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 1, 2011 15:19

Glam Descendant
I do not want an album that panders to what people post on some internet message board.

Exactly.

Christ almighty. I dont know if this thread was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I really hope it was for the sake of some of the people who have posted in it.

You can imagine the band getting together in a studio with a big wallchart of 'don't do's provided for their artistic guidance and welbeing based on a shitlist from a group of people who have never even made a record.

What a great idea, eh? Instead of working to some kind of muse, for better or worse, lets have the Stones instead follow a formula drawn up by a few fans of what pitfalls they have to avoid in order to make a record that they'll deem to be satisfactory.

That's bound to work a treat.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 1, 2011 15:58

Mathijs
Rent a house in Woodstock, get Rick Rubin in and record an album in 2 weeks.

Impossible, it takes at least two weeks for everyone to show up smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 1, 2011 16:10

Stones with Strings...yawning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 1, 2011 16:19

EddieByword
Mathijs
SwayStones
MississippiBullfrog
Bashlets
... the lyrics are embarassing for people over 60. Stop singing about " cocks"...

...60+ don't have cocks??!
My my... what a drag it is getting old.

You cracked me up !smiling smiley

I 've been told that "rooster" is used only in American English.Is this true ?

Since "cock" can have an offensive meaning, I thought that the only time that the word "cock" is commonly used for this animal is in the phrase "cock-fight" (a rooster fight )...

btw, I don't want Chuck Leavell, Blondie Chaplin, Bernard Fowler, etc.

Cock is derived from cockerel, and is Brit English for a male bird (not only a male chicken). Rooster stems from roosting, and is American English for a male chicken.

Mathijs
In England it's also a term of endearment especially up north...you might greet someone with...Alright cock ?..

In Scotland the term 'cock up' also means to straighten up or tidy up as in 'Straightened up your clothing and make yourself presentable'....It came to light on a TV program here that also in Scotland there are hats called Beavers.....a girl in the audience couldn't stop laughing at the thought that on occaision there were people going around in Scotland saying 'Cock up your beaver'..............obviously Mick's double entendre has nothing to do with the first two of those..........

There's even more:

[idioms.thefreedictionary.com]
[idioms.thefreedictionary.com]

And you know, it's just that purist Americans always explain anything sexually. Like 'I want to fvck your sweet ass' from Sparks Will Fly. In Brit English that means 'I'd like to read poetry from the restoration plays with you'.

Mathijs

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 1, 2011 16:30

Mathijs
redsock
Bashlets
I liked ABB, however the lyrics are embarassing for people over 60. Stop singing about "cocks"like Rough Justice.

There is a long list of great bluesmen who never stopped singing about cocks.

The cock in Rough Justice is a male chicken, not the organ.

Mathijs

not to mention, it's my favorite line in the entire album - & Rough Justice is my favorite Stones track since ... well a long time.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 1, 2011 17:25

It'll be what it is when it is if it is. And if there are any songs pertaining to rivers or streets I'll just NOT put them on whatever I listen to it on ha ha...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 1, 2011 17:28

Mathijs

Mathijs

Perhaps, but where birds are concerned, the term 'cock' is usually reserved for a male chicken. We (us Brits) would never, for instance, refer to a makle pigeon or duck as a 'Cock'

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 1, 2011 17:36

and the little red rooster is about a male chicken too. uh-huh.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: February 1, 2011 18:05

They should do wft they want, and they will. Just bring on the music.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 1, 2011 19:14

Big Al
Mathijs

Mathijs

Perhaps, but where birds are concerned, the term 'cock' is usually reserved for a male chicken. We (us Brits) would never, for instance, refer to a makle pigeon or duck as a 'Cock'

In true sense, the word duck only refers to a female duck, not a male duck, which is called a 'drake'. In Dutch we have the same, 'eend' is a female duck, 'woerd' a male duck.

There are some birds where 'cock' indicates the male version, like cock sparrow.

I understand Watts loves his Peking Duck, so this is entirely on-topic.

Mathijs

Date: February 1, 2011 19:15

Female dog is a bitch...male elephant is a bull...etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-01 19:16 by skipstone.

Date: February 1, 2011 19:36

let's just be clear here - in rough justice, mick is referring to his penis.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 1, 2011 19:41

StonesTod
no wonder it's the shortest song on the album.

Date: February 1, 2011 20:16

ineedadrink
StonesTod
no wonder it's the shortest song on the album.

drum roll...cymbal crash!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 1, 2011 21:17

Mathijs
slewan
no overdubs
no additional musicians (except for a bass player)
no contemporary sound
no attempt to sound like in the 60s/70s/80s etc
no self repetition
no release of an album just as a excuse for another tour (i.e. don't release anything before there is something really good)

So, what do you want? It is quite difficult to make an album that is not contemporary, but also does't sound like 60's, 70's and 80's....What should they do, make a 30's swing album?

why not?
anyway - ask Bob Dylan or see how he kept changing directions, introducing new sounds etc

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 1, 2011 21:40

His Majesty
Old outtakes with modern day overdubs.

I'm agree with you...and no more 'Streets of Love'.

Posted by: crackedglauzer ()
Date: February 1, 2011 22:27

Glam Descendant
I do not want an album that panders to what people post on some internet message board.

that's it
I just want a new album

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: February 1, 2011 22:28

They can do whatever they want. Make a good album with good songs.
I do not like to see an extreme loud and ´compressed to death album´, like A Bigger Bang. Keep the dynamics. Let it breathe.

Date: February 2, 2011 02:41

No Rock And A Hard Place 2!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 2, 2011 03:18

Let's forget what they did..............I just want them go in to a studio play the songs they like and hire a new guy how to produce a record

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 2, 2011 03:26

This producing thing - how hard can it be? Do you need to be a Messiah to handle it? Or a rocket scientist?

Date: February 2, 2011 07:04

Has no one hear heard of a double entendre?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 2, 2011 07:09

StonesTod

I guess that explains why it's such a tiny todger of a rock song.

Date: February 2, 2011 07:19

I meant..."Has no one here heard of a double entendre?"

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 2, 2011 14:00

Falsetto voice of MJ, no eunuch music, please!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 2, 2011 16:58

EddieByword

Not sure if you're being funny or not, but...

In my 35 years of living in Scotland I have never heard anyone use "cock up" for the meaning you give.

A beaver hat would be a hat made from a beaver, never heard anyone say cock up your beaver.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: February 2, 2011 17:22

No songs like Blinded by love, blinded by rainbows, Streets of Love. Nothing in that Vain please. No overt political songs like Neocon or Rock and a Hard Place.

To change subjects for a minute. They might try mixing it up here and there and have Keith write lyrics to a Mick Tune just to shake things up. They might try to get input from Steve Jordan and Ronnie Wood on songwriting. They should also release a double album with a McCartney/Richards number. I'd like Keith to come up with a high quality slow tune or two like he does for his solo albums.

Oh, also they should release a very long album in the vain of the White album, like 31 songs or so.

Date: February 2, 2011 17:28

His Majesty
EddieByword

Not sure if you're being funny or not, but...

In my 35 years of living in Scotland I have never heard anyone use "cock up" for the meaning you give.

A beaver hat would be a hat made from a beaver, never heard anyone say cock up your beaver.
Ah right....being from Wales I wouldn't swear to the accuracy of this...it's just something I remember from the Frank Skinner show a few years ago...sorry if it's not factual.....the story I told was true and he was told everything I said by one of his guests whose name I don't recall.....?...anyway from my understanding was it was always meant as a light hearted thing from Frank and his audience with regard for the possible double entendre due to the English slang meaning of cock and the American slang meaning of beaver....no offence to the Scots intended..from me or I think I can safely say Frank.........Cheers then, Eddie

Date: February 2, 2011 17:46

There you go .....I knew it wasn't my imagination......

Cock up your beaver...Robert Burns

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-02 17:47 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home