Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Palladium NYC 1978 , June the 19 th.
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 24, 2009 12:39

I guess there already were nice threads on IORR but I couldn't find articles or reviews about the show.
On the web ,I found the set list and this from Beggards Banquet on line :

"Days later, on June 19, they played the Palladium in New York City. America’s largest metropolis had to cram its Stones fans into a theatre that held just 3,300 people. Listeners of WNEW were told that if they wanted to see the Stones, they had to send a postcard to the station. Winners were then phoned and instructed where to purchase their tickets. (The tickets had no date on them, and winners weren’t informed of the details until the day before the show.)"

[www.beggarsbanquetonline.com]

I 've just read a review from a musical magazine but unfortunately,it's in French .I will try to translate it as well as I shall can.

Any other newspapers articles for me ?
Thanks !
Sway .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Palladium NYC 1978 , June the 19 th.
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 24, 2009 13:21

Tough one. I remember a lenghty review in NME or Melody Maker in 1978 with some great photos too. This review sticks in my mind because of the reviewers remark along the lines of "standing behind a guy holding some expensive microphones in the air for some high-quality future bootleg album". This got me totally excited! After reading this and the rest of the, as far as I remember, quite ecstatic review I could not await the release of this supposedly high quality NY Palladium bootleg which in fact did not materialize until now, almost 31 years later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-24 13:23 by alimente.

Date: May 24, 2009 13:31

Is the boot really hi quality? I was at that show and could not find a boot for ages. When I did I didn';t think the quality was all that.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 24, 2009 17:59

I remeber that night well. I had just arrived at my job on Long Island at around 6 PM, when a friend called me and told me the Stones were playing a surprise show that night in Manhattan. Nothing I could do about it. I was at work. When I got home I put on the news and they were interviewing people who were pissed off that they hadn't been able to get in. One girl said "The scalper guy wanted $150. $150 to see the Rolling Stones! That's ridiculous!"

Date: May 24, 2009 18:28

I paid 200 that night.

Date: May 24, 2009 18:35

Palace Revolution 2000
Is the boot really hi quality? I was at that show and could not find a boot for ages. When I did I didn';t think the quality was all that.

Thats it - bottom line is that I believe the story was made up by the reviewer. Or the guy with those "expensive microphones" kept the tapes for himself until now. Who knows. I finally got a cassette tape of the show many years ago, but the quality was certainly not good, in fact well below the usual quality standart even at the time. Did not listen to it for years, but it definitely did not impress me at all. If it was the tape of the guy mentioned in the review I dont know but I doubt it.

Date: May 24, 2009 18:41

That is such a loss alimente. I saw them twice in 78: once @ JFK n Philly, which is now considered one of the weaker shows, but it was my first so it was great. But the Palladium live was insanely good.
It is remarkable, transformation some of these boots/shows have gone through over the years. The technical upgrades have been a wonder. I remember the very first boot I got of the JFK 78 show; (I had to get one) it was terrible. Now JFK 78 is pretty damn good. Paris 65 was UNLISTENABLE the first one I had. Now it is prime.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 24, 2009 19:54

......heady days in NYC for the Stones.....that show was billed primarily as a "press show"......almost impossible to score a ticket....I remember the W-NEW promotion but it was NOT for 3,000 seats....the furor to get tickets for that show was intense as they literally were the talk of the town with Some Girls all over the radio.

Date: May 24, 2009 19:56

The "transformation some of these boots/shows have gone through over the years" is indeed impressive. In the pre-digital era, tapes were traded on cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes, and the quality loss in each and every copying stage degraded the sound quality further and further. Since the invention of DAT and CDRs (not to speak of nowadays torrent downloading etc.) we have lossless copies much closer to the original source or at least very low generation copies.

A big part of my joy with Stones music nowadays comes from getting more or less huge quality upgrades of certain stuff I know since the early seventies from bootleg vinyl and tape trades. However, theres still some material that hasnt improved over the years, outtakes like Separately for example or some BBC recordings. But in general, the gain in sound quality over the years has been amazing.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 24, 2009 21:23

Where is the high sound quality boot available?

Date: May 25, 2009 14:47

HEILOOBAAS
Where is the high sound quality boot available?

Good question.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 25, 2009 14:54

With any digital format there is no loss of original quality. DAT to CD.

I guess with compression for an mp3 etc...you could say it loses quality... as far as full on though, a DAT copy is - the language is such that it's not a copy, it just is.

Date: May 25, 2009 15:30

Many thanks to all !
The only bootleg I've heard of is this one :

Is it a decent quality ? Is it the one released by Exile a few years ago in Japan ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: May 25, 2009 15:43

Here is the review of a French magazine (Aug. 1978 )
Thanks for your indulgence ( I made the translation myself );

It would be also very nice from those who attempted the show to tell me if non -truths or mistakes were written .

The show of the Palladium was an enormous carry-on. No tickets of press asserted by the Stones ' office(desk) . Nothing .On Atlantic they spoke about June 14th but at the last moment they needed to print the other tickets :The Stones will play the 19 th.

The Palladium is a tiny room in the American level and the buyers of the tickets was chosen by lottery.
The doors closed at 6 pm; the tickets costed 10 dollars but were sold until 200 dollars in front of the Palladium .

The concert started by "Road 66" , ... It is necessary to clarify that the Stones were this evening 5 on stage, and it was good to see them so. Without Billy Preston, without Ollie Brown, without synthesizers, without brass instruments, without phalllus inflatable. The machine rocks as ever.

In the second part of the concert , the new titles were played. Shattered provokes the enthusiasm. The song is particularly sent to the inhabitants of the Big Apple and Keith takes advantage to tear away from his Télécaster the wide riffs come of the high rises.
At the beginning, Jagger is completely dressed in lively red kid; but little by little he undressed himself ,and finishes the concert dressed in an incredible T-shirt .
Ronnie Wood is in fact sharply .

Keith, looks like the less a luxury Bohemian and the more a rocker, playing the sobriety with an enormous class. He changes no more guitar for every number. Charlie from the beginning to the end, will be a big perched radiant smile behind his drums. Keith throws himself on the microphone for the traditional "Happy". He moves a lot and has nothing more to do with the tired and sick drug-addict. His version of Happy is so staggering as Jagger throws himself on him and kisses him by laughing!
No "encore" while some days ago in New Jerseythey had been entitled to Street Fighting Man.
No matter !!Because they played for a 100 % fans audience !
Kate Simon Aout 78

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-25 15:47 by SwayStones.

Date: May 25, 2009 16:09

SwayStones
Many thanks to all !
The only bootleg I've heard of is this one :

Is it a decent quality ? Is it the one released by Exile a few years ago in Japan ?

I looks cool...but how does it sound?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 25, 2009 16:25

alimente

It sounds...listenable.....but a little disappointing, quite frankly; at least for people who only want the "better bootlegs". Great performance tho'

Date: May 25, 2009 16:32

alimente

Click on sample .
[www.rsconcerts.com]

The journalist is wrong,isn't she?
The opener was Let It Rock,not Road 66 ???

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: May 25, 2009 17:14

PUBLISHED in The NEW YORK TIMES june 21, 1978

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 25, 2009 17:15

The only silver pressed boot that exists is "New York Palladium" (Exile Original Masters EXM-005 AB ), and it's only a fair - good audience recording. No "decent quality" so far... The picture above must be its front cover.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-27 14:57 by midnrambler.

Date: May 25, 2009 18:06

jeanmarie
Thanks a lot for the article !It was very nice to read it .Are you French ?

midnrambler
The only boot that exists (so far) is "New York Palladium" (Exile Original Masters EXM-005 AB ), and it's only a fair - good audience recording. No "decent quality" so far... The picture above must be its front cover.

There is another one :

Date: May 25, 2009 18:31

The sound of the sample....well, it sounds like a 10th or 15th generation copy. The actual recording that comes through the hiss and phasing appears to be good. I can imagine that the actual master recording could be pretty good.

Date: May 25, 2009 20:21

Palace Revolution 2000
I paid 200 that night.

Face value was probably around $12 so $200 in '78 would be like paying a couple thousand today. Worth it, though, I am sure.

Date: May 25, 2009 21:40

SwayStones
jeanmarie
Thanks a lot for the article !It was very nice to read it .Are you French ?

oui french (jmarie sur twis), çà t'intéressera surement:
[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 25, 2009 21:46

Date: May 26, 2009 10:27

Jean-Marie
Oh,now I do remember you .Thanks a lot for sharing.
You've got a mail .

So,who have heard about the "Palladium New York City 1978" I posted above ?

Date: May 26, 2009 13:25

When I saw them in NYC I was living there; I was a Punk. Had no money; We had just gotten back from Philly where we saw them @ JFK. Stones were not supposed to play NYC at all, but everyone knew they had to since the whole summer was totally Stones. Some Girls and Miss You ruled boomboxes EVERYWHERE. I also already owned tix for Springsteen. I was out on 14th St dealing. But somehow I seem to recall that it all started later than 5 pm; not sure. I seem to remember it getting dark. And I also had run home because I had to get substances, my Springsteen tix and find more $ for my Stonestix. I traded Hash, Boss tix and about 100 to get in. And I have to say: I did not see only record execs; nor did they start with "Route 66". It was real hot! I saw Patti Smith, Verlaine, Tosh, Idol. It was incredible. I have never seen them in a small club so this was the best for me. The Palladium is not the Garden but it is really not that small;saw so many great shows there.
And to this day I am so dissappointed that there is no better boot for that show. I think we were searched when we went in.

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: May 26, 2009 17:39

Was real easy to score seats for $25 bucks. Great show!

Date: May 27, 2009 16:10

Palace Revolution 2000
I have never seen them in a small club so this was the best for me. The Palladium is not the Garden but it is really not that small;saw so many great shows there.

I think it sat about 3,000. Same size as the Beacon Theatre.

Date: May 27, 2009 18:09

Palace Revolution 2000
The Palladium is not the Garden but it is really not that small;saw so many great shows there.

That's why I tranlated : "The Palladium is a tiny room in the American level "

When was this picture taken ?

By reading your reviews,I could almost be there !
Thanks .

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: May 27, 2009 18:42

It was the classic night and day after seeing that overcrowded soggy show in philly than sitting about 10 rows out at this show .The stones even paid to restore the old chandelier from the old days.Mick came and did a song with tosh and the stones just smoked.I think i paid about 50 bucks for a ticket but if i remember correctly there was no radio lottery they just opened up the box office that day and announced stones for sale

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home