Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Flaming Lips
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 29, 2013 13:50

Saw the Flaming Lips last night. Another stunning show. I've seen literally hundreds of shows, as I was in the music business for 25 years & for my money the Lips are the most consistently amazing live act out there. Always something different & they clearly pump ticket money back into their presentation. A band that definitely follows their hearts. Clip isn't from last night but this song was a highlight & is from the new CD. I dragged a friend ( who is my landlord ) to the show. He's old enough to have seen Brian Jones. Nevertheless was blown away by the Lips. Hope you enjoy!

Re: OT: The Flaming Lips
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 29, 2013 14:51

I had flaming lips last night after eating a prawn vindaloo!

Anyway, back to the mainpoint - I haven't seen the Lips for about 15 years but love their latest album. Must go and see them next time they play London.

Date: July 29, 2013 15:13

They did a cover of "Gates of Steel" by Devo! You have great Indian food in England. I partook on both of my visits there. Tough to find in Seattle but getting better. Microsoft, etc. importing a lot of people from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-29 15:20 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 29, 2013 15:34

Never heard Gates Of Steel by Devo but funny you should mention them as I've just read that all their pre-1st album demos and musical curios are being released in 2 CDs very soon.

Date: July 29, 2013 15:45

Was on "Freedom of Choice". Album most famous for "Whip It". Flaming Lips did a very krautrock version. Think they've been listening to those old Can records. Not a bad thing!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 29, 2013 16:00

I saw them 2 weeks ago. I did not like the Lips last record. It was harsh-sounding, and kind of depressing thematically. But it was amazing live, with lots of power behind it.

Gates Of Steel was totally reworked from synth pop to something pretty heavy.

The Lips do find a way to keep it fresh and entertaining. Never afraid to ditch a hit (or 'warhorse') and do something more obscure...or to re-arrange the familiar. Not for everyone, but I love them live.

Date: July 29, 2013 16:14

The new record has grown on me a lot. Just read some info on why its a bit darker. Prior to recording, Wayne broke up with his gf of 25 years & Steven had a brief relapse to the dark side. Steven is ok now. His face was painted silver last night. I couldn't see them but evidently there were 2 women in silver body paint by the stage. Prompted an impromptu version of "One More Robot/Sympathy". Transcendant. I like how they are not afraid to take chances. Sometimes it blows up on them but more often its something special. Even the blowups are at least interesting. Have you heard their "Court of the Crimson King"? Wow! Only came out on limited vinyl but you can hear it online. The Lips are kind of cult thing for sure but count me as a member. Still think their version of "Moonlight Mile" is the best Stones cover I've ever heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-30 13:52 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:11

Sooooo overrated

Date: July 29, 2013 17:15

Might consider seeing them live if they play anywhere within a 50 mile radius of where I live...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-29 17:16 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:31

michaelsavage
Sooooo overrated

I gave up reading what critics or others thought of bands decades ago. I like to discover for myself, and rely on friends and a few websites for hints of things to check out - good or bad.

First time I heard the Lips I thought they were a novelty band. All changed when I saw them live, and then discovered a little more about the themes behind the albums Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, etc. Def not for everyone, but I like that they just go out and do what they want, against most expectations.

Not sure if the Lips are supposed to be hip or not...critical darlings or hated. The show I was at 2 weeks ago had maybe 3000 people, mostly nerdy and very into the music. Didn't seem like a trendy crowd. The band has been around for 30 years, and the crowd was a wide range of ages.

Date: July 29, 2013 19:21

I have seen the Lips twice, and they are phenomenal. Their music is so progressive, yet almost childlike at times.

Wayne Coyne may be the most interesting person in rock n' roll these days.

For the uninitiated, listen to "Waiting for a Superman" and "Do you Realize?", two of their best.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 29, 2013 20:19

I saw The Flaming Lips in a small club a few years ago and they were fantastic. I love 'em!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 29, 2013 20:25

Hi crholmstrom,

Every time that Wayne & his loons are playing anywhere remotely near me there is something else getting in the way: one live act that I really want to see.
The man is on another plane sometimes. Tremendous!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 30, 2013 04:59

I like 'em. Some of their albums you can listen to in the car and some of their albums are for home listening only.

Date: July 30, 2013 13:51

SimonN
Hi crholmstrom,

Every time that Wayne & his loons are playing anywhere remotely near me there is something else getting in the way: one live act that I really want to see.
The man is on another plane sometimes. Tremendous!

Cheers,

Simon.

I was that way also. To my regret, kept missing them. I've seen 3 shows in wildly different situations now. They are on my very short list of bands I don't miss now. Even if the material is darker, there is such a positive energy at their shows. Makes me realize why I love music all over again. Not many can do that. No baggage or expectations as they are different every time. See them, you won't regret it. & the tickets won't cost you hundreds of dollars!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-30 13:53 by crholmstrom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1510
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home