Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick & Keith interview - Esquire UK, July 2013
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 20, 2013 19:21

Good read, including Mick and Keith on Mick and Keith.

Jagger At 70: Mick and Keith Discuss Their Life in Rock'n'Roll

14 July 2013 By Mark Ellen

Their epic fiftieth anniversary celebrations include concerts, exhibitions, books, documentaries, a new compilation album and new songs. Mark Ellen met Mick Jagger and Keith Richards to talk about the past, the present and yes, the future of The Rolling Stones.

Mick, your relationship with Keith has been likened to a “marriage”. How’s married life at the moment?

MJ: People say the stupidest things and that’s one of the dumbest because it’s completely different from being married when you work with someone. I work with Keith and I’ve known him for a long time. A marriage is something completely different, having been in a marriage before. This is a working relationship. You always have difficult times with people you work with. Sometimes they can be really difficult and irascible and mind-bogglingly difficult but you have to try and get on and that’s what you try and do.

Keith, how’s married life with Mick?

KR: What do you expect after 50 years? You’ve got two very volatile guys who’ve been through a whole lot of stuff in their life and still somehow manage — when we look at each other eyeball-to-eyeball — we say, “You know what’s what, I know what’s what, let’s get on with it.” There’s something guiding us. Sometimes I despise the man, others, I love that man so much. It’s like your brother. I never had one, so he’s my brother. That’s the way it is, bless his heart.

Full article > [www.esquire.co.uk]

Re: Mick & Keith interview - Esquire UK, July 2013
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 20, 2013 19:24

Mick has to act like that or Keith would go on more benders and screw up intros.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 21, 2013 18:17

Sounds familiar...I guess they have canned answers for the same old questions, good Q&A though, too bad there was no question (or answer) about future plans (tour/record).

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: July 21, 2013 20:08

I enjoyed it!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 21, 2013 22:21

Thanks for sharing this! Great interview (2 interviews mashed-up into 1).

The anecdote about re-meeting the fans at the art exhibition was cool. I love hearing Mick's fresher insights into things.

As someone interested in Stones history this was interesting:

MJ: ...I’m not here to put any of the records straight or anything. The past is a territory which is lost and forgotten and everyone has very different views about what happened. And when they try and resuscitate their memories, everyone always give it a lot of twist, usually to their benefit. So, the basis of people’s memories is super-flawed. Everyone has a different tale to tell about what happened. You know when they do those experiments when they show, like, a traffic accident in a film and they have 10 people who saw it sitting there and they have to give their version of what happened? It’s completely and utterly different each time from one person to another, so imagine that put into a whole life.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 22, 2013 00:59

swiss

MJ: ...I’m not here to put any of the records straight or anything. The past is a territory which is lost and forgotten and everyone has very different views about what happened. And when they try and resuscitate their memories, everyone always give it a lot of twist, usually to their benefit. So, the basis of people’s memories is super-flawed. Everyone has a different tale to tell about what happened. You know when they do those experiments when they show, like, a traffic accident in a film and they have 10 people who saw it sitting there and they have to give their version of what happened? It’s completely and utterly different each time from one person to another, so imagine that put into a whole life.

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2013 01:21

MJ: ...I’m not here to put any of the records straight or anything. The past is a territory which is lost and forgotten and everyone has very different views about what happened. And when they try and resuscitate their memories, everyone always give it a lot of twist, usually to their benefit. So, the basis of people’s memories is super-flawed. Everyone has a different tale to tell about what happened. You know when they do those experiments when they show, like, a traffic accident in a film and they have 10 people who saw it sitting there and they have to give their version of what happened? It’s completely and utterly different each time from one person to another, so imagine that put into a whole life

Yes exactly Mick spot on....
In 1966 at the trial of Ronald Ryan the last man to hang in Australia, 14 people testified to being eyewitnesses of his escape
from Pentridge Prison and the fatal shooting and of warder George Hodson but each witness gave a completely different account of what they saw ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 22, 2013 02:05

Thanks for posting. An interesting read.

I saw one of Dean Martin's daughters sing last year (as part of a fundraiser; she was the incidental entertainment), I wonder if she's the daughter Keith slept with.

Also, if Sir Mick and Keith are "married," is Keith then "Lady Keith"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-22 04:23 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 22, 2013 10:20

One of Martin's five daughters married Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 22, 2013 10:34

This isn't a new interview, surely? (Or mash-up interview.)

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 22, 2013 12:57

It's an interview that shows two people that have nothing to say with words.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 22, 2013 13:17

But I actually like the way Jagger says so much without saying anything... His way to skip the questions is skillful, always with different tactics. And I think he has a justified point in saying nothing... I admire his privacy - I think it is much easier and tempting to 'tell it all', but he never does.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 22, 2013 14:33

....Keith speaks in Keith cliché now....

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 22, 2013 20:50

I thought it a decent interview. Are some of the knocks because Keith's second-to-last answer sounded a little arrogant and, for some, cut a little too close to the bone?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 22, 2013 21:00

Aquamarine
This isn't a new interview, surely? (Or mash-up interview.)

I thought it was a new interview, but in fact it's from december 2012. I couldn't find the Esquire link, but here's another one, from NME: [www.nme.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 22, 2013 23:40

I wasn't impressed by Keith informing the world that he had screwed Dean Martin's daughter after the show. A gentleman does not kiss and tell.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 22, 2013 23:52

I don't think he meant that literally, Bliss. Otherwise, nothing new in the "interview". As always. It's interesting though, from an amateur-psychological perspective that Keith sees his friendship
with Sir Michael as a marriage or a brotherhood while Sir Michael doesn't. Maybe that is one explanation, among others, to the rift between the two?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 22, 2013 23:57

>>I don't think he meant that literally, Bliss.

I'm pretty sure he did.

KR: In a way, yes, I would say so. Dino’s a lovely bloke and a great lush and he can say anything he likes, it’s his show. But I wonder how many fleas he had to pick off, you know? ’Cos I would not knock a guy. I just found it a bit unprofessional. At this time, pretty much an amateur myself, we’d only just started. And, “Whaaaat? Thank you, Dino!” [Laughs] I screwed his daughter later, I don’t give a shit!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 23, 2013 00:00

um ..well ..actually sometimes they do..

really, that comment was more a zinger for ol' Dino, RIP...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home