Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Best of Jerry Lee Lewis album reissued at last
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 19, 2013 23:15

Fantastic news: Jerry Lee's Southern Roots album is coming out on Bear Family as a 2cd complete sessions in August 2013.

Re: OT - Best of Jerry Lee Lewis album reissued at last
Date: June 20, 2013 00:11

whats the tracklisting?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 20, 2013 00:23

Bear Family haven't announced track listing yet

ROCKMAN

Date: June 20, 2013 14:25

I cannot wait.

Jerry Lee was absolutely plastered at the sessions, as was Huey Meaux, yet they made an amazing album. It has rock, soul, blues, country, dixieland, all as one, and some amazing guests on it, i.e. Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Al Jackson Jnr, Tony joe White, Doug Sahm, Carl Perkins, and the piano on it is fantastic.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 20, 2013 15:30

Funny bit:
[youtu.be]

Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: June 20, 2013 16:00

rollmops
Funny bit:
[youtu.be]

Rock and roll,
Mops

The wonder of it is how such a great album came out.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 20, 2013 16:15

...so it's NOT a 'Best Of'-album, but (iyo) the best one of all his albums ... rite?!

Don't wanna sound like a teacher, here, but since it's a totally different meaning, you might wanna change your thread title ("best of Jerry Lee's albums", f.i.) accordingly.

Date: June 20, 2013 16:49

RoughJusticeOnYa
...so it's NOT a 'Best Of'-album, but (iyo) the best one of all his albums ... rite?!

Don't wanna sound like a teacher, here, but since it's a totally different meaning, you might wanna change your thread title ("best of Jerry Lee's albums", f.i.) accordingly.

Correct, mea culpa on my part.

It's the best ever Jerry Lee Lewis album.

Date: June 20, 2013 17:05

True story...I met Jerry Lee one night at the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas. As he was signing an autograph for me, the cap on his front tooth popped off. He finished signing, put the cap back on his tooth and went on his way.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 20, 2013 17:21

21stcenturystones
True story...I met Jerry Lee one night at the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas. As he was signing an autograph for me, the cap on his front tooth popped off. He finished signing, put the cap back on his tooth and went on his way.

goodness gracious

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 20, 2013 18:57

Live At Hamburg Star Club is the essential record anyway.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 20, 2013 19:59

That's the LP with MEATMAN on it, one of his best songs!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 3, 2013 22:17

WHEN TWO MAD MEN MEET
Jerry Lee Lewis' "Southern Roots" album produced by Huey Meaux is the subject of German label Bear Family's new release on August 6. Southern Roots: The Original Sessions are the sessions that produced the 1974 album Southern Roots. A 2CD set and double LP will be offered. Fans have wondered whether the material here mirror any of the three Jerry Lee Lewis boxsets previously released by Bear Family.

Bear Family Records Michael Harris has said: "No rehash... and absolutely essential stuff to any Jerry Lee fan or lover of truly great music in general." From the Bear Family press release:

"Producer Meaux had just gotten out of prison and had a reputation you wouldn't want in your family tree. Separately, Meaux and Lewis each spelled trouble in a big way and could be impossible to work with. Together? God knows what would happen. The results could be an utter disaster or a stroke of genius. As Meaux later observed, 'I knew Jerry and I would fight, but in the end we'd come out with the record. We fought, but we delivered.'

"For three days in September, 1973 Jerry Lee Lewis and Huey Meaux went at it, and each other. Listen as Jerry Lee is turned loose in the studio by a producer who did not try to rein in Jerry's ego. In fact, Meaux did everything he could to feed it. That ego is nowhere more evident than on Jerry's version of the Percy Sledge 1966 hit, When A Man Loves A Woman, which Jerry turns into a sermon on war between the sexes.

"Jerry and Huey cut mostly southern music - soul, country, R&B and a touch of swamp pop. They even included a surprisingly impassioned version of Johnny Ray's 1952 hit record, Cry.

"Little did we know that there was supposed to be a second 'Southern Roots' album. Only ten tracks ever appeared on the LP - a scant 34 minutes of music - but we've got it all here, including the music that was scheduled to appear on the second 'lost album,' all neatly overdubbed and ready for release. We've also got the stuff you were never meant to hear, and there's plenty of it.
"Some 40 years, later this CD lets you be a fly on the wall as Jerry and Huey square off at one another, laughing, arguing and making music late into the night. It's Jerry Lee as you've never heard him before."

Here are the tracks:

CD 1: Meat Man, When A Man Loves A Woman, Hold On I'm Coming, Just A Little Bit, Born To Be A Loser, Haunted House, Blueberry Hill, The Revolutionary Man, Big Blue Diamonds, That Old Bourbon Street Church, Silver Threads Among The Gold, Hold On I'm Coming (fast version), Take Your Time, All Over Hell And Half Of Georgia, I Sure Miss Those Good Old Times, Raining In My Heart, Honey Hush, Cry, Margie

CD 2: Cry (alternative 1), Studio Chatter #1, Cry (alternative 2), Studio Chatter #2, Margie (alternative 1), Margie (alternative 2), Studio Chatter #3, Silver Threads Among The Gold (alternative 1), Silver Threads Among The Gold (alternative 2), Born To Be A Loser, Studio Chatter #4, When A Man Loves A Woman (alternative 1), Studio Chatter #5, When A Man Loves A Woman (alternative 2), Meat Man (vocal/piano mix), Raining In My Heart (vocal/piano mix), Studio Chatter #6 - Creedence & Cajuns, I Sure Miss Those Good Old Times (alternative 1), I Sure Miss Those Good Old Times (alternative 2), Studio Chatter #8 - Polk Salad Annie

The 2CD set retails at US$40 in the US while the double LP is priced at US$43

ROCKMAN

Date: July 3, 2013 23:06

All Over Hell & Half of Georgia is one of the greatest tracks you'd ever hear the Killer on.

You should also compare and contrast the version of Good Old Times on Southern Roots with that on Country Class. The Country Class version is good, but the Southern Roots version is greater. It also shows the difference in production technique between Huey Meaux and Jerry Kennedy. Huey miked the piano, whereas Kennedy, from 1971 onwards, started smothering the Killer in strings.

At least, in 1979, Bones Howe stripped the production back on the Elektra album, Jerry Lee Lewis. Eddie Kilroy, in 1980, had too many musicians on the Nashville sessions, but the song selections were excellent, i.e. Over The Rainbow, 39 & Holdin, Alabama Jubilee, When Two Worlds Collide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home