Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
2000 Light Years From Home
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 30, 2013 07:36

This is what makes this band brilliant. Out of nowhere they pull out 2000LYFH! It doesn't matter if the vocals were off, it sounded great. They almost played it to the second of the 4:45 length of the original album release. However, I did like the extended version from 1989, but this was just brilliant.

That is how the Stones take command of the stage. By playing these types of songs. It says were playing our music not just the greatest hits. Unfortunately, they only add one or two gems a show. There should be at LEAST six or more of these beauties every show.

Was this song rehearsed at the recent rehearsals? If not how did they manage to sneak it in?

Re: 2000 Light Years From Home
Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: June 30, 2013 09:31

Good, but I really prefer Atlantic City 1989 version, far better. Guitar intro, guitar playing ? Not good IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 09:32 by Powerage.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: June 30, 2013 09:51

<Was this song rehearsed at the recent rehearsals? If not how did they manage to sneak it in?>

see here,

[shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com]

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 30, 2013 10:11

Not one of my favourite rarities, but it worked well.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 30, 2013 10:24

The most interesting thing they've played in ages. Exciting.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 30, 2013 10:28

Awesome, that they played this at all!!! I love it! Not rehearsed I believe, Mick really @#$%& up the 1st verse, but - hey!!! Glad they did it!!!!

And I really donĀ“t wanna come up with some "We need more Matt Clifford"- nagging.... so thanks they did it!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 30, 2013 10:38

Ok, so many thoughts about this one:

First of all, HOLY CRAP, I can't believe they played this. That's totally out of left field. I love Their Satanic Majesties Request and this is obviously an amazing song. They haven't played it in over 20 years so its just a total amazing surprise.

Second, they played it ok at best. So happy they pulled it out, but I don't know when they could have rehearsed this and it shows. Its very rough. Honestly, it makes me think "wow, this must be how most of the songs sound during rehearsals when they meet up to play them for the first time in 5 years". This is such a far cry from the immensely tight band I saw last week, which makes me think it actually takes them a looong time to get so tight, as opposed to just coming naturally to them. And actually that their rehearsal times are quite needed (I've always thought they rehearse longer than other bands).

Third, the OP is wrong in saying this is why this band is brilliant. They hardly ever do something like this, pulling something totally out of left field they haven't played in years. They are actually the exact opposite of this which is a reason to hate them. They have such an amazing deep catalogue and they don't touch any of these, yet for some strange reason they feel comfortable enough to pull this out for a casual audience, at THE MOST casual of events. Just beyond weird, and shows they that could play stuff this rare at other shows and not fall on deaf ears like they think.

Leading me to my last point, Why the F(*& this song? Don't get me wrong, I love it and its a great choice, but whats the point of pulling it out with 3 shows left of this anniversary tour. They have played so many great songs just once, why take the time to learn something you haven't played in over 20 years just for the end of the tour. It more makes me mad because if they can do this, they should have been doing it the whole tour. This is what Bruce does and its why he's brilliant, not the Stones. And a song off such an obscure album. All of it really doesn't add up.

But having said all that, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate. This is an amazing song, and the spontaneity of it is fantastic for us not there. I'm glad they pull it out and wish they do it more, especially with this sort of material which is so criminally underrated. I do think the points I made are valid though.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 30, 2013 11:42

Great post, RollingFreak. Sums it up nicely.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 30, 2013 11:43

The Sicilian
This is what makes this band brilliant. Out of nowhere they pull out 2000LYFH! It doesn't matter if the vocals were off, it sounded great. They almost played it to the second of the 4:45 length of the original album release. However, I did like the extended version from 1989, but this was just brilliant.

That is how the Stones take command of the stage. By playing these types of songs. It says were playing our music not just the greatest hits. Unfortunately, they only add one or two gems a show. There should be at LEAST six or more of these beauties every show.

Was this song rehearsed at the recent rehearsals? If not how did they manage to sneak it in?

Really?

You're THAT impressed by one rarity?

Have you SEEN Bruce Springsteen's setlists? THAT'S impressive...not what the Stones did here. Nice thought but not enough.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 30, 2013 11:52

Great choice for a young crowd!

And played well for a one-timer...

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 30, 2013 12:11

Powerage
Good, but I really prefer Atlantic City 1989 version, far better. Guitar intro, guitar playing ? Not good IMO.

Atlantic City 1989 version, far better, right
thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 30, 2013 12:13

RollingFreak
They are actually the exact opposite of this which is a reason to hate them.

Wrong, mean and ugly all in one sentence.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: June 30, 2013 12:26

Mick isn't actually off key. To me it seems that he might have some problem hearing his own voice, judging also from Lisa blocking her left ear with her finger. He somehow sings like he is doing harmony to the original scale as singed in the studio version, coming up with a 'Misirlou' like harmonic, minor scale.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 30, 2013 12:44

Kirk
Mick isn't actually off key. To me it seems that he might have some problem hearing his own voice, judging also from Lisa blocking her left ear with her finger. He somehow sings like he is doing harmony to the original scale as singed in the studio version, coming up with a 'Misirlou' like harmonic, minor scale.

Wow, some people here really know about what they're talking. I don't know a thing about the techical side (just studied waves theory in college) but it's great to read stuff like this. You might be inventing it all, but it's good enough for me smiling smiley

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 30, 2013 12:50

The Sicilian

I really hope they will put this song on the setlist as a permanent choice on the european tour which hopefully will emerge.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 30, 2013 13:05

Ahh I'm gonna get nostalgic now, first time I saw them was at Hampden Park (Glasgow, Scotland - for those abroaders) and they played 200LTFH, was totally blown away, epecially with the extended version. They really too an insteresting album track and spun it on its head, was so atmospheric and trippy. TOP KNOTCH.

Hope they keep it in the setlist and experiment with the duration of it a la Gasgow.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 30, 2013 13:20

Piano sounds awful.

Date: June 30, 2013 13:37

Torres
Kirk

Wow, some people here really know about what they're talking. I don't know a thing about the techical side (just studied waves theory in college) but it's great to read stuff like this. You might be inventing it all, but it's good enough for me smiling smiley

No, I'm not inventing it at all. In the original version he sings ...graceful motion using the notes B(grace-) B(ful) B(mo-) and then to A(-tion).Here he is singing D(grace-) C(-ful) B(mo-) and then to A(-tion).

Date: June 30, 2013 13:40

Sorry, he seems to stay in B, which is D(grace-) C(-ful) C(mo-) and then to B(-tion). This is what he does and I like it!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 30, 2013 13:50

Yeah he wasn't "off key", but his singing was definitely a bit off, probably because he couldn't hear himself. WTF cares honestly it was great to hear that song, and yeah 1989, they played each fcking night in 1989 so what's the point of comparing, pointless obviously...but like someone posted when the Trabendo gig was discussed, some people here would still be bitching if the Stones played in their backyard !!!

When I heard Mick say "We're not going to play the entire Satanic Majesties' request, etc..." it reminded me of his very similar comment (except he said they were going to play the entire Satanic) at the O2/1 just before they launched into "Doom & Gloom" ;-)

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 30, 2013 13:54

I find it interesting that Mick did two so-called "unusual" songs in a festival setting.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 30, 2013 14:24

At least one of three lesser played songs in an otherwise unispiring setlist.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 30, 2013 15:00

A majestic thank you to The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 30, 2013 15:04

Not one of their very best songs, but a very interesting choice. It did sound like running through it another couple of times would have helped. In addition to the opening mistake by Jagger, I think he starts to come in early several times at the break. When he finally hits the right spot, he and Charlie look at each other and Charlie's smiling at him.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 30, 2013 15:27

keefriff99
The Sicilian

Really?

You're THAT impressed by one rarity?

Have you SEEN Bruce Springsteen's setlists? THAT'S impressive...not what the Stones did here. Nice thought but not enough.

I'd rather see this than 3+ hours of BS (ha, ha) any day. I like Bruce but he can be long winded & you have to suffer through a lot of unfortunate new material. I think for the festival, this set list was pretty close to perfect. Judging by what I'm seeing on Youtube, the band was pretty much on. Would've been cool to be there. Luckily I did get to see one show this tour. Glad they dropped Emotional Rescue!smoking smiley

Date: June 30, 2013 17:48

Kirk

If you also notice, Mick is adjusting or trying to adjust the electronic device on his belt. He grabs at it for good duration of the beginning of the song.

Date: June 30, 2013 17:51

austrianstones
<Was this song rehearsed at the recent rehearsals? If not how did they manage to sneak it in?>

see here,

[shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com]

Nice find. So now the question becomes who wanted it in? Did Mick suggest it or someone else? Either way it made it in.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 30, 2013 17:54

The Sicilian
This is what makes this band brilliant. Out of nowhere they pull out 2000LYFH! It doesn't matter if the vocals were off, it sounded great.

Actually, that's what makes Bruce Springsteen great. He does it every time, while The Stones does it once in a blue moon. I loved the rendition of 2000 Light Years, but you can't say it's a staple of a Stones show to pull out a rare song. They usually stick to their well known songs, and they play the bejesus out of them, so that's cool too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 30, 2013 17:57

JumpingKentFlash
The Sicilian
This is what makes this band brilliant. Out of nowhere they pull out 2000LYFH! It doesn't matter if the vocals were off, it sounded great.

Actually, that's what makes Bruce Springsteen great. He does it every time, while The Stones does it once in a blue moon. I loved the rendition of 2000 Light Years, but you can't say it's a staple of a Stones show to pull out a rare song. They usually stick to their well known songs, and they play the bejesus out of them, so that's cool too.

So funny to see how Gazza just totally converted you grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 30, 2013 18:13

The Sicilian
It doesn't matter if the vocals were off

Yup noticed that too... Jagger missed his intro into the song and overall he sounded in pain.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1338
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home