Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Smokey Robinson - amazing!
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 22, 2013 18:42

I'm not sure if he's touring but if he comes to your town, go see him! I saw the legend last night and he was fantastic! Such a great voice. I saw Martha Reeves, as well. She still has it! What a night.

Re: OT Smokey Robinson - amazing!
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:14

GumbootCloggeroo
I'm not sure if he's touring but if he comes to your town, go see him! I saw the legend last night and he was fantastic! Such a great voice. I saw Martha Reeves, as well. She still has it! What a night.

I went to that as well. Fantastic! 73 years old and he's still got it.
Tracks Of My Tears was a real highlight.

Date: June 22, 2013 20:07

that song was definitely a highlight for me, as well. And the kids straight out of the 80's that came up during Reeves' set were awesome! They were behind me in line before the show blasting De La Soul on their boombox. I loved it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:51

My wife, who grew up in Detroit, had always wanted to see him. We finally went last summer. Walked up to the box office right before show time and scored fourth row center. On the whole, very, very enjoyable, and while I found his "Love Man" routine, at the age of 72, to be bordering on laughable, my wife wasn't laughing, and I guess that's what really matters. Also, I think he really liked my Four Tops t-shirt.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 20:59 by tatters.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 22, 2013 21:00

Saw him at London's Roundhouse a few years back and yes, he's still got it. Incredible voice.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:32

I saw him in 2007 (with Marvin Tarplin, who was actually inaudible).
I found the musicians way too slick, but Smokey still had that great, great voice.
There was also a very lengthy video in the middle of the show, promoting his new album and taking all the pace out of the show (and there wasn't a lot of pace to begin with).

Still very glad I saw him. One of the greatest songwriters/vocalists ever.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: June 23, 2013 04:18

I was at the show and enjoyed Martha Reeves(Jimmy Mack, Heatwave, Dancing in the Street, Nowhere to Run.}.
Marvin Gaye should of played more and talked less. I left after his rap about Stevie Wonder{bit disconcerting seeing him making fun of him} He should tone it down a bit a leave the Vegas shtick to Vegas.

It was a free event, but very poorly planned. Wristbands got you into the tent. They gave them out at 5pm doors opened at 7pm show at 8pm, so you had people lining up since noon to get in. Otherwise you stood outside the tent with very poor sightlines and OLG(Ontario Lottery Corp} puts a kiosk right in the middle blocking the view of many. It should of been wide open and accessible to all.

Date: June 23, 2013 04:22

Floorbird
Marvin Gaye should of played more and talked less.

He hasn't said a word in 30 years confused smiley

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: June 23, 2013 04:27

oops Smokey Robinson.

Date: June 23, 2013 04:37

I know what you mean about it being too Vegas-y, though. Did he have those two dancers with him? Very pretty to look at, but really added nothing to the show other than a totally unnecessary hint of Vegas glitz and glamour, and served only to distract attention away from where it should have been; on the 72-year-old man sensually rubbing his hands all over himself as he sang something about a "love bath." I admire the fact that he can still pull a shtick like that off, but there has to come a point where it starts to become a little grotesque.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-23 04:39 by tatters.

Date: June 24, 2013 01:49

Yep, tatters. He had two dancers. They were not necessary at all. At one point they were swinging umbrellas around. It was silly.

this performance here is so great. what a voice! And what a song. File this under "damn, I wish I wrote that."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-24 05:07 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 24, 2013 03:54

Smokey and The Miracles did a hot set during the '64 TAMI show. It's showy, but in a fun, cool, non-Vegas good way. They shook it up.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 24, 2013 11:54

Smokey Robinson is on my Must-Have-Seen-In-Concert-List. Hopefully, I can see him also 1 day live.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home