Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

through the lonely nights
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 21, 2013 23:03

one of their best so called "ballads". Ever performed that live in concert?

i really like it!

Re: through the lonely nights
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 21, 2013 23:20

No, it has never been performed live in concert. It's a nice song and a reminder of a time when the B-side mattered.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 21, 2013 23:25

Love this song!

Date: June 21, 2013 23:29

There was a rumour that Jimmy Page is responsible for the solo, no?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 21, 2013 23:32

Originally slated for release on GHS, hence it's production credit to Jimmy Miller. Yep a great song...I remember being pretty ecstatic after finally hunting down the IORR 45 at some point in 1988.

Date: June 21, 2013 23:34

Interesting that it was slated for release on Goat's Head Soup. I wonder why they thought something as dull as Silver Train or Hide Your Love would be better? Then again, I kinda like the fact it's a hidden treasure. B-sides ruled!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 23:53

Lovely song.thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 22, 2013 00:28

Big Al

I've read that as well but all things point to Taylor, not Page, playing that. That's more Taylor's style anyway, that fluidity. Page wasn't that fluid.

Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: June 22, 2013 03:44

GasLightStreet
Big Al

I've read that as well but all things point to Taylor, not Page, playing that. That's more Taylor's style anyway, that fluidity. Page wasn't that fluid.

That HAS to be Mick Taylor - and you really tell its from the GHS sessions....it is a great song - it is absolutely amazing what the Stones were considering B-sides and not releasable material - they still blow me away from 1968-1978 - it was just poring out of them...

Date: June 22, 2013 05:58

One of my favorite Stones songs; has all those 70's Stones elements.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 22, 2013 06:18

When Jagger uses the country twang in his voice, it's always great. He should do more of that. He's great on TTLN, but there's many examples. You Win Again from SG DeLuxe for instance.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: June 22, 2013 06:44

I love that song!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Date: June 22, 2013 10:06

Hey now.

I love "Hide Your Love."

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: June 22, 2013 18:37

Funny timing. I just won a portable turn-table. I have not had a turn-table to play my records in over 20 years. I got out the old 45s and the first song I played was Through the Lonely Nights.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Date: June 22, 2013 20:29

I also remember buying some kind of boot collection of official songs (with Mick on the cover next to the Seine river) a couple of years later, so probably in 1990, at a record fair because it had TTLN on it. Really good quality, don't remember any crackles so it must have been from a good '45.

Anyawy here's the RS article that said TTLN (TTLH actually) and Criss Cross were on GHS : [www.rollingstone.com]

The recording is completed and approved. Included are ten original Jagger/Richards songs, of which only "Silver Train" has been recorded previously (by Johnny Winter). The other nine titles are "@#$%&," "Hundred Years," "Can You Hear the Music?" "Through the Lonely Hours," "Angie," "Hide Your Love," "Crisscross," "Do Do Do Do" and "Dancing with Mr. D," described as a "voodooish reggae."

Missing : Winter and Coming Down Again

Should have dropped the HYL jam and yes, Silver Train possibly.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:36

Big Al
Interesting that it was slated for release on Goat's Head Soup. I wonder why they thought something as dull as Silver Train or Hide Your Love would be better? Then again, I kinda like the fact it's a hidden treasure. B-sides ruled!

Coming Down, Winter, Angie......bunch of mid-tempo numbers.....You would have missed Silver Train.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:43

My favorite ballad from IORR if it had made it on the record. I love it, when i heard it "for the first time" i realised it must have been one of the first Stones song i´d ever heard because i found this nice strange feeling and memory as having heard it when i was 1 or two years old (the other one is Cherry oh baby).
I hoped they would play it with Taylor on this tour (and please do guys if you read this). It would be well recieved i´m sure because it´s such a good and catchy song.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:45

beautiful song...love the old picture sleeve

Date: June 22, 2013 21:17

Thrylan
Big Al

Coming Down, Winter, Angie......bunch of mid-tempo numbers.....You would have missed Silver Train.

No cause we would have had "Criss Cross"! See the "approved" line-up for GHS above ;-)

Date: June 22, 2013 21:29

Sucks it didn't make it, but I am in the minority of people who like Silver Train. Sure it sounds like ADTL, but if it was alternated with it on tours, it may have evolved into a classic rocker.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 23, 2013 01:35

Thrylan
Sucks it didn't make it, but I am in the minority of people who like Silver Train. Sure it sounds like ADTL, but if it was alternated with it on tours, it may have evolved into a classic rocker.

I always considered goats head soup a disaster because of its direction. For any other band it would have been a peak but for them it was a sign they'd lost the edginess. Lester bangs declared the end of rock n roll in his review of it. They took a wrong turn once before with TSMR but Keith corrected it and out came beggars banquet. But this time he couldn't be bothered and IORR was more of the same. Good songs played well but that's not good enough if you want to be the GRNRBITW.

Sorry for the tangent I was trying to understand why I never held silver train and ADTL in the same category. Silver Train is a derivative rehash IMO.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 23, 2013 01:44

After exile I can understand where you are coming from < I stand to be corrected if it wasn't after exile, had a drink > But to me GHS stands out as one of my favourite albums.

Has I said I have had a drink.smileys with beer

Date: June 23, 2013 01:46

It was after exile yes.
I enjoy listening to GHS. Just think it was a sign of what the next 40 years would bring, that's all.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 23, 2013 04:28

It's a great song, but I kinda understand why it was left off GHS.

While it's a pretty little song, it doesn't bring anything "new" to the table. We can always debate if Hide Your Love or Winter are better or worse than Through The Lonely Nights, but they at least explore new and differen sounds, not heard much previously.

I'm glad it got released. It's one of those hidden gems.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 23, 2013 05:39

Possibly their greatest B-side.

They could've easily left Angie off and put this one on. But then they wouldn't have had that huge sappy hit.

Oh well.

Date: June 23, 2013 06:24

sonomastone
Thrylan

I always considered goats head soup a disaster because of its direction. For any other band it would have been a peak but for them it was a sign they'd lost the edginess. Lester bangs declared the end of rock n roll in his review of it. They took a wrong turn once before with TSMR but Keith corrected it and out came beggars banquet. But this time he couldn't be bothered and IORR was more of the same. Good songs played well but that's not good enough if you want to be the GRNRBITW.

Sorry for the tangent I was trying to understand why I never held silver train and ADTL in the same category. Silver Train is a derivative rehash IMO.

Good points......GHS is like Godfather III, victim of previous success. I like IORR too, hut you start to really feel the difference in the Mick & Mick songs and the Mick and Keith songs. I guess I like Silver Trains "potential".

Date: June 23, 2013 06:28

Thrylan
sonomastone
Thrylan

Good points......GHS is like Godfather III, victim of previous success. I like IORR too, hut you start to really feel the difference in the Mick & Mick songs and the Mick and Keith songs. I guess I like Silver Trains "potential".

perfect analogy.

Date: June 23, 2013 06:33

Kind of why I think the SG through UC is underrated......There was a four album peak that IMO, never has/will be surpassed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home