Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: For fans of Wings Over America, finally getting deluxe re-release
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 03:07

Wow! this looks and sounds amazing. Finally the deluxe treatment for Wings Over America:

[ee271256dfaf58785d52-71506c57a53e8be6af72382b81deca5a.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com]

One of my first live albums I bought, and was captivated by it. Tripple album, and I listened to it non-stop. Ended up having to buy several copies because I would wear them out!

Re: OT: For fans of Wings Over America, finally getting deluxe re-release
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 10, 2013 03:17

Yes, I would play mine so often, the edges of the records would be poking through holes in the album jacket. A great and rocking recording, particularly on tracks like Maybe I'm Amazed, which made the studio counterparts sound lightweight and outdated by comparison. Even lesser known songs would shine because of the edge these concert treatments were given. Joe English was Macca's best ever drummer as a solo artist, and Jimmy McCulloch his best ever guitarist. Both dead now, alas. I used to watch the concert on cable all the time as well.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 10, 2013 03:28

that dvd looks cool

Date: April 10, 2013 03:29

Joe English isn't dead! He is 64 living in North Carolina and heavily involved in religion and doesn't play music anymore.

Very sad about Jimmy McColloch, I totally agreew with you about them being the best sidemen with Macca, along with Denny Laine. Very cool post with the videos. This set really sounds amazing! Lots of nice books, DVD, bonus disc live in San Francisco.. Well done Paul!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 10, 2013 03:46

Looking forward to seeing this in theaters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 10, 2013 04:19

Wings rocked much harder in concert than the studio versions of these songs would lead you to believe, and the live album does capture that. What it doesn't even begin to capture, however, is the electricity inside the arena at those concerts. It was unlike anything I've experienced since.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 04:31 by tatters.

Date: April 10, 2013 05:23

I know tatters! I am so jealous you got to see that tour in Detroit. I was 12 when he rolled throught the US, and didn't even know about tours and even where to begin finding out about live shows and how to go. But I was a Wings fanatic and love collecting posters, 45s, albums...anything I could get my hands on.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 10, 2013 06:17

tatters
Wings rocked much harder in concert than the studio versions of these songs would lead you to believe, and the live album does capture that. What it doesn't even begin to capture, however, is the electricity inside the arena at those concerts. It was unlike anything I've experienced since.

Great band and a great album as well. McCartney really peaked that year; Simply dominated airplay in the USA between both Wings and Beatles tunes.

Date: April 10, 2013 06:39

Yeah was a great year for Macca. Also The Beatles Rock n' Roll Music compilation was out, double album did very well. PUt a lot of their music back in the charts. So Macca was riding hi hi hi!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:35

whitem8
I know tatters! I am so jealous you got to see that tour in Detroit. I was 12 when he rolled throught the US, and didn't even know about tours and even where to begin finding out about live shows and how to go. But I was a Wings fanatic and love collecting posters, 45s, albums...anything I could get my hands on.

I think the second album I ever bought was Venus and Mars - first was Elvis Golden Records volume 1 - still have both!

Loved it. ROCK SHOW!

Date: April 10, 2013 07:53

I would argue that Venus And Mars/Rock Show/Jet is one of the greatest openers for a concert ever.

Date: April 10, 2013 08:43

I agree! That opening slavo was incredible. Actually, on the record you can feel the tension as the opening bars of Venus and Mars starts. And it is so thrilling the transition to Jet, very powerful.

Another one I simply love is Spirits of Ancient Egypt. Some wonderful candy floss rock with hippy trippy lyrics. I always loved on the studio album how Venus and Mars reprise segued into Spirits of Ancient Egypt. Great bass on that song!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 10, 2013 08:49

Intressting! It happens so that I listened to Pauls both Triple Live Albums (the other one is 'Tripping The Live Fantastic'), 'Paul is Live', Harrison Live In Japan, and a Tripple album with Ringo's 3 first 'Ringo and his All-Starr Band' and topped it with Lennons 'Onceuponatime' last saturday...

Great stuff all of it...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 10, 2013 08:59

whitem8
Joe English isn't dead!

Well, what do you know, so he isn't dead. It's always very strange to me, all these OT threads about people who have died, I think they have already died, and then these people I think have already died who haven't--perhaps I, in fact, have died but just don't know it yet.

Date: April 10, 2013 09:00

Cranberry sauce...Paul is dead.

Date: April 10, 2013 09:18

Come On
Intressting! It happens so that I listened to Pauls both Triple Live Albums (the other one is 'Tripping The Live Fantastic'), 'Paul is Live', Harrison Live In Japan, and a Tripple album with Ringo's 3 first 'Ringo and his All-Starr Band' and topped it with Lennons 'Onceuponatime' last saturday...

Great stuff all of it...
But you missed the best one: Concert For Bangladesh!

Just kidding (well, half kidding). All really great live albums though. Sounds like an intense but enjoyable day of music.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 10, 2013 10:01

RollingFreak
Come On

Great stuff all of it...

Just kidding (well, half kidding). All really great live albums though. Sounds like an intense but enjoyable day of music.

smiling smiley The Bangla Desh concert is always a must see when it's a watching Concerts on DVD-day...thumbs up

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 10, 2013 10:14

Does he include a live version of Crossroads this time?

I bet Americans wonder WTF that tune is all about.

Date: April 10, 2013 10:18

Nope, no live version of the Crossroads theme...never done live.

Date: April 10, 2013 10:35

Come On
RollingFreak
Come On

Great stuff all of it...

smiling smiley The Bangla Desh concert is always a must see when it's a watching Concerts on DVD-day...thumbs up
Good to hear. That concert/show in general is just one of my personal favorite in terms of live performance and for George as a person. Its what made him my favorite Beatle.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 10, 2013 10:44

Wow, great news.
It's been ages since I heard that album.
But I remember really liking it, especially McCartneys bass which was very loud in the mix...if I remember well.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 10, 2013 11:50

Too bad there isn't any BluRay planned...surely they could have put one together using the theatrical release that has "resolution" to spare?

It's not clear whether it will be the whole concert or if there will be the usual missing songs...I'd need to look it up but I think some only appeared in VH1 special at some point. I must three versions of that movie/documentary.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 10, 2013 11:51

BowieStone
Wow, great news.
It's been ages since I heard that album.
But I remember really liking it, especially McCartneys bass which was very loud in the mix...if I remember well.

Your memory serves you well, BowieStone, it is a great bass driven album. And THIS track kills ´em all!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 10, 2013 12:54

Fantastic news ! I am looking forward to this, big time.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 10, 2013 12:55

Now, if the Stones would only be nice to us, and give us a comprehensive archive set of cds, too.

Date: April 10, 2013 13:00

whitem8
I know tatters! I am so jealous you got to see that tour in Detroit.

Nassau Coliseum, May 21, 1976. (I was still living in New York then.)

Date: April 10, 2013 13:07

SweetThing
tatters

Great band and a great album as well. McCartney really peaked that year; Simply dominated airplay in the USA between both Wings and Beatles tunes.

Silly Love Songs and Got To Get You Into My Life were both Top 10 in the singles chart (at the same time) that summer. It was an exciting time to be a Beatles fan. We hadn't yet given up hope that we might one day still be able to see all four of them onstage together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 14:32 by tatters.

Date: April 10, 2013 13:13

Ah thought you were in Michigan at the time. Well, none the less, you saw him with Wings, great achievement. I have since seen McCartney five times, but really wish I saw him backed by Denny Lane, McColloch, and English.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 10, 2013 14:10

you might be interested to have a look here...

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

...and there :

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Date: April 10, 2013 14:43

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home