Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

why Keith is playing Les paul jr?
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 07:13

Just like to know that why Keith is favouring Les Paul Jr in the recent concerts over his black Gibson which he played regularly in the previous tour?

Re: why Keith is playing Les paul jr?
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 17, 2013 07:16

He has always played a Jr. On MR and MM...they have a nice ratty sound, I have a blonde one just like it! Frankly, it's a welcome sight, I cfinge when I see the 335......it means he might solo. At this point I would like to see him concentrate on mainly rhythm, he still does that as well as anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 07:54 by Thrylan.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 17, 2013 08:50

I love those Juniors! (The ones Keith has aren't blondes, though - they're TV yellow)
There's a thread all about them around here somewhere ... ah here it is: [www.iorr.org]
(For gear questions, run a search for "Ratbag Boogie" - that's the name of iorr's very educational Guitar Thread Index)

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 17, 2013 08:55

Juniors... drool...

They might be a bit lighter.. or am I thinking of the Melody Maker which is very light (but still mighty with the P90).

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 17, 2013 09:55

I have a cherry '58 Junior. Yep, they're light and they sure do sound beautiful.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 17, 2013 10:16

Thrylan
... when I see the 335 ...

Keith's black ES is a 355. I love the way Keith makes that one sing too,
but Keith behind an LP is say-hallelujah time in my house - especially if its a Junior

Posted by: howled ()
Date: May 17, 2013 10:26

The Juniors have P-90 pickups which have their own sort of sound.

Date: May 17, 2013 10:27

howled
The Juniors have P-90 pickups which have their own sort of sound.

Yes, "grainy" is how I would describe it.

Great for raw rock.

They clean up if you turn the volume down.

Date: May 17, 2013 10:41

My "modified" Melody Maker with a P90.

I got it for £250 on Ebay (a bargain).

I put a humbucker in the neck and made the scratchplate which some might think is sacriledge, but the guitar only cost £250.

The P90 is a great pickup.

The middle switch position is out of phase (accident, not intentional), it sounds "quacky" and is like having a built in effect. I might flip the magnets one day but it's interesting as it is.

This guitar is light as a feather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 10:43 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: May 17, 2013 10:51

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Melody Makers and LP Juniors.

I've got a double cutaway Gibson LP Jnr and it Rocks.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 17, 2013 14:30

The weight certainly could be a factor, they are light, and sound great for those songs! As I stated earlier, he can still lay down that wicked MM riff effortlessly, I just enjoy watching him do what he does better than anyone- lay down the rhythm. Grainy is a good description.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 18, 2013 02:00

Has to be lightness

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 18, 2013 03:29

sanQ
Has to be lightness

They're actually not that light - a Melody Maker is really light. Nothing sounds like a Jr. It's perhaps my favorite electric guitar.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 18, 2013 05:53

I've got the same one as his, a TV 1957. It sounds like Neil Young's LP when cranked up. These guitars need to be played often to hold their charm and tuning. Much like a Tele where KR keeps the same setting through out a tune, it's a plug in and forget guitar, you don't get hung up on the controls like with a ES 355 or LP Standard, you just play away. Many players grow away from the Standard LP as it's wide range of tones, some unusable for big power stuff, can be distracting. It's easy to forget Les Paul was primarily a jazz guitarist. Still heavy metal guys play juiced up ones through giant amps but I don't think KR likes Standards/Customs any longer even though an old one can be pretty light.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:14

DoomandGloom
Much like a Tele where KR keeps the same setting through out a tune, it's a plug in and forget guitar, you don't get hung up on the controls like with a ES 355 or LP Standard, you just play away. Many players grow away from the Standard LP as it's wide range of tones, some unusable for big power stuff, can be distracting.

The "distraction" reason reminds me of a few stories from the Les Paul Forum regarding another LPJr player:

lespaulforum.com
Nitebob
Thunder's Twins and TV Gibsons
Johnny also had a 57 TV Special, that he destroyed in Memphis at an Iggy and the Stooges show. He had hit the switch to the neck pickup, which was always turned off, he thoght the guitar was broken and smashed it and tossed it into the audience. A riot insued. Several Dolls were arrested. When they got back to NYC, we got him a one pickup TV Junior, so he didn't have to deal with a switch and 4 knobs. He used .009s. Most of the twins were rental amps. He used 4 Twins at a Bottom Line gig. Everything eas on 10, even the reverb.

vintage58
The info in your second reply is a huge help! Concerning Johnny's preference for one-pickup guitars, your post also goes a long way to explain a photo that appears in the booklet for a live CD of his last concerts in Japan, in which Johnny is shown with a P-90-equipped goldtop, but there's a couple of large pieces of what looks to be black electrical tape over the pickup selector switch. I guess he wanted to avoid another riot (ha!).

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:43

pftw04
Just like to know that why Keith is favouring Les Paul Jr in the recent concerts over his black Gibson which he played regularly in the previous tour?

I expect the reason is that he is Keith Richards and he can play what the hell he wants.

Why is Keith Using The Les Paul Jr. So Much
Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 31, 2013 03:07

Any ideas?

Maybe it's lighter than the other standard tuning guitars he used to play?

Or maybe he just likes the sound more?

Re: Why is Keith Using The Les Paul Jr. So Much
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 31, 2013 03:17

I have one, a 57, it is loud. The wrap around tailpiece makes the guitar super slinky even with heavy gauge strings. Once it gets settled and plays in tune it is magical and sends out messages to "play me" from it's case... It's also simple as can be, 1 pickup, 2 knobs... When he's playing cranked up through his Twins he must feel unobstructed by anything but his musical desires . KR has great taste in guitars and his junior must be amazing.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: May 31, 2013 03:17

beachbreak
Any ideas?

Maybe it's lighter than the other standard tuning guitars he used to play?

Or maybe he just likes the sound more?

Seems you just answered your own question - twice

Posted by: voodoopug ()
Date: May 31, 2013 03:45

My guess is that the Junior and that 63 telecaster he has been using is lighter and has a smaller neck. Probably easier to play than his 355. The 355 has a monster neck on it and weighs a lot because of the bigsby.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 31, 2013 04:30

Remember the Dan Armstrong he played way back when, like at Altamont?

I was going to purchase one in the early 70's and it was awesome with the interchangeable pickups but talk about heavy!

The thing weighed a ton.

Heaviest thing I ever strapped on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 04:30 by beachbreak.

Posted by: ts ()
Date: May 31, 2013 04:35

Just bought my first Les Paul. What a great guitar. can not believe the sustaining power of the thing. Great for my old man fingers. And such an iconic thing. Rock on

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 31, 2013 06:53

Juniors are excellent guitars: light in weight, and they sound great! Sure, they're limited by having only one pickup, but the tone is big and fat.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: May 31, 2013 09:13

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 31, 2013 09:52

voodoopug
My guess is that the Junior and that 63 telecaster he has been using is lighter and has a smaller neck. Probably easier to play than his 355. The 355 has a monster neck on it and weighs a lot because of the bigsby.

The '61 Tele has a very thin and sleek neck, but the Junior has a fairly wide and fat (C-shaped) neck. The 355 does not have a monster neck -it's that typical '59 neck shape, a full C with small shoulders so it is about the best necks to play, just as any '59 LP/335 neck.

The weight of the 355 is comparable to any good LP, so around 9 lbs.

I guess the reason he plays the junior so much is that he really likes the sound and the weight it plays and feels. Simple innit.

Mathijs

Posted by: TeleTwin ()
Date: June 1, 2013 12:51

Hallo Mathijs,

what do you think, which P90 pickup is in keith junior? the original gibson or anotherone, i think is no humbucker, its a real dog ear p 90.

TeleTwin

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 1, 2013 13:27

TeleTwin
Hallo Mathijs,

what do you think, which P90 pickup is in keith junior? the original gibson or anotherone, i think is no humbucker, its a real dog ear p 90.

TeleTwin

Original P90.

Mathijs

Posted by: TeleTwin ()
Date: June 1, 2013 13:39

thanks Mathijs can you help on this question too?
[www.iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1504
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home