Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick & Keith on ticket prices and scalping - AP, May 24
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 24, 2013 22:06

From an Associated Press article published in Billboard today:

"If I see a scalper, I'll scalp him," the Rolling Stones' Keith Richards said, laughing.

He said he would like to play free shows to balance the high cost for tickets; The Rolling Stones' "50 & Counting Tour" has a range of ticket prices, and Pollstar reported that the average price of a ticket among the tour's seven shows was $355.14.

"I'd do some free shows. I'd work my butt off and I don't care how much. But these are set up above my head, man," Richards said in a recent interview. "You're kind of locked in a thing here whether you like it or not. I wish it was five bucks a ticket."

The Rolling Stones did play a secret show at the Echoplex club in Los Angeles last month, where fans got in by winning a lottery and had to be ID'd and given photo bracelets to eliminate the chance of scalping the tickets, which were just $20.

But Mick Jagger said there isn't much the artists can do about scalping and secondary sources for tickets.

"The artist is totally powerless in this. People have made a lot of fuss about it before, but on the other side, some people are like, 'We might as well participate in it.' And you can't really blame the artist for participating in it because why shouldn't they in a way?" he said. "I know we don't participate in it, but nevertheless, I don't blame people if they wanted to do it."

"You can look at it like, 'Well, no one's making any money except these secondary ticket selling companies and they're making more money than anyone,'" Jagger continued. "It's completely legal so until it's illegal, there's nothing much anyone can do about that."

[www.billboard.com]

Re: Mick & Keith on ticket prices and scalping - AP, May 24
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 24, 2013 23:19

Personally it doesn't effect me. I was hooked up free for Brooklyn by bluffing and begging the VIP Office. Scored $85 tickets for first night in Philly and am scamming for first night in Boston right now... I never care where I sit and always end up close enough anyhow. The retail seats are for people that can afford them. The Stones are old hippies and want you to pay plenty if you can afford to but there's always a chance for a "scholarship" if you can find it... And yes a free concert in Central Park lifting the cigarette ban for one night only...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 25, 2013 00:08

DoomandGloom
Personally it doesn't effect me. I was hooked up free for Brooklyn by bluffing and begging the VIP Office. Scored $85 tickets for first night in Philly and am scamming for first night in Boston right now... I never care where I sit and always end up close enough anyhow. The retail seats are for people that can afford them. The Stones are old hippies and want you to pay plenty if you can afford to but there's always a chance for a "scholarship" if you can find it... And yes a free concert in Central Park lifting the cigarette ban for one night only...

I like your style.....just be there.....and come what may. Concerning the article, why do I beleive Keith, but not Mick? Is it just me?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 25, 2013 00:19

Thrylan
DoomandGloom

I like your style.....just be there.....and come what may. Concerning the article, why do I beleive Keith, but not Mick? Is it just me?

FYI -> Be careful about who you admit to believing as it can get you in trouble around here. Last time I checked, the unofficial policy is:

Keith is ALWAYS full of sh!t.
Ronnie is always clueless.
Charlie is always honest but never says anything.
Jagger is cryptic but can believed 100% if you have the magic decoder ring.

FWIW -> It's not just you. I tend to believe a fair bit of what KR says as well but if you call me on that or quote me on it I'll claim that someone edited this post!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 25, 2013 00:20

Thrylan

I don't believe much of what Keith says, especially when he talks about money. He seems to like to sit back and say things to make Jagger look like the sole greedy one. Make No Mistake... Keith enjoys the lifestyle he has - thanks to Jagger's business dealings.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 25, 2013 00:25

The problem is they had agreed to a figure that each of the four members needed to make for them to tour. About 2 million apiece I think, With no stadium shows that # for 18 shows was unrealistic. They'll get what they need..

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 05:47

Scalping doesn't have to be negative term. I live in FL...if I can get to Chicago and the Stones are sold out..I would have to turn to a scalper. That is not a bad thing in my book. THAT BEING SAID...I never use them. I do use people who have an extra ticket & are trying to sell or give it away. It is a fascinating lesson in economics. The scalpers may have an upper hand ..but as soon a show/event starts the scenario changes...I have the upper hand as they don't want to be stuck with tickets. Here in Florida I can get into almost any event free or no charge. Dolphin football games for example. For years I have been getting free or tickets for $5 or $10. Never from a scalper though. Also ..when I have an extra ticket, say for a baseball game. I look for a family at the box office looking to buy one & give it to them. Peace.

Date: May 25, 2013 06:16

jamesfdouglas
Thrylan

I don't believe much of what Keith says, especially when he talks about money. He seems to like to sit back and say things to make Jagger look like the sole greedy one. Make No Mistake... Keith enjoys the lifestyle he has - thanks to Jagger's business dealings.

Yup! Keith's a total poseur in that regard. He wants to appear as the gunslinger he once was, as the bohemian he once was, but in reality he's living out quite the richy rich lifestyle in Connecticut with his family and rarely recording new music. People dump all their frustration consistently on Jagger, but they'd be NOWHERE without Mick at this point. They're lucky they've survived . . . due to Mick.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:17

This is such bullshit. What they aren't saying is the Promoter is like an Underwriter. The promoters have given the Stones $80MM for the tour and there are add backs or substractions based on the financial performance of the tour. The Promoter approves the needed prices on the tour and the Stones were apprised of the plan and agreed.

THERE IS VERY LITTLE SECONDARY MARKET WHEN YOU CHARGE $600 A TICKET.

JAGGER KNOWS WITH OVERPRICING THE STONES HAS CLOSED THIS PRICING ARBITRAGE ALL FOR THEMSELVES AND THE PROMOTER!!!

Except for the best seats there is not a lot of secondary market going on. Indeed many are taking a hit because the Stones have not played Mick Taylor enough and therefore many fans are not shelling out the big bucks to see his return.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:21

mr_dja
Thrylan
DoomandGloom

FYI -> Be careful about who you admit to believing as it can get you in trouble around here. Last time I checked, the unofficial policy is:

FWIW -> It's not just you. I tend to believe a fair bit of what KR says as well but if you call me on that or quote me on it I'll claim that someone edited this post!

Peace,
Mr DJA

What about Mick T? Have to start including him now too, especially since he saved The Rolling Stones, Western Civilization, the universe, etc.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:33

uhbuhgullayew
mr_dja
Thrylan
DoomandGloom

Peace,
Mr DJA

What about Mick T? Have to start including him now too, especially since he saved The Rolling Stones, Western Civilization, the universe, etc.

Soon... very soon... seems the only reason that someone is propped up these days is so the masses can knock them over, if only for their personal amusement. Bashing on the Stones turned into a sport around here....

So Mick Taylor, brace yourself, when "they" turn against you too, it might get ugly. Id bet the over analyzers cant wait to get out their microscopes and start analyzing Taylor to the sub-atomic level... and then.... well you know what kind of eyes they got.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:34

anyway....

If there are eventually one or two free shows, as Keith would like (he says) then would people believe Keith? Or would that still not be enough?.... and when a ka-billion people show up for the free concerts show up, and it turns into a clusterfk, will that just be another thing for people to complain about? another thing to say how fkd they are?

The major concert business is bigger than anyone one person. No one band or one person can change this monterous thing... and several have tried, but it seems the BS if deep and wide, the system is rigged, there is simply too much money involved.

Cheers and props to all of the bands and people who have tried to alter the concert system from tickets to scalping to over charging of fees to getting good tickets to the most loyal fans... maybe someday...

Keith, as far as I am concerned, I appreciate your words, they makes sense, thanks man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home