Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Buddy Guy
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:31

Anyone know if Buddy Guy will be in Chicago during these dates? Looking at the tour schedule posted it shows nothing for the stretch.If you hear a a special club date just whisper it in my ear.

Re: Buddy Guy
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 24, 2013 01:27

Now THERE'S a guest I would want to see with the Stones again.

Anyone else I can do without (not counting Mick Taylor, that is).

I hope for the Chicago crowd that Buddy Guy is given a spot.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 24, 2013 02:11

Beast
Now THERE'S a guest I would want to see with the Stones again.

Anyone else I can do without (not counting Mick Taylor, that is).

I hope for the Chicago crowd that Buddy Guy is given a spot.

thumbs up

Date: May 24, 2013 04:29

The earliest date I know for sure is when he comes up to Milwaukee's Summerfestconfused smileyaturday July 6
10:00 PM
Harley-Davidson Roadhouse

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: May 24, 2013 06:07

Looks like Buddy is in town until June 1st when he'll be playing in Biloxi, MS & then again on 6/7 in Maryland Heights, MO. Chicago Blues Fest starts on June 6th and I heard that Buddy will be appearing on June 5th as part of the Blues Breakers Broadcast.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:11

This guy, Buddy Guy is a strange piece in my musical puzzle...what's his style?....Blues...Rock....Soul...I honestly have no clue...confused smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:20

Come On
This guy, Buddy Guy is a strange piece in my musical puzzle...what's his style?....Blues...Rock....Soul...I honestly have no clue...confused smiley

That's Dr Buddy MF Guy, right? As in [www.buddyguy.net] .
As in guitarist for Muddy Waters. I hope you guess his genre, Come On!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:27

with sssoul
Come On

I think he is the last working link. As a young man he played with Wolf and Muddy, and he can still play. When he is gone, there will be no more.

Date: May 24, 2013 09:27

with sssoul
Come On

thumbs up Now it's fully clear...he has slipped a bit from Muddys style over the years thou...

Buddy Guy isn't the first name I come to think of when talking blues, not even a name among the first 100...or 500...(now I'm slipping away)smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:30

500!!! ..... Yeah who ya got at No469 ?????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:35

Hm well I'm sorry for you in that case!
Also a bit surprised, since it's hard to follow the Stones without encountering Buddy Guy.
Besides which if you watch any blues documentaries Buddy Guy is real likely to be among the interviewees.

Just for example are you sure you've never seen his rendition of Champagne & Reefer with the Stones (2006),
or his performance at that White House Blues that the Mick was part of (2012),
or his part in that 1981 Checkerboard Lounge show that was recently released? The Next Time You See Me is the hottest part of that gig!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 09:38 by with sssoul.

Date: May 24, 2013 09:40

Rockman
500!!! ..... Yeah who ya got at No469 ?????????

NO469? Let's say 'Little Alligator Jones' ....smoking smiley

Date: May 24, 2013 09:42

with sssoul
Also a bit surprised, since it's hard to follow the Stones without encountering Buddy Guy.
Besides which if you watch any blues documentaries Buddy Guy is real likely to be among the interviewees.

Just for example are you sure you've never seen his rendition of Champagne & Reefer with the Stones (2006),
or his part in that 1981 Checkerboard Lounge show that was recently released? The Next Time You See Me is the hottest part of that gig!

Let's say I got at least 500 pure Blues-records but no Buddy Guy...that must depend on something...(of course I noticed his appearance on 'shine a light')...He's is not big in my blues-world for some strange reason...(could it be that guitar with @#$%& spot on itsmiling smiley )

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:45

Buddy Guy was an absolutely hellacious stage presence back in the day.
I saw him many times openng for the Stones. And it was made clear to me that Muddy was Buddy's main man.

Last saw him ten years ago and he was disappointing. A booze problem, I was told.
I was happy to see him at the Beacon with the Stones sounding just fine!

I never saw Howlin' Wolf but Muddy was as impressive as it gets...very much The Man on stage.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:47

He has a gimmicky downside, but I think he gets it honest. I have watched video of Wolf licking the neck.....goofy stuff, but in that context, it reaffirms his credibility(as a last link)

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:53

He's been terrific over the last few years--seeing him in Mississippi mid-July. (Thus, no objection to seeing him in Chicago at all, but would still prefer no guests!)

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 24, 2013 11:23

what I can say is that yesterday I answered to RS tweet about "who as next guess". I proposed Buddy and they add this tweet to favorites... clue ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: May 24, 2013 11:33

After watching this I can admit he's a blues-king...his earlier stuff is a bit Soul though...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 24, 2013 12:17

His early sides - including many with Junior Wells - are absolute killer Chicago blues. Even in the early days he had an eclecticism not found in his peers (Otis Rush, Magic Sam, etc) and I've a bootleg of a 60's show in which he covers "Satisfaction".

I've found him to be patchy live - I once saw a show in which I don't think he finished a single song due to much histrionics, head-shaking and shouting "Shee-it" all the time. He's a hell of a guitarist, though, and, on the right night, one of the very greats. Check out the DVD/CD of the Montreux show with Bill Wyman on bass - "Drinkin' Dynamite 'n' Smokin' TNT".

I wonder if he plays it more straight for American audiences, shows that are being officially recorded?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 24, 2013 14:55

Buddy Guy puts on a great show. Anyone who has an opportunity to see him should not pass it up!!!

EDIT: What's this about a bootleg, teleblaster? What is its title?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 14:58 by MILKYWAY.

Date: May 24, 2013 15:08

Come On
After watching this I can admit he's a blues-king...his earlier stuff is a bit Soul though...

Hmmmmm when people describe Buddy Guy saying he's not a blues purist even though he started out as one it makes me think of another certain band that is on tour right now. The Rolling Stones branched out as well. If you have dougbt if Buddy is for real just ask Keith or Clapton, they put him on a pedestal as blues god.As far as patchy shows I think he plays up to his audiences, if they are into it so is he.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 24, 2013 15:29

with sssoul

Nice !

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: May 24, 2013 15:38

To get a real feel of who or what type of musician Buddy Guy is, read his book... When I Left Home. I purchased my copy @ Legends back in January, signed personally by the man himself. He was even gracious enough to let me have his picture taken with him just after signing.

Date: May 24, 2013 15:38

mighty stork
Come On

Hmmmmm when people describe Buddy Guy saying he's not a blues purist even though he started out as one it makes me think of another certain band that is on tour right now. The Rolling Stones branched out as well. If you have dougbt if Buddy is for real just ask Keith or Clapton, they put him on a pedestal as blues god.As far as patchy shows I think he plays up to his audiences, if they are into it so is he.

Even Buddy Guys voice has grown with age...since 15 years back he sounds like a blues artist for real...(use youtube to find out the same thing)

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 24, 2013 16:02

MILKYWAY

EDIT: What's this about a bootleg, teleblaster? What is its title?

It's a bit of a strange one, MILKYWAY. I can't remember where I downloaded it from, but it's available on Amazon USA [www.amazon.com] so it may have had an official release under the title "Chicago Blues Festival 1964"

The sound quality is not great, so be warned.

Also - and this is a BIGGIE - is that there is no way this is a 1964 recording! Satisfaction wasn't released until 1965 and the audience clearly recognise the song from the opening riff. The front photo of Buddy and Junior also dates from a much later period. That said, I enjoy this recording despite muddy sound, etc.

It's worth keeping your eye on Dimeadozen for Buddy boots - I've picked up some nice early (and later) stuff there which is probably still up for grabs.

Date: May 24, 2013 16:03

Before Chess, Buddy recorded two singles in 1958 for Cobra Records
in that pleading..tortured Otis Rush blues style with both
being released on Cobra's subsidiary label ------ Artistic Records ....

Try To Quit You Baby / Sit And Cry (The Blues )
This Is The End / You Sure Can't Do

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 24, 2013 16:09

I know I've mentioned this before, saw Buddy Guy last summer and he still plays and sounds great.

Thanks Rockee, I just found this on youtube. Fantastic...but that pic of him is kinda scary.

Date: May 24, 2013 16:19

latebloomer
I know I've mentioned this before, saw Buddy Guy last summer and he still plays and sounds great.

Thanks Rockee, I just found this on youtube. Fantastic...but that pic of him is kinda scary.

Typical Soul...smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2013 16:22

I love it when you mention things ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2013 16:30

I wonder if the blues is the black man's music anymore though. They seem to have moved on. Maybe hip-hop is the black man's blues today? The blues is a museal art form now.
Mainly aimed at the white post midlife middle class. Who probably wouldn't recognize a cotton farm if they saw one.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2115
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home