Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

cleveland plain dealer: the stones ARE the GRNRBITW (new article)
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:13

Re: cleveland plain dealer: the stones ARE the GRNRBITW (new article)
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:19

"With the Stones, there's something genius about not having to listen to a record over and over again and you still don't hear it all."

Date: May 18, 2013 08:21

John Petkovic of Cleveland's The Plain Dealer "gets it".

Date: May 18, 2013 08:33

There are several associated article and series of reviews coming here [www.cleveland.com]

Thanks for posting sonomastone

[media.cleveland.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:59

Shouldn't this thread be merged into the "Where's StonesTod" thread?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2013 11:43

Thanks. A nice article; interesting quotes by interesting not so obvious people (besides Patti Smith, but I always love her take on the Stones.) Also the list of examples is done with a good taste (even though neglecting all the post-EXILE stuff.) I agree with that "Stray Cat Blues" description - it could be that none any other Keith contribution has made me so big impression as that one. Still remember the time I first heard it, and thinking "what the hell is that!". Can guitar sound any meaner?

- Doxa

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 18, 2013 17:33

stonehearted

all threads will eventually merge there. patience.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2013 19:44

GRNRBITW
stonehearted

all threads will eventually merge there. patience.

Yeah, over here at the 'O/T Where is StonesTod' thread we've been working overtime trying to create value for our readers. Stay tuned for our upcoming summer issue!

Date: May 19, 2013 01:00

Cheetah Chrome had many good stories about the Stones in his book. I wonder if that is him who provided the list of song choices.

Date: May 19, 2013 01:33

[www.cleveland.com]
This review was originally published in The Plain Dealer Oct. 15, 2002.

Rockers deliver one for the ages

All this talk about how old the Rolling Stones are is itself getting old.

Besides, many of the band's best-loved songs are no spring chickens, either.

"Brown Sugar" (you know, the one our forefathers hummed aboard the Mayflower) is surely well past its sell-by date. "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" has been only rock 'n' roll since the twilight of the Nixon administration. And by now, those infamous "Honky Tonk Women" of yesteryear must be settled down in the suburbs with little honky tonk girls and boys of their own.

Even "Start Me Up" is old enough to buy itself a beer. Cheers!

Despite their longevity, those tunes and other time-tested hot rocks, big hits and fazed cookies sounded remarkably vital last night at Gund Arena - as did the Stones themselves. It's hard to believe they're marking 40 years in show biz.

Up first was another seasoned pro, new-waver Elvis Costello. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee and his Imposters band made the most of their opening slot, delivering passionate renditions of "Alison" (punctuated with a few bars of "Suspicious Minds"), a timely "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" and "Pump It Up."

The Stones got their set rolling with the one-two punch of "Street Fighting Man" and "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll."

Lead singer Methuselah - er, Mick - Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards are pushing the big 6-0. But the so-called Glimmer Twins haven't lost their spark.

After Jagger tossed off his jacket early on, Richards promptly kicked it out of the way.

In his role as rubber-limbed ringleader of the longest-running rock 'n' roll circus, Jagger was constantly in motion as he belted out "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and other crowd-pleasers.

He strapped on a guitar for "Don't Stop," a new song from the band's latest release, the career-spanning retrospective "Forty Licks."

Richards got his chance to shine on "Before They Make Me Run" and "Slipping Away," which he embellished with an eloquent solo. He sang lead on both tunes.

"How are you doing, Cleveland?" Richards rasped. "It's nice to be back . . . anywhere."

Chain-smoking Ronnie Wood - "on the cigarette and guitar," as Jagger put it - made his six-string squawk during "If You Can't Rock Me" and traded interlocking riffs with Richards all night long.

Holding it all together was Charlie Watts. As usual, he was a study in poise and precision behind his drum kit.

The principals were accompanied by longtime sidemen Darryl Jones on bass, Chuck Leavell on keyboards and Bobby Keys on sax.

The band also had three other horn players and three backing singers in tow. The extra personnel provided a boost during a suite of tunes from the classic 1972 double album "Exile on Main Street," including "Sweet Virginia," "Loving Cup," "All Down the Line," "Rocks Off" and "Tumbling Dice."

A spunky rendition of the Otis Redding chestnut "I Can't Turn You Loose" was a treat, too.

The Stones relocated to a B-stage in the middle of the floor for several songs, including an eminently fitting cover of Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone."

Only rock 'n' roll? Maybe. But approximately 15,000 fans still liked it, liked it, yes they did.

Empires have risen and fallen. Wars have been won and lost. Bell-bottoms were in, then they were out, now they're in again.

Through it all, the Stones have endured- a testament to four decades of clean living. Or maybe not.

By the time "Midnight Rambler" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" brought the moss-free, two-hour concert to a triumphant close, it wasn't much of a stretch to imagine the Stones rolling on for at least another 40 years.

In fact, I'm hoping to take my great-grandchildren to catch the band's 80th anniversary tour. By then, the Stones probably will be headlining space stations. Think of it - Jagger at 99 in zero gravity!

"Cool, huh?" I'll say to the young ones. "But you should've seen these guys at Gund Arena in '02!"

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: May 19, 2013 01:45

Max'sKansasCity
There are several associated article and series of reviews coming here [www.cleveland.com]

Thanks for posting sonomastone

[media.cleveland.com]

So...the Blarney Stones are the GRNRBITW?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 19, 2013 02:50

Think I'm a bit lost...
GRNRBITW is a Iorran
If "the stones ARE the GRNRBITW"
it means that GRNRBITW couldn't claim to be the GRNRBITW but
I can be wrong indeed...maybe he just want to log here as GRNRBITW
and not the GRNRBITW" but why ?... that's a mystery to me confused smiley

HMN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 19, 2013 02:58

sonomastone
[www.cleveland.com]

People actually make money writing this stuff? confused smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 19, 2013 09:31

"Brown Sugar (You know, the one our forefathers hummed aboard the Mayflower)"

That would be the 1620 tour, then - pretty clever stuff considering that Gold Coast slave ships and brown sugar had barely begun to exist..

Date: May 19, 2013 09:43

Even better is

""Lead singer Methuselah - er, Mick - Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards are pushing the big 6-0. But the so-called Glimmer Twins haven't lost their spark.""

Critics and other have been playing that old man card since "Steel Wheel chairs" in 1989, and the above quote is 2002... and here in 2013 our "boys" are still out kicking ass and rocking and rolling. No doubt they are the greatest ever.

"The big 6-0"... gimme a fkg break shleter

Date: May 19, 2013 09:48

Their review of the Steel Wheels tour- [www.cleveland.com]

Rolling Stones in Cleveland review: Municipal Stadium Sept. 27, 1989

The Plain Dealer on Sept. 28, 1989.

By Michael Heaton, Plain Dealer Music Critic

Apparently you can always get what you want - if your name is Mick Jagger that is. The Rolling Stones ripped into a supercharged rendition of "Start Me Up" last night at the Stadium before a crowd of about 65,000 fans who weathered the cold temperatures to hear the greatest rock 'n'roll band in the world play a 2and1/2-hour, 27-song set.

Apart from three songs from the current "Steel Wheels" album,” Sad Sad Sad," "Mixed Emotions" and "Rock and a Hard Place," the show was a rock')' trip down memory lane strewn with hits from the band’s phenomenal 27-year career.

Jagger looked lean and mean,sporting a denim jacket with the Stones' juicy lips logo emblazoned on back. Strutting and hopping across the stage in his silver-studded black tights, the 46-year-oldsinger and front man looked less ridiculous than one might have imagined.

Guitarist Keith Richards was in fine form as well in his long black duster and crown-of-thorns bandana. He and Ron Wood played dueling Stratocasters all night. Ever-reserved drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Bill Wyman remained remarkably unremarkable throughout the evening.

After the flaming hot opening of"Start Me Up," followed by "Bitch:'the band slumped a bit with three succesive weak tunes, "Sad Sad Sad," "Undercover of the Night"and "Harlem Shuffle." Momentum easily was regained and was then jacked up with a barn-burning rendition of "Tumbling Dice." The song even included Mick donning an Indian's cap mid-song.

The stage, an imitation industrial-chic factory, was a metal monstrosity stretching 250 feet from end to end. The towers on either side rose 130 feet int the air from the Stadium floor. The band made the most of the largest stage ever to hit the road, running back and forth before the applause-crazed crowd.

There was something for Stones fans of all ages in the set. "Ruby Tuesday" and "Play With Fire" was there for the Baby Boomers, and"Miss You" for the babies of the Baby Boomers. The crowd reflected that generational gap with ages ranging from teens to the 60s.Aside from the obvious attraction of blasting hard rock. several songs were augmented with videos shown on the three screens in front and on either side of the stage.

Both "Undercover of the Night" and"Rock And A Hard Place''' were performed to pre-made videos.Other extracurriculars included two enormous inflatable ladies of the night during "Honky Tonk Women." They stood as high as the middle of the Stadium's upperdeck. and the wind off the lake hadt hem jamming eerily to the song.

The other nourish of the evening was the encore, "Jumping Jack Flash," which ended with five minutes of fireworks.The evening's sing-along favorite was "You Can't Always Get What You Want," but the stomper was "Midnight Rambler." The bluesy ode to the Boston Strangler had the Stadium shaking like it was in the throes of a major earthquake.Mick may always get' what he wants, but last night he shared his desire with the audience. They wanted "Satisfaction." They got it.

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: May 19, 2013 14:44

July 2nd 1978

The '78 review ain't bad

Date: May 20, 2013 07:50

Keef1966

July 2nd 1978

The '78 review ain't bad
thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 20, 2013 08:04

John Petkovic used to play in Cobra Verde, who joined forces with Robert Pollard and became the 1997 edition of Guided by Voices. That lineup could play, but it didn't have the feel of the 1992-96 "classic" GbV lineup.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 20, 2013 09:43

"With the Stones, there's something genius about not having to listen to a record over and over again and you still don't hear it all."

... huh?
Isn't there one "not" too many in that sentence? I can't coax it to make any sense.

Date: May 20, 2013 10:31

with sssoul

... huh?
Isn't there one "not" too many in that sentence? I can't coax it to make any sense.
grinning smiley

Thats the beauty of that quote, and it is quoted exactly as he wrote it, it is not written correctly, but you know what he means....

The more one listens to the Stones, The longer one listen to the Stones, the more one listens to the same songs... and THEN BAM!!! something new will pop out and be totally cool..... or like sometimes a Stones song which I didnt like all that much, suddenly becomes a GREAT SONG!! SPRIZE!!!

With the Stones, there's something genius about even having listened to their records over and over again, one may still not hear it all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 10:53 by Max'sKansasCity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home