Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: start me up - what's mick singing?
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 26, 2014 00:21

Aquamarine
chatoyancy
In that official video it sounds like "You got me licked." I've heard there is a girl's name hidden in the song at least twice. Linda, shortened to Lin.
His mouth looks like he's singing "Lin". And later "the gaso-leen..."

"Hidden" how? And why? Why not just sing it? confused smiley I don't see/hear this, anyway.

It's right after Mick mouths the words Paul is dead. grinning smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 26, 2014 01:03

latebloomer
Aquamarine
chatoyancy
In that official video it sounds like "You got me licked." I've heard there is a girl's name hidden in the song at least twice. Linda, shortened to Lin.

"Hidden" how? And why? Why not just sing it? confused smiley I don't see/hear this, anyway.

I thought it was Keith is dead? (We all know he couldn't possibly have survived this long, c'mon, that's obviously an imposter up there . . .)

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 26, 2014 01:50

Aquamarine
latebloomer
Aquamarine
chatoyancy

I thought it was Keith is dead? (We all know he couldn't possibly have survived this long, c'mon, that's obviously an imposter up there . . .)

But is Mick wearing a wig?!confused smiley

Date: May 26, 2014 02:57

swiss
Aquamarine
latebloomer
Aquamarine
chatoyancy

But is Mick wearing a wig?!confused smiley

He could be wearing Keith's old wig. Oh no, that's Ronnie, sorry!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 26, 2014 03:29

If you listen to it backwards, it all makes sense.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2014 03:41

open-g
If you listen to it backwards, it all makes sense.

backwards it just says 'end it now'...duh.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 26, 2014 05:06

Sounds like "You got me rip-dick I don't know my job"--then again, next to Elton John's oeuvre, the Stones are right up there for possible instances of misheard lyrics. Is it a song about a car? Is it about a woman with the car used as metaphor? Does it really matter, when the Stones listening experience is more about the riff, the beat, and the sound? With the Stones it's definitely more "the singer not the song".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-26 07:01 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 26, 2014 05:38

I have the official TATTOO YOU music-and-lyrics book put out by the Stones themselves, and their lyric page for Start Me Up is below, for what it's worth (which looks to not be much):

Book's ISBN: 0-89898-093-3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-26 05:39 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 26, 2014 07:44

stonehearted
Sounds like "You got me rip-dick I don't know my job"-.

Fantastic. smiling smiley It really sounds like that. Or it's a love letter to Reeky: "You got me, Reeky, gonna blow my top".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-26 07:45 by TimeIs.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 26, 2014 08:01

it seems to me that he sings : "you got me reeky, gotta blow my top"

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 26, 2014 08:39

In the end, to my years, just on a phonetic level, it still sounds most like "you got me reeky, got/god no blow my job"

Analysis:

- but I think he's probably saying blow my "top" instead of "job", it just lends itself to hearing itself like the latter because of his way or pronouncing it
- I can hear him saying "gonna blow my top", sorta, if that's what I intend to hear, but he's probably adding an unwanted "d" sound in "gonna, like "godna"
- unless he was actually using the word "reekin'", in the archaic sense, which is extremely unprobable, with the "in" or "ing" ending just happening to sound like "y", he was probably aiming for the word leeky (leaking), with the "l" just happening to sound like an "r".

He's gonna blow his top, and his thing is leaking. Makes enough sense. That happens to me too. smiling smiley

I just wish I could talk to the Mick that had just recorded it, not to the one months, never mind years later, who doesn't remember what he sang, and probably relies on stooges to come up with the lines on the teleprompter he sings from. Now, he'd probably answer, "God knows what I was trying to say there - your guess is as good as mine".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-26 08:41 by TimeIs.

Date: May 26, 2014 09:28

TimeIs

He's gonna blow his top, and his thing is leaking. Makes enough sense.

I can see that. grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2014 10:22

Mick obviously changed it later, but it's interesting to hear this earlier version of that line where that part sounds like (maybe), "I'll be runnin' hot, I'll be tripping, don't you trip me up." >>> [www.youtube.com] (30 seconds in).

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: May 26, 2014 19:14

The Rolling Stones Concise book I have which was published in '82 says

'I've been running hot you got me just about to blow my top'

Date: May 26, 2014 21:00

brownsugar86
The Rolling Stones Concise book I have which was published in '82 says

'I've been running hot you got me just about to blow my top'

Have you listened to the original studio version tho...? It doesn't at all sound like that.

Date: May 26, 2014 21:49

I scanned that book above and the lyrics are a disaster, not just that line. They should've given it to obsessive Bill to double check.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 27, 2014 05:31

I used to think it was "You got me reckon that I'll blow my top." which grammatically doesn't really make sense, I know.

Date: May 27, 2014 16:43

you got me chicken I don't know my dob?

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: May 27, 2014 21:49

I just can't understand what he is singing, even with my Bose speakers! Even when you listen to the live versions he changes lyrics, intentionally?

From an earlier post:
Mick does state that he intentionally sings the lyrics to his songs vaguely a la Fats Domino in Blueberry Hill, but even so here's three for starters

WALKING THE DOG: "See heaven, jump the fence' - should of course be "see the elephant jump the fence!'

STAR STAR: "I bet you're gonna get your thing before you die" - should of course be "Yeah, I'll make bets that you're gonna get John Wayne before he dies!"

STRAY CAT BLUES: "It's no hanging in my court, it's no capital crime" - should of course be, though I only realised recently" It's no hanging ma-tter - it's no capital crime"

What about that vague line in She's so cold?

Date: May 28, 2014 00:10

skl127
I just can't understand what he is singing, even with my Bose speakers! Even when you listen to the live versions he changes lyrics, intentionally?

From an earlier post:
Mick does state that he intentionally sings the lyrics to his songs vaguely a la Fats Domino in Blueberry Hill, but even so here's three for starters

WALKING THE DOG: "See heaven, jump the fence' - should of course be "see the elephant jump the fence!'

STAR STAR: "I bet you're gonna get your thing before you die" - should of course be "Yeah, I'll make bets that you're gonna get John Wayne before he dies!"

STRAY CAT BLUES: "It's no hanging in my court, it's no capital crime" - should of course be, though I only realised recently" It's no hanging ma-tter - it's no capital crime"

What about that vague line in She's so cold?

she was a bugee, a sweet sweet bugee, a sweet sweet bugee but STONE STONE COLD!

that one?

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:57

Yeah, if your engine is ticking, it is getting ready to blow it won't be long. I too have heard it and luckily replaced the bearings before she blew.

Date: May 28, 2014 00:58

"Sweet sweet beauty," innit? With the glottal stop.

skl127

Thought it was "I'll make a bet that you're gonna get John Wayne before we die"--pretty much the same, really.

Date: May 28, 2014 03:45

Re: SHE'S SO COLD (from urbandictionary.com):

BOOJIE = fancy or wannabe fancy. Derived from "bourgeoisie."

Example: Sees a girl with knee-high fur leather boots: "Dang girl, you boojie!"

Date: May 28, 2014 05:53

Title5Take1

lol -- no one used the term boojie when You're So Cold was penned.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 28, 2014 07:38

Title5Take1
I have the official TATTOO YOU music-and-lyrics book put out by the Stones themselves, and their lyric page for Start Me Up is below, for what it's worth (which looks to not be much):

Book's ISBN: 0-89898-093-3

that's exactly the lyrics I've always read on any Stones lyrics book.
but I'm sure that Mick does not sing "...just about to blow my top"
I really hear "..you got me reeky gonna (or gotta ?) blow my top"

but why is that different ? a mistake or the publisher that decided to change that line ?

Date: May 28, 2014 09:26

jpasc95

but why is that different ? a mistake or the publisher that decided to change that line ?

Play Start Me Up as you read that page; many of the lines are wrong. The transcribers probably found Keith's stash.

Date: May 28, 2014 11:38

Title5Take1
jpasc95

Play Start Me Up as you read that page; many of the lines are wrong. The transcribers probably found Keith's stash.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:10

I thought "boojie" referred to a lyric of the band Devo, who had done a cover of "Satisfaction" around that time. David Bowie was a big fan of Devo, and
Mick took notice. Keith wasn't fond of the Devo cover of "Satisfaction".

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 28, 2014 15:18

The entire song is relating to an automobile, so I'm guessing the "ticking" is correct. I never really knew what that particular lyric said. In fact, I don't think I ever gave it any thought before this thread. But I always knew the song was about a car, kind of like Zeppelin's Trampled Under Foot.

Date: May 28, 2014 18:07

swiss
Title5Take1

lol -- no one used the term boojie when You're So Cold was penned.

From dictionary.com:

boo·jie [boo-jee]

Slang. haughty; elitist; snobbish.

Origin: 1965–70, Americanism; shortening and alteration of bourgeois.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home