Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Oakland May 5 2013 Review
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:25

I loved the show. It wasn't perfect. As my girlfriend said, it's the mistakes that make a live show so thrilling.

Audience

- seats were 90% full in my opinion. audience was very into it, although older members of the audience lost energy as the show went on.

Warm up
- there was drumming, but no band walking through the audience. may have been recorded, or performed on the other side of the stage from me. I was row 4 Keith side lower level.

GOMC
- looked at sounded good. was good to see them. crowd was happy.

It's Only RNR
- they did a fine job of it. i can't remember if this is the song where keith lit his first cigarette. i remember thinking "oh, no, if he smokes while playing this is going to one of those nights..." he only did that once, and then only smoked between songs.

Live With Me
- Great to hear it done with the bass intro. LIke IORR I would give their performance say a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Paint It Black
- Great job. Mick seemed to be really feeling the lyrics, rather than doing a campy self-parody (which I hate). The guitarists played very well together.

Gimme Shelter
- Train wreck. Keith's intro was fine but not inspired, the solos were only OK. Mick and Lisa either totally blew the timing for "love, sister" or the band was so far off that they had no choice. I'd have to go back and listen to figure out what really happened.

Little Red Rooster
- Crowd totally loved Tom Waits. He sounded great. They clearly had not done much rehearsal. They had to form a rectangle of mick, tom, ron, and keith looking at each other to figure out when to play and sing. I really liked that. You felt like you were getting a genuine view of great musicians making music spontaneously. Ron's solo wasn't amazing but I chalk it up to general confusion. I think Waits blew a few of his cues and that started some of the chaos. It was beautiful chaos though.

Dead Flowers
- I thought this sounded great from start to finish, loved Keith singing backing vocals, the guitars were great. The audience didn't respond as well, I felt like they weren't as into it.

Emotional Rescue
- AT the start of this Mick came over to our side of the stage and spent some time looking into the audience. It was losing energy fast. It was incredible to see Mick respond to this, he really threw himself into pumping up the audience. I thought the song was played very well, very danceable, funky, better I thought than what I gathered from the LA videos.

All Down the Line.
- This is where for me the show took off. Absolutely incredible guitar work, Charlie was great, the whole band was firing on all cylinders. They nailed it. This is the point where I said, "Ok, this is not just going to be a good night, it's going to be a great night."

Doom And Gloom
- Sounds much better live

One More Shot
- Sounds much better live. I would cut it for another rarity, but that's just me. It was fun.

Honkey Tonk Women
- Played it great, the audience was totally into it. It felt like a giant Rolling Stones party with everyone in the house having a great time.

Before they make me run
- Best version I've ever heard. Keith was great on guitar and vocals. Ron's solo was a little weak. I didn't see anyone sit down or go for a beer during the Keith section, although I heard that happened in some sections. He held the audience well.

Happy
- Not as steller as BTMMR, but also one of the better performances I've seen of this.

Midnight Rambler
- Not much I can add to this. Such a great song live. Mick Taylor was a little weird. I've spoken about that on the MT threads.

Miss You
- Thought the guitars on this were much better than usual. And the harmonica. Bobby Keys totally blew the cue for his solo despite Mick calling him out. Really disappointed to see Bobby screw up so badly. he looked totally confused, Daryl, Keith, and Ron had to all signal him to play the f***ing sax.

Start Me Up
- Nailed it.

Tumbling Dice
- I really thought they made the warhorses sound fresher than I expected - much fresher than the show I saw in 1989. The only except was...

Brown Sugar
- I think the band is bored with Brown Sugar. It's the first warhorse I would cut. I know people are down on Miss You, but it was much more entertaining than Brown Sugar.

Sympathy
- Strong performance despite Keith's subpar solo. I also think that Keith started his first solo too soon, and Mick skipped a verse as a result. I might be wrong but I think "i shouted out who killed the kennedys" verse was skipped entirely.
- The most suprising thing to me was looking into Mick's face while he was singing and really for the first time on this song feeling like he was actually feeling the lyrics rather than just singing them. I thought Mick was incredible on this song.

The crowd at this point was much more exhausted than the band I think. It was an incredible performance, mistakes and all.

YCAGWYW
- choir was out of tune as was the french horn. loved that they used the french horn. lots of jamming on this song.

Jumping Jack Flash
- best I've heard it since bootlegs from '72. maybe i'm over excited because i was there in person, but this song sounded as dangerous as it did in '69. Both Mick and Keith were totally on for JJF.

Satisfaction.
- also incredible. The guitars especially. They did a lot of jamming on this song too, and the crowd loved it.

REally loved this show. If you are lucky enough to afford tickets and to be near one of the venues, I highly recommend it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 23:25 by sonomastone.

Re: Oakland May 5 2013 Review
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:46

Nice and clear review thanks

Posted by: darkstardew ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:47

Did mick screw up the lyrics to Dead flowers? Maybe I was distracted but I thought he forgot the "I'll be in my basement room, with a needle and a spoon..." part of the verse.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:49

I remember him doing it, but I know the song so well it might be just my imagination.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:54

Nice review, sonomastone.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 7, 2013 01:00

Hard to go wrong with "All Down The Line."

Posted by: Neighbours ()
Date: May 8, 2013 01:01

Good review

20 excellent pictures here;
[www.sfexaminer.com]#

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1324
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home