Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Doors on Norwegian TV last nigh
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 23, 2013 05:09

Just saw the Doors/ LA Woman bio on Norwegian TV last nigh.
For me, this was the second time I saw this program.
The first time, I was much more receptive.
I must say, it came across as quite pompous and highly strung,
especially Ray Manzarek was high as a kite.
1`m glad there are other bands to dive into.
Pass me another band, please! Plus, we didn`t get to know
anything of the song called L`America.
- And Jim Morrison, what a self concious prick!!!!!
- And this from me, who was a big fan of the band in my youth!

Re: OT: The Doors on Norwegian TV last nigh
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 23, 2013 07:11

Keep seeing Doors @ Hollywood Bowl on PBS in the States....Morrison looks & sounds blitzed...can't figure why it keeps getting played... I was a big Doors fan. too!

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:55

Never liked the keyboard sound woblin true the Songs
Never liked Morrisons lyrics-Too poetic-charlie manson like hippie Baudelaire shit !!
BUT I MUST ADMIT ROADHOUSE BLUES/UNIVERSAL SOLDIER/and Doors live Are great !!!

Date: March 23, 2013 17:15

LA Woman is a bit over rated, I think. I`ve never understood why Robbie Krieger said Love Her Madly was too commercial for a single. A single is supposed to be commercial. I think Been Down So Long, Crawling King Snake and Texas Radio And The Big Beat are challenging the listeners patience. Is this what Jimbo had wanted to sing all the time? - Being the "old" bluesman? That would be boring. Couldn`t avoid paying attention to Robbie Krieger`s animated "duck walk" in the "The Changeling" video. The word "dated" comes to mind, - not a cool thing to do nowadays.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:12

I would not argue the negative comments here, but the band's first album is one of the great debut albums in RnR history. My favorite live recordings are The Matrix Tapes from Spring of '67. It is that creative time between the first and second albums. The band is performing to a small club crowd that does not quite know what it is witnessing. Morrison is enormously sexy, dangerous and slightly weird. It was "that" time before it all became too much and self indulgence set it. At its best it was a cooking little outfit.

BTW: I was at the Hollywood Bowl show and it was....sloppy.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:14

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-23 23:50 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: March 23, 2013 20:04

Since we have a Doors thread going I thought I'd ask a few Doors questions for any Doors "experts" out there :

Did The Doors ever use a live bass player in concert? (I'm thinking they used a studio musician to play bass on some of the recordings. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. But I don't think they ever used a bass player live.)

Were there ever any backing vocals on a Doors song? (to my memory, every Doors song has only 1 vocal track on it, Jimbo solo)

Did any Doors song ever have a string section on it? (I know they had horns now and then but I can't recall any strings)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-23 20:06 by Duane in Houston.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 23, 2013 20:28

Duane in Houston
Since we have a Doors thread going I thought I'd ask a few Doors questions for any Doors "experts" out there :

Did The Doors ever use a live bass player in concert? (I'm thinking they used a studio musician to play bass on some of the recordings. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. But I don't think they ever used a bass player live.)

Were there ever any backing vocals on a Doors song? (to my memory, every Doors song has only 1 vocal track on it, Jimbo solo)

Did any Doors song ever have a string section on it? (I know they had horns now and then but I can't recall any strings)

All studio recordings by The Doors feature a live bass player, because the producer and engineer knew that the bottom would never be held down without one. Even on those tracks from the first album where Manzarek is playing his Vox keyboard bass there is a bass guitarist playing along with it as well, so many of those first album tracks were recorded with a double bass sound. Doug Lubahn was the bass player for 3 albums [Strange Days through Soft Parade].

Before Morrison's death, they were planning to tour LA Woman with an expanded live lineup like they used on the album, utilizing a rhythm guitarist so that Krieger could concentrate on lead playing and a live bass player to free up Manzarek so that he could concentrate on organ and piano.

The "get it together one more time" on Five To One has backing vocals, and there are other voices for effect on Horse Latitudes. If there were backing vocals it would usually be Ray Manzarek, which can be heard on Hello I Love You in this isolated track:

The single Touch Me features both horns and strings.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 23, 2013 20:29

Duane in Houston

I think just for two shows - L.A. Forum Dec. '68 and Madison Square Garden in Jan. '69. I'm pretty sure it was Harvey Brooks (who was part of the Al Kooper/Mike Bloomfield scene). They also had strings and horns for those gigs, though possibly only for "Touch Me" and "Tell All The People". Probably 80% or so of their studio works had a bass player, though - Brooks, Doug Lubahn, or Jerry Schiff.

Ray sang backup live - I can't think of any examples on records, though. Jim definitely double-tracked himself at times, though.

Just some of the Soft Parade stuff - and maybe just "Touch Me". Can't recall offhand if there are strings along with the horns on "Tell All The People".

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 23, 2013 21:08

stonehearted
Duane in Houston

All studio recordings by The Doors feature a live bass player, because the producer and engineer knew that the bottom would never be held down without one. Even on those tracks from the first album where Manzarek is playing his Vox keyboard bass there is a bass guitarist playing along with it as well, so many of those first album tracks were recorded with a double bass sound. Doug Lubahn was the bass player for 3 albums [Strange Days through Soft Parade].

Before Morrison's death, they were planning to tour LA Woman with an expanded live lineup like they used on the album, utilizing a rhythm guitarist so that Krieger could concentrate on lead playing and a live bass player to free up Manzarek so that he could concentrate on organ and piano.

The "get it together one more time" on Five To One has backing vocals, and there are other voices for effect on Horse Latitudes. If there were backing vocals it would usually be Ray Manzarek, which can be heard on Hello I Love You in this isolated track:

Amazing. I never knew, and I consider myself a big Doors fan. I knew they employed a bass player on Morrison Hotel and LA Woman but not prior. Doug isn't credited on any albums is he? Doesn't surprise me they considered a bass player for live shows. Manzarek/Krieger have a touring bassist with them nowadays as well but I don't think there is a regular rhythm guitarist.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: March 23, 2013 23:01

I think that Doug and the others bass player's are credited. They had a rhythm guitar and a bass player on post-Morrison shows...

Date: March 23, 2013 23:09

love the doors

Date: March 23, 2013 23:56

jazzbass
stonehearted
Duane in Houston

Amazing. I never knew, and I consider myself a big Doors fan. I knew they employed a bass player on Morrison Hotel and LA Woman but not prior. Doug isn't credited on any albums is he? Doesn't surprise me they considered a bass player for live shows. Manzarek/Krieger have a touring bassist with them nowadays as well but I don't think there is a regular rhythm guitarist.

Apparently, Doors producer Paul Rothchild actually offered Doug Lubahn the slot of permanent bass player for the band, which would have made The Doors an official 5-man lineup, but Lubahn turned down the offer because of his loyalty to the band he was in at the time, called Clear Light:

www.examiner.com/article/ray-jim-john-robby-and-doug

Lubahn remembers being blown away when he saw The Doors in a club before they became famous. He introduced himself to them at the gig, and they rehearsed. It only took 1 hour of rehearsal for The Doors to ask Lubahn if he wanted to play bass on their records. Here's a full interview with Lubahn from Doors Collectors' Magazine:

DCM: I know you kind of grew to resent being a session player for The Doors and especially since they had previously asked you to join The Doors.

Doug: Now, that's one of the stories in the book. One day Paul Rothchild and I were on our way to a "Strange Days" rehearsal. He asked me if I would consider joining The Doors. He was also producing my band Clear Light. So it kind of offended me. It was like, What? You're working with my band and you want me to quit my band and join this band? And so I said, "No."

I guess, you know, he had actually discussed it with The Doors. He was the one that was supposed to ask me. At the time I thought Whoa! None of the guys in the band asked me. It's Paul that's asking me. So I thought maybe I was being manipulated a little bit. Plus the fact that Clear Light was a very close band. We were family. There was no way I was going to do it.

www.doors.com/magazine/douglubahn.html

Here's Doug Lubahn's website where you can find more info on his book My Days with The Doors and Other Stories. Who knows, it might actually be the best book out there about the band:

www.douglubahn.com/

I seem to remember seeing Doug Lubahn's name on the vinyl version of the Strange Days decades ago, being credited with "occasional bass". Ray Manzarek dubbed him as "the fifth Door"--which would make him, what, the trunk? Or maybe the hood, since the bass player drives the "engine" of a band. Yeah, that's it, Doug Lubahn was the hood.

Session man Larry Knechtel played bass on the first Doors album:

archives.waiting-forthe-sun.net/Pages/Legacy/Albums/TheDoors/RecordingTheDoors.html

Rothchild brought in an uncredited bass player named Larry Knechtel because he felt Ray's piano-bass sound lacked definition.

Here's a clip from the Classic Albums series, where Doors engineer Bruce Botnick and members of The Doors discuss the recording of Break On Through.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 24, 2013 05:59

Did anyone here The Doors and Jefferson Airplane at The Roundhouse in London in 1968?

Date: March 24, 2013 15:34

LA Woman was one of the last spasms of the 60s. From then on, the music would change all over the world.

Date: March 24, 2013 20:19

noughties
LA Woman was one of the last spasms of the 60s. From then on, the music would change all over the world.

Actually, one of the first spasms of the 70s, as it was recorded mostly in the final weeks of 1970, just a more back to basics approach where they did live recording like on their first album. Just a good, blues-based album--which is why it hasn't dated, no matter how much music has changed since.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 25, 2013 05:40

First Doors album, Morrison Hotel, and LA Woman should remain top end of any killer album list. Funny this thread came up, as I put these 3 albums on the hard drive of my car this morning. The 40th Anniversary box set is recommended for those interested in the catalogue. Although the bonus tracks don't do much for me, the sound quality of this material is very good at volume.

I rate the Feb Doors concert I saw at the Chicago Auditorium soon after seeing the Stones in 1969 as one of the best concerts of my life as they were touring in support of the Morrison Hotel album. I'll never forget Morrison piling up empty tall boy Bud cans on the back speakers as the show progressed.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 26, 2013 04:40

some concert goers told me Morrison was lighting joints & passing them out to the crowd...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 6, 2013 09:06

PSA-
The Doors Live at the Hollywood Bowl '68
JUST started on Palladia for anyone in the States.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home