Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: willie nelson- lets face the music and dance due out in april
Date: March 28, 2013 07:17

american icon willie nelson will turn 80 in april and to celebrate he has a new album coming out titled LETS FACE THE MUSIC AND DANCE. at age 80 nelson is showing no signs of slowing down, this will be nelsons 15th studio album since the year 2000

Re: OT: willie nelson- lets face the music and dance due out in april
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 28, 2013 09:02

keefriffhard4life
american icon willie nelson will turn 80 in april and to celebrate he has a new album coming out titled LETS FACE THE MUSIC AND DANCE. at age 80 nelson is showing no signs of slowing down, this will be nelsons 15th studio album since the year 2000

I Love Willie's Record-Catalouge
(Record-Collector here....

Debutalbum from 1962...'And then I wrote'

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 28, 2013 13:22

keefriffhard4life

that's impressive, but it's only 14 more than our beloved band.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 28, 2013 14:18

Willie's amazing, be it the Nashville era RCA stuff, which Legacy had the good sense to remove the overdubs, and call the reissue Naked Willie. Likewise, the funky country that Jerry Wexler produced, i.e Shotgun Willie, Phases & Stages, and The Troublemaker.

He's also handled himself with aplomb on his own material, rock covers be it A Whiter Shade of Pale, Midnight Rider, or The Scientist, and also on American songbook standards. Carpel Tunnel problems have not slowed him down with his guitar playing.

Some of the albums haven't been that great. I don't go for The Great Divide album all that much, but I love Spirt, Teatro, Milkcow Blues, and his collaborations with Wynton Marsalis. By the way, I love Willie's version of The Great Divide title track on the Bridge School 2 cd set.

Date: March 28, 2013 14:29

tomcasagranda
Willie's amazing, be it the Nashville era RCA stuff, which Legacy had the good sense to remove the overdubs, and call the reissue Naked Willie. Likewise, the funky country that Jerry Wexler produced, i.e Shotgun Willie, Phases & Stages, and The Troublemaker.

He's also handled himself with aplomb on his own material, rock covers be it A Whiter Shade of Pale, Midnight Rider, or The Scientist, and also on American songbook standards. Carpel Tunnel problems have not slowed him down with his guitar playing.

Some of the albums haven't been that great. I don't go for The Great Divide album all that much, but I love Spirt, Teatro, Milkcow Blues, and his collaborations with Wynton Marsalis. By the way, I love Willie's version of The Great Divide title track on the Bridge School 2 cd set.

i love the album Spirit. i liked Heroes and Country Music alot too.

Date: March 28, 2013 15:42

keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

Spirit is a fantastic album; it's amazing how stripped down it was. Heroes is excellent, but has a little too much of Lukas Nelson on it, and Country Music is really good too.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 28, 2013 15:55

Love Willie. Some great stuff around from him.

When is he gonna release the inevitable

Willie Nelson: Phoning It In (Releasing Music at 80)

Date: March 28, 2013 22:29

tomcasagranda
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

Spirit is a fantastic album; it's amazing how stripped down it was. Heroes is excellent, but has a little too much of Lukas Nelson on it, and Country Music is really good too.

you make me want to go back and listen to milk cow blues. i recall not being very impressed with it on first listen.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 29, 2013 03:46

The Red Headed Stranger and Stardust are my two favorite Willie albums...never get tired of them

Date: March 29, 2013 13:37

keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

you make me want to go back and listen to milk cow blues. i recall not being very impressed with it on first listen.

Willie has done well with the blues, after all BB King's been covering Night Life since 1966.

Date: March 29, 2013 14:07

tomcasagranda
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

Willie has done well with the blues, after all BB King's been covering Night Life since 1966.

yeah but the nelson blues album sounded phoned in from what i remember

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: March 29, 2013 19:23

always liked Me and Paul, classic Willie. Just one love is a nice album as well.

Date: March 29, 2013 20:13

keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

yeah but the nelson blues album sounded phoned in from what i remember

yeah, that one really didn't work...but worth a shot, what the heck...

Date: March 29, 2013 21:08

Willie and Wynton Marsalis are an excellent combination, but if you want to hear Willie in great duet mode, check out what him and Jerry Lee Lewis do on Couple of More Years: pure country class.

I never thought, however, that Milkcow Blues was phoned in. Great Divide was phoned in, though, with the exception of Just Dropped In.

Date: March 29, 2013 22:28

i liked the album Great Divide and It Always Will Be. Moment of Forever was ok. the tribute to cindy walker was great. i also liked the album Remember Me.

Date: March 29, 2013 22:56

tomcasagranda
I never thought, however, that Milkcow Blues was phoned in. Great Divide was phoned in, though, with the exception of Just Dropped In.

there's no point of phoning it in when you're already dropping in....

Date: April 1, 2013 13:41

so whats everyones favorite nelson albums/songs?

Date: April 1, 2013 17:58

Shotgun Willie and Whiskey River are Austin favorites...I also really liked He Was A Friend Of Mine.

Date: April 1, 2013 18:12

Munichhilton
Shotgun Willie and Whiskey River are Austin favorites...I also really liked He Was A Friend Of Mine.

I'm confused: Shotgun Willie I know about, as it was produced by Jerry Wexler, and is a fantastic album. Whiskey River is the first track on Willie & Family Live from 1978, but He Was A Friend of Mine ? I know a traditional track that Dylan did of this, and a tribute to JFK that the Byrds did. What album is it on by Willie ?

Date: April 1, 2013 18:14

one for the road with leon is a thoroughly enjoyable record

Date: April 1, 2013 18:20

tomcasagranda
Munichhilton

I'm confused: Shotgun Willie I know about, as it was produced by Jerry Wexler, and is a fantastic album. Whiskey River is the first track on Willie & Family Live from 1978, but He Was A Friend of Mine ? I know a traditional track that Dylan did of this, and a tribute to JFK that the Byrds did. What album is it on by Willie ?

Brokeback Mountain soundtrack has it. Sad sad tune

Date: April 1, 2013 19:14

GRNRBITW

Agreed: have you heard the Best of Hank Wilson cd - Willie also crops up on a cover of He Stopped Loving Her Today ?

Date: April 1, 2013 19:19

tomcasagranda
GRNRBITW

Agreed: have you heard the Best of Hank Wilson cd - Willie also crops up on a cover of He Stopped Loving Her Today ?

haven't. but will.

Date: April 1, 2013 23:14

GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda
GRNRBITW

haven't. but will.

The Hank Wilson is a pseudonym for Leon Russell's country material.

Date: April 2, 2013 01:33

my favorite nelson albums are yesterdays wine, shotgun willie, phases and stages and red headed stranger. what a run of albums that was

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 2, 2013 01:42

Let's not forget what also makes Willie Nelson so cool. At 1:37 he mentions having switched over to a vaporizer, which he recommends for singers because it protects the lungs.

At 3:09 Willie admits having smoked pot before this interview with Larry King, when questioned:

Larry King: Did you smoke pot today?

Willie Nelson: Yeah, sure, yeah.

LK: You did. Before you came here.

WN: Yeah.

LK: SO YOU!....

WN: Do what?

LK: ....have pot in you right now!

WN: Yeah, you could arrest me....

Date: May 1, 2013 13:08

man this new album is great. willie is back by the family band which is his red hot backup band he has toured with since the 70's. its a shame that since the early 80's willie rarely uses the entire family band to back him on entire studio albums as you can just hear the chemistry these people have with eachother. i didn't even know original family band bassist bee spears passed away a few years ago and guitar player jody payne retired.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home