Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Daft Punk influenced by the Rolling Stones!?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:01

I don't know anything about the french duo's music so I went to Wikipedia and that is how the online encyclopedia defines the group early musical influences :

"Early in the group's career, the band members were strongly influenced by groups such as The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones.[8]"

I find the statement interesting because after listening to Daft Punk's music for few minutes I don't hear any Stones' music in it. Which songs or records of theirs(if any) could support the wiki's statement?
Rock and roll,
Mops

Re: Daft Punk influenced by the Rolling Stones!?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:03

sounds a bit daft doesn't it?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:25

Must be the Punk part, then.

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:30

rollmops
I don't know anything about the french duo's music so I went to Wikipedia and that is how the online encyclopedia defines the group early musical influences :

"Early in the group's career, the band members were strongly influenced by groups such as The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones.[8]"

I find the statement interesting because after listening to Daft Punk's music for few minutes I don't hear any Stones' music in it. Which songs or records of theirs(if any) could support the wiki's statement?
Rock and roll,
Mops

maybe this

Robot Rock

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 1, 2013 02:48

I think it has something to do with their pre Daft Punk band, "Darlin'", which was a more traditional rock band.

Video for music or music for video?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 1, 2013 02:59

Darlin named, of course, for a great Beach Boys tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-01 03:00 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 1, 2013 03:00

Not everyone finds Daft Punk and The Stones so disparate in taste. Kasabian guitarist Serge Pizzorno, when talking about his band's third album in 2009, admitted that it was influenced by The Rolling Stones, Daft Punk, and The Clash--all on the same album.

[www.gigwise.com]

Daft Punk's Wiki page says that they started out as part of a guitar-based rock n roll band, but that they thought that, as a rock band, "the rock n roll thing we did was pretty average". Their first band, Darlin', was named after a Beach Boys tune.

So they moved on to another form of music to distinguish themselves and made their mark that way, but I'm sure they still enjoy their early influences, the passions that steered them in the direction of becoming musicians in the first place.

Look at Pink Floyd. Named after obscure American blues artists, they started out by covering Elmore James and Willie Dixon, and their first single recorded in 1965 sounds more like a Stones B-side than anything you would associate Pink Floyd with.

Pink Floyd's Lucy Leave from 1965. It was a long road to Dark Side of the Moon.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 1, 2013 05:12

stonehearted
Not everyone finds Daft Punk and The Stones so disparate in taste. Kasabian guitarist Serge Pizzorno, when talking about his band's third album in 2009, admitted that it was influenced by The Rolling Stones, Daft Punk, and The Clash--all on the same album.

[www.gigwise.com]

Daft Punk's Wiki page says that they started out as part of a guitar-based rock n roll band, but that they thought that, as a rock band, "the rock n roll thing we did was pretty average". Their first band, Darlin', was named after a Beach Boys tune.

So they moved on to another form of music to distinguish themselves and made their mark that way, but I'm sure they still enjoy their early influences, the passions that steered them in the direction of becoming musicians in the first place.

Look at Pink Floyd. Named after obscure American blues artists, they started out by covering Elmore James and Willie Dixon, and their first single recorded in 1965 sounds more like a Stones B-side than anything you would associate Pink Floyd with.

Pink Floyd's Lucy Leave from 1965. It was a long road to Dark Side of the Moon.
Thankx stonehearted.you make a great point that young musicians are musically influenced but eventually they grow up and come up with their own interpretation of music. Listening to DP I wouldn't have guess that the rolling stones were part their musical DNA.
Rock and roll,
mops

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 05:56

The best thing Daft Punk ever did was...inspire LCD Soundsystem's song Daft Punk Is Playing at My House (which actually was probably even more inspired by Romeo Void's Never Say Never).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 1, 2013 06:13

Pink Floyd also recorded a cover of I'm A King Bee as a demo in either 1964 or 1965*...

wikipedia
The Tea Set, which later morphed into Pink Floyd, recorded "I'm a King Bee" and several other songs in December 1964

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home