Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My Brother Is In the Tongue Pit, But Has a Bad Back -- Need Advice
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 25, 2013 04:05

I need advice on behalf of my brother Paul, a fan since the 60s who saw the show where Keith got electrocuted and was also at Altamont, but he has a bad back and cannot stand for any length of time.

His boss got two $85 tickets for Oakland that specifically say Tongue Pit and when his wife could not go, invited my brother who had been put off by the high prices but was overjoyed to go.

Anyway, he asked me about the layout of the Tongue Pit and if there is anywhere, a wall or barricade for example, where he could lean up against it. I assume there is the usual barricade between the front row and the stage. What other options does he have? Are there any options for exchanging his ticket for a seat?

I assume there have been other threads on this board that have fotos and descriptions of the Tongue Pit, so if you can provide me the links, that would also help.

Thanks.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 04:08 by timbernardis.

Re: My Brother Is In the Tongue Pit, But Has a Bad Back -- Need Advice
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2013 04:24

Most people tend to move towards the front so rear of pit very free
unless Mick or Keith venture out on cat walk ...

But yeah you could easily lean on railing that circles pit area...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 05:00

He can lean on yo ass.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 25, 2013 05:04

timbernardis

His boss got two $85 tickets for Oakland that specifically say Tongue Pit

Thought that the location of the $85 tickets was not determined until one picks up their tickets. confused smiley

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 25, 2013 05:30

Paul should show up with a cane. I bet he gets put in accessibility seats. If they kick him out for being mobility impaired he gets to retire early after he sues Oracle Arena. I'm in the same boat, bad hip and $85 tickets. I'm showing up with a cane.

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: April 25, 2013 05:53

He needs to double check the tickets because no $85 tickets are assigned yet. If he has $85 tickets then he doesn't know where he'll be till he shows up at will call.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 25, 2013 07:16

Right. If he is fortunate enough to end up in the tongue pit, he can lean back against the rail - still very close to the stage (I would say the back end of the tongue pit would be around 12 rows from the main stage).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 25, 2013 07:23

StonesBlake
He needs to double check the tickets because no $85 tickets are assigned yet. If he has $85 tickets then he doesn't know where he'll be till he shows up at will call.
Thank you. I keep getting scared that people are mentioning they have "tongue pit" $85 tickets, or tickets that say "GA" on them. Mine literally say RSCOM under the section without any info about where the seats will be (as they were advertised), and I don't see why they would print any of those other $85 tickets differently. Do people actually have $85 tickets that say "tongue pit" or a "GA" number or are they just lying? I could understand having a dummy GA number, but I don't have one on mine and I don't see why some people would have them and some don't. It leads me to believe your section has possibly already been decided.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 08:13

Are some getting "random" $85 tickets, but telling their guests "front row, Dude" hoping it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 15:27 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 25, 2013 08:39

The Tongue pit is fairly big inside and if you do not stand first row and are handicapped go back to the tongue walk. We had a lady, very short, with two walking sticks besides us and she was able to lean on the rail. The photographers (two had huge lenses with cases and were permitted to stay during the whole show) even allowed her to stand on the case. Also my wife stood up. It all depends on whether your brother can hold to a rail for two or even three hours at all.

Furthermore do not count on the wording of your reservation. Many people have different Letters or seat numbers on their 85$ reservation. So you might also have a seat at the end.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 25, 2013 10:16

TravellinMan
Paul should show up with a cane. I bet he gets put in accessibility seats. If they kick him out for being mobility impaired he gets to retire early after he sues Oracle Arena. I'm in the same boat, bad hip and $85 tickets. I'm showing up with a cane.

You're being mostly sarcastic, I hope, about the way these things are dealt with in the US?

Posted by: backofmyhand ()
Date: April 25, 2013 12:15

i have good seat [480 dollar]
if possible i want to swap for tongpit?
let me know
mail me jans42@live.nl

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 12:32

He should book a wheel chair. This is not a joke. I had a severe injury to my foot two years ago, and went to the Filmore to see two Black Crowes shows. I rented a wheel chair and handicapped access. And it was phenomenal. You need to call the arena to see about getting passes, and your brother will be able to sit there. I don't know if they have access on the Pit, but they just might. Good luck!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 25, 2013 12:39

Yeah, either his boss got $1500 tix without telling him or he's not well informed because $85 tix holders will find out where they are on the day of the concert.

Anyway here are pics from the pit at the O2 on the 25th [www.iorr.org] that should give you a good idea of what it looks like in there. It's a nice place to be too but if you can't stand at all, well that's going to be a problem as there is no place to sit. There wasn't much pushing though, if at all, so maybe crutches would be feasible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 12:40 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 25, 2013 15:51

Limbostone

You're being mostly sarcastic, I hope, about the way these things are dealt with in the US?

No, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. In the US you can normally purchase tickets specified for handicapped access. And the ticket will generally allow you one companion. So you will find rows with seats and spaces for wheel chairs mixed in many venues. And these accesibility access seats are in different areas corresponding to different ticket prices. It is often possible to get into sold out concerts by buying (if you qualify) handicap access tickets.

But you must buy those special tickets. Look for a little wheel chair sign on ticketmaster's order page.

But Paul's boss has tickets with no specifications or maybe to the pit where there is no accessibility area. Whenever I have had general admission tickets security has let me in with the cane and people are generally considerate and allow you the wall or the rail. My ""get rich suing the Oakland Arena" comment is meant to say that it is highly doubtful any security staff will turn away such a person rather than accomodate them. Of course, Paul's brother could end up accomodated in a nose bleed accessibility area.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 25, 2013 17:01

I would call the venue in Oakland and speak to someone about it. As others have suggested.

It's not quite the same thing, but I had a friend who has NFL (American) football season tickets, and his seats were way up at the top of the stadium, right in the back rim. And one time, he suddenly sprained his ankle, the week before a game, he called the stadium office in a panic, on like the Tuesday or Wednesday before the Sunday game, explained to them what happened, he said "I can't get up those stairs, to my seats, it's almost impossible," and they actually put him in some different lower-down seats, just for that one game, that were much better than the seats he originally bought! As other people have alluded to lawsuits, and legal rules, there is a lot of leeway as far as what a venue is expected to do for handicapped or disabled people, they deal with this all the time. They will take care of you because they do not want any problems. You could probably consider exchanging the tickets you have for the special handicapped tickets, as others have suggested. But it may be a devil's trade where you may end up better seats, or you may end up worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 17:02 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 17:32

Not nice, but: a guy who lived in my college dorm told me that in high school he and his friends went to Disneyland, and one faked needing a wheelchair. That way they went straight to the front of every line.

Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 18:29

RollingFreak
StonesBlake
Thank you. I keep getting scared that people are mentioning they have "tongue pit" $85 tickets, or tickets that say "GA" on them. Mine literally say RSCOM under the section without any info about where the seats will be (as they were advertised), and I don't see why they would print any of those other $85 tickets differently. Do people actually have $85 tickets that say "tongue pit" or a "GA" number or are they just lying? I could understand having a dummy GA number, but I don't have one on mine and I don't see why some people would have them and some don't. It leads me to believe your section has possibly already been decided.

Some tickets say GA PIT, so that's why people think they're in the pit. I think "all" or at least a lot of the Staples 85's said that. Some say RSCOMP like you're stating. A lot of speculation.

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: April 25, 2013 18:33

RSCOM means your ticket is for Philly?

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 18:49

timbernardis
I need advice on behalf of my brother Paul, a fan since the 60s who saw the show where Keith got electrocuted and was also at Altamont, but he has a bad back and cannot stand for any length of time.

His boss got two $85 tickets for Oakland that specifically say Tongue Pit and when his wife could not go, invited my brother who had been put off by the high prices but was overjoyed to go.

Anyway, he asked me about the layout of the Tongue Pit and if there is anywhere, a wall or barricade for example, where he could lean up against it. I assume there is the usual barricade between the front row and the stage. What other options does he have? Are there any options for exchanging his ticket for a seat?

I assume there have been other threads on this board that have fotos and descriptions of the Tongue Pit, so if you can provide me the links, that would also help.

Thanks.

plexi

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 25, 2013 19:17

Title5Take1
Not nice, but: a guy who lived in my college dorm told me that in high school he and his friends went to Disneyland, and one faked needing a wheelchair. That way they went straight to the front of every line.

Actually that is how Mike Millard recorded many of his classic concert recordings of the 1970s, by using a wheelchair to hide his equipment. No one knows for sure if he used a wheelchair on Who Went To Church This Sunday, but that was one of his tricks for sure. They'd wheel him right down in front by the speakers!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 25, 2013 20:41

I was recovering from a back injury at last years O2 shows. I was in the pit both nights , in the middle of the crowd . My advice.........very strong anti inflammatory tablets and alcohol. Worked for me .until I sat down on the tube and couldn't straighten back up ! It was worth the pain afterwards. Don't miss the pit.

sc uk

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 25, 2013 20:52

Bring a cane.

Get there early.

If he is in fact in the pit and doesn't want to be there or can't get a comfortable spot (don't expect VIP'ers with early entry to give up their $1500 rail spot to accommodate him), find guest services somewhere in the area and perhaps they can put him in a wheelchair spot or find an empty seat.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:12

Good shoes, do a lot of stertches during the show and oh yeah, a good 'script for percocet...helps me with my bad back

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:13

Very helpful Dan. Guest Services re "disabilities"...it's a matter of federal and state laws. Perhaps call Staples Center in advance?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home