Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
O/T: DYLAN - 'Shot of Love' & the Religious Trilogy
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 2, 2013 14:11

A fascinating period in Dylan's career, even gievn Keith Richards' quote that at the time Dylan was "the prophet of profit"

Having heard 'Slow Train Coming' and 'Saved' many-a-year ago, I only recently got around to discovering 'Shot of Love'

Thoughts on 'Shot of Love'? Without 'Every Grain of Sand' would it's reputation be worse?

Re: O/T: DYLAN - 'Shot of Love' & the Religious Trilogy
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 2, 2013 14:19

i love shot of love...property of jesus and trouble are pers faves....and grain is up there among his best post-60s/70s songs...it was released the same day as tattoo you, btw....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-02 14:20 by GRNRBITW.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 2, 2013 14:21

The Groom´s Still Waiting At The Altar: Great hard blues!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 2, 2013 14:31

'..Grain' and 'Grooms Waiting' would be two of my favourites off the album also

I've heard of course 'Angelina' and 'Caribbean Wind', recorded during the sessions but not added to the finished album; it could have been an awful lot better

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 2, 2013 14:53

GRNRBITW
i love shot of love...property of jesus and trouble are pers faves....and grain is up there among his best post-60s/70s songs...it was released the same day as tattoo you, btw....

Property of Jesus has always been a standout to me too. Never heard anybody else praising the song before, but me. Not that it matters much, but I saw Property listed as one of Dylan's "worst 30 songs" or something, in a music magazine, maybe Mojo or Q.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 2, 2013 15:58

gotta serve somebody

got it all, doesn't it?

Precious angel

hmm.. Lord Protect My Child ...

Foot Of Pride..

man thats some powerful stuff. been on a Dylan jag recently..

going to his Aheville or Charlotte show, soon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-02 16:16 by duke richardson.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 2, 2013 16:56

'Shot of Love' & the Religious Trilogy

- It's all crap.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 2, 2013 17:13

No, it's not all crap. Saved is a tad didactic, but it was a great period for Dylan, but not his fans.

Date: April 2, 2013 17:14

seitan
'Shot of Love' & the Religious Trilogy

- It's all crap.

i would expect nothing less from satan...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 2, 2013 17:17

LOL!

Love the trilogy of Slow Train, Saved, Shot of Love... Especially live stuff from those tours. Dylan was reborn. And full of anger. Some passionate and beautiful moments.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 2, 2013 17:19

TooTough
The Groom´s Still Waiting At The Altar: Great hard blues!

That was a b-side (I think of "Heart of Mine" ) and not on Shot of Love, at least originally.

I always liked Shot of Love (the song and the album), and I agree that "Property of Jesus" is a great song. I'm really in the minority when I say I even like the much-maligned "Lenny Bruce."

That whole record has got a great sound. It's funny that this topic would come up, because just last week I decided to give Saved a spin for the first time in about 30 years, and I was surprised because when it came out it just didn't click, but now I loved it. Especially "In The Garden" and "Solid Rock." No matter who you serve....you can't deny that's just real music.

There is something about the production of Slow Train Coming, the whole arid, clean-70's studio sound that creates a distance for me and despite the passion, I just can't get close to that record.

Date: April 2, 2013 17:20

i think his creativity during that era surpasses the more celebrated recent creative era...plus, he had full command of his voice...Saved is in my top 10 dylan records....beautiful stuff with a road-seasoned band...

Date: April 2, 2013 18:08

yeah now his voice is a lot more Dylan sounding than ever before

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 2, 2013 18:22

There is something about the production of Slow Train Coming, the whole arid, clean-70's studio sound that creates a distance for me and despite the passion, I just can't get close to that record.[/quote]

the production was done that way, especially to hit the big market, dylan said in an interview

Date: April 2, 2013 18:25

production, schmoduction; good songs are good songs.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 2, 2013 18:25

funny that this is also a trilogy, i would say that infidels is the closing end to this, ...

like bowie´s berlin trilogy, low wasn´t fully recorded in berlin, he lived with heroes there and when it came to lodger he left berlin before...

or the trilogy like time out of mind, love & theft & modern times. for me the tilogy is l&T, MT & Tempest. (Together through life just happened and wasn´t really planned) ok, ok I´ll shot my mouth

Date: April 2, 2013 18:27

Some of the best ever Dylan concert performances comes from 1978 to 1981. Allthough 1981 was a lot more uneven. The Saved material was so much better live in concert

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 2, 2013 18:34

I think Slow Train Coming is one of the best things he's done, whether or not one shares the religous convictions. "I Believe In You" is classic Dylan. He could be singing about God or a woman. It doesn't matter, it's a great song. And the line in "Gotta Serve Somebody" "you may call me Bobby/you may call me Zimmy" is priceless. Mark Knopfler on guitar was an inspired choice, and the rhythm section lays down a solid groove.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 2, 2013 20:03

IrelandCalling4
'..Grain' and 'Grooms Waiting' would be two of my favourites off the album also

I've heard of course 'Angelina' and 'Caribbean Wind', recorded during the sessions but not added to the finished album; it could have been an awful lot better

All four tracks are gems. My particular faves are Grain & Property.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 2, 2013 20:47

The stunning thing was that the man were absolutley into this with singing religous songs for real...I visited one on his shows in Stockholm July -81 and it was certainly almost praying time all the way....the year after Van the man came with the same thing to the Town...I left the Concert....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 2, 2013 20:54

Great pic on that site:

Date: April 2, 2013 20:55

Come On
The stunning thing was that the man were absolutley into this with singing religous songs for real...I visited one on his shows in Stockholm July -81 and it was certainly almost praying time all the way....the year after Van the man came with the same thing to the Town...I left the Concert....

<<praying all the way>> .....Think your memory fails you; about a third of the setlist was taken from Slow Train or Saved. Rest was "Dylan hits" from Blonde on Blonde, HW61, etc
Great concert in Stockholm 1981, btw, I just recived it on CD; previously had it as a download. Starts of slow, but gets terrific after a while. Oslo and Copenhagen also got great shows that year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-02 20:57 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 2, 2013 20:58

i saw him twice in 1980 - in January it was pure gospel....by december it was mostly secular...the man moved swiftly in those daze....

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 2, 2013 20:59

The sun's not yellow it's chicken

Date: April 2, 2013 21:01

uhbuhgullayew
The sun's not yellow it's chicken

on fridays it's steak all the way....

Date: April 2, 2013 21:05

Where did you see him in 1980, SBRNRBITW ?

Date: April 2, 2013 21:06

TooTough
Great pic on that site:

thats Bobby Richards!

Date: April 2, 2013 21:09

Erik_Snow

in portland at the paramount on the first leg....and back there again plus at the salem armory for the second round...great shows, all. never seen bob as impassioned as a singer/performer....

Date: April 2, 2013 21:17

GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow

in portland at the paramount on the first leg....and back there again plus at the salem armory for the second round...great shows, all. never seen bob as impassioned as a singer/performer....

I'd imagine....only 1966 Bob had more tension. US Tour 1986 must have been a....eh, minor letdown, in comparision
I've listened a lot to the Portland concerts, especially the Dec ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-02 21:19 by Erik_Snow.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home