Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT/ Gram Parsons - GP & Grievous Angel remastered by MFSL
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 30, 2013 03:23

Last year Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab released both Gram Parsons solo albums with a stunning audiophile remastering.

They're both on hybrid SACD and they're the best ever versions I've heard on any digital format.

GP : [www.amazon.com]

Grievous Angel : [www.amazon.com]

Links to MFSL website :
[www.mofi.com]
[www.mofi.com]

Really worth the extra price IMO.

By the way some Bob Dylan's albums (including The Basement Tapes) were released last year too by MFSL the same way (ie hybrid SACD) and they're also amazing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-30 14:29 by kowalski.

Re: OT/ Gram Parsons - GP & Grievous Angel remastered by MFSL
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 30, 2013 15:59

hybrid SACD?????

Date: March 30, 2013 17:12

DoomandGloom
hybrid SACD?????

[encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com]

"A combination CD/SACD disc, which is a music CD that contains all the titles in the standard CD audio (CD-DA) format on the top layer and the higher-fidelity SACD format on the bottom layer."

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: March 30, 2013 20:54

I'll stick with my Gram vinyl albums thanks

Date: March 30, 2013 23:31

@letoitloose
That's why I mentioned "on any digital format".

This said usually MFSL issues vinyl versions of his remasters too. Maybe for this year?

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 31, 2013 14:26

kowalski
Last year Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab released both Gram Parsons solo albums with a stunning audiophile remastering.

They're both on hybrid SACD and they're the best ever versions I've heard on any digital format.

GP : [www.amazon.com]

Grievous Angel : [www.amazon.com]

Links to MFSL website :
[www.mofi.com]
[www.mofi.com]

Really worth the extra price IMO.

By the way some Bob Dylan's albums (including The Basement Tapes) were released last year too by MFSL the same way (ie hybrid SACD) and they're also amazing.

I acquired them both earlier in the year. They are my first GP purchases and I have to say I'm rather underwhelmed. I'm not quite sure what all the fuss about GP is, enjoyable but not exceptional; sounding similar to most Country rockers back in the day.

I have a generous slew MOFI CDs (check out The Feat's Sailin Shoes and Dixie Chicken) and also Audio Fidelity who focus more on Gold CDs. MOFI CDs from the 1980s and 1990s are highly collectable now and some go for in well in excess of $100.00.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 31, 2013 14:38

letitloose

I always found those to sound very treblish, which made it difficult for me to listen to and enjoy them. Maybe the new CDs will sound much better.

Date: March 31, 2013 23:14

Koen
letitloose

I always found those to sound very treblish, which made it difficult for me to listen to and enjoy them. Maybe the new CDs will sound much better.

The new CD's have a very well balanced EQ. Never had the chance to listen to an original vinyl but the MFSL remasters have that warm sound (even on the CD layer) that should please anyone who pays attention to sound quality.

Posted by: bobcat ()
Date: April 1, 2013 03:17

kowalski

I acquired them both earlier in the year. They are my first GP purchases and I have to say I'm rather underwhelmed. I'm not quite sure what all the fuss about GP is, enjoyable but not exceptional; sounding similar to most Country rockers back in the day.

I have a generous slew MOFI CDs (check out The Feat's Sailin Shoes and Dixie Chicken) and also Audio Fidelity who focus more on Gold CDs. MOFI CDs from the 1980s and 1990s are highly collectable now and some go for in well in excess of $100.00.

Cheers,
SonicD

What are the Little Feat like? Are they significantly better than the ordinary CDs?

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: April 1, 2013 05:27

Love those records.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 1, 2013 07:40

Lowell George and Little Feat are well worth listening to.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 4, 2013 19:10

kowalski
Koen
letitloose

The new CD's have a very well balanced EQ. Never had the chance to listen to an original vinyl but the MFSL remasters have that warm sound (even on the CD layer) that should please anyone who pays attention to sound quality.

First of all thanks kowalski for the heads up with these discs! I took the plunge and these arrived yesterday at my door. While my SACD player is in the shop for repairs, I popped them in my car this morning and the sound is outstanding with both of these discs. I always felt these albums were well mixed and the MFSL boys have done a great job with these timeless recordings.

Looking forward to hearing these albums through my big system at home later. Hopefully I don't need a new SACD player, but time will tell.

Date: April 4, 2013 20:24

filstan
kowalski
Koen
letitloose

First of all thanks kowalski for the heads up with these discs! I took the plunge and these arrived yesterday at my door. While my SACD player is in the shop for repairs, I popped them in my car this morning and the sound is outstanding with both of these discs. I always felt these albums were well mixed and the MFSL boys have done a great job with these timeless recordings.

Looking forward to hearing these albums through my big system at home later. Hopefully I don't need a new SACD player, but time will tell.

Glad you're enjoying these reissues. thumbs up
Both albums are great music and they really deserved that kind of audiophile treatment... Wish something similar would be done with the Stones classic albums...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home