Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Big Nose says sorry! 'Played Pete...
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 1, 2013 19:48

Hello,

I know that the original 'PT swears at kid...' thread was closed but I think it's important to give Townshend's side of things...

[www.torontosun.com]

So, to sum-up:

a) he shouldn't have acted so stupidly in the first but,

b) he has now behaved like I had hoped he would so,

c) some sort of honour restored!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Big Nose says sorry! 'Played Pete...
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 1, 2013 22:19

Glad we've sorted that one out then Simon. Have a good one yerself.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 2, 2013 00:27

Now it's your turn.

Say "sorry" for calling him "Big Nose."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 2, 2013 00:34

Rock means never having to say you're sorry.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 2, 2013 00:37

Hi LD,

Not a f*&kin' prayer of that happening, hah-hah!

Aside from PT's generosity in reaching out to these fans in the hope of making all well again, what pleases me about this story is seeing what you gotta do in order to secure a meet'n'greet...you wanna see the sign that I'll be holding up in Manchester, hah-hah!

Good for you, Peter.

...and a very happy 69th to Rog!

Any chance of a centre block floor seat for the Manchester show? Anything in the first three rows would work...

Have a good one...cheers!

Simon.

ps forgot to add this gem!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-02 11:50 by SimonN.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 2, 2013 05:23

If someone gave me free tickets, up close, on the floor, I would take this sign

"HEY PETE!!

Yeah, I have not been a Who/Petey boy fan for about 20 years.
I have gone from biggest Who fan fan, slowly to "Go fk yourself Townshend"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 2, 2013 16:50

Max'sKansasCity

"HEY PETE!!

Stupid....grow up

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 2, 2013 16:57

Why was the original thread closed?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2013 16:59

Good that he made amends...ridiculous the father is being 'cyberbullied' now.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 2, 2013 17:08

More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

Stupid....grow up

Not going to happen soon I'm afraid. He's just sorta one them rare 'treats' this board has...

Date: March 3, 2013 01:09

Munichhilton
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

Stupid....grow up

Not going to happen soon I'm afraid. He's just sorta one them rare 'treats' this board has...

LOL... coming from you, thats just funny.

Date: March 3, 2013 01:29

Munichhilton
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

Stupid....grow up

Hey there Tex, tell us some more about that piss water beer you love to drink and tell us about. Come on Tex, be precious, some more.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 3, 2013 04:53

Hi Michael and your daughter (I’m so sorry I can’t find her name), Love your email address! We’ve had our drummer troubles on this tour and your services may have come in handy had we met before.

I asked my friend Mike Tyler to find you so I could tell you that I am so sorry the story about us blew up the way it did, but also to tell you that I sympathize with you both, and your daughter’s mother, and that I am most certainly not angry. I was not angry on stage either. I was in rock star mode...... the big mouth......

Please don’t worry about me, I thought your placard was fun. I had a job to do (to announce our musicians) and I didn’t want to lengthen the show by trying to deal with you directly and in detail. I was also worried that your daughter looked a little frightened as the crowd started to follow you down the aisle. The ushers should not have let you leave your seats and walk forward.

All that said, you did nothing wrong, ......but I don’t think I did either – however, I could have handled it differently. I thought of sending someone to find you both and telling you I was not upset, but we were flying to New York straight after the show, and had no time to spare. I wish things had been different. It would have saved you from all this furor.

For your daughter’s sake, I hope you can both come and meet me at Stratford Shakespeare Festival in more agreeable and safer circumstances. This spring and summer they are putting on the Broadway version of TOMMY from 1993, with Des McAnuff directing. I am involved. You could enjoy the show and maybe even a music rehearsal before that. Maybe some of your class would like to attend as well at some point. We can meet, and be friends, and put this behind us. The Toronto Sun and Mike Tyler would both help ease this story BUT ONLY IF YOU WANTED THAT. I’d be happy just to meet privately and get your daughter back to where she started with the Who’s music.

I’m not exactly certain when the music rehearsals begin, but I will know in a few days. If you and your daughter would like to attend, and meet, I’d be happy to organize it. My first trip will probably be in early-to-mid-April.

Of course your wife would be very welcome too, and tell her that I swear I will not swear.

I also promise you that no one on my side will try to make any kind of PR collateral out of this. If you prefer, we can just leave this alone now.

It’s up to you and your wife. I am about to fly home on Friday, and my PA Nicola Joss will contact you from London about speaking on the phone if you would like that.

Please try to put this behind you now. As we say in show business, today’s newspapers are tomorrow’s fish and chip wrapping. We also sometimes say they are what we put down when we have a naughty puppy!

Apologies and condolences from my side, and very best wishes to you and your family,

Pete Townshend

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 3, 2013 04:55

Can you imagine Mick Jagger writing a letter like that to a fan he was rude to? Can you imagine Mick Jagger even noticing someone in the 15th row enough to be rude to them? I can't, and that's what I love about the Who.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 3, 2013 05:03

Thanks for posting Tatters. I too am very amazed by that letter. Pete is a human,full on contradictions and passion. And he often is very reflective and real. Now this man and his daughter have an opportunity to see another side of Pete. Amazing. I too am a big fan. This is one of the reasons why.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 3, 2013 05:26

I'd take him up on his offer but leave the kids at home..

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: March 3, 2013 05:43

tatters
Hi Michael and your daughter...
For your daughter’s sake, I hope you can both come and meet me at Stratford Shakespeare Festival in more agreeable and safer circumstances.

Stratford, ON is the hometown of Justin Bieber. Maybe they can meet the Biebs too!
smiling smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 3, 2013 06:15

tatters
Can you imagine Mick Jagger writing a letter like that to a fan he was rude to? Can you imagine Mick Jagger even noticing someone in the 15th row enough to be rude to them? I can't, and that's what I love about the Who.

I agree totally. People want rock stars to be rebellious. And when they are they are offended. This is THE WHO not Bon Jovi.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 3, 2013 06:16

TippyToe
tatters
Hi Michael and your daughter...
For your daughter’s sake, I hope you can both come and meet me at Stratford Shakespeare Festival in more agreeable and safer circumstances.

Stratford, ON is the hometown of Justin Bieber. Maybe they can meet the Biebs too!
smiling smiley
I'd say the Shakespeare Festival is more dangerous these days.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 3, 2013 08:05

More Hot Rocks
tatters

I agree totally. People want rock stars to be rebellious. And when they are they are offended. This is THE WHO not Bon Jovi.

Not very rebellious of Pete to send such a letter....it's more like what Bon Jovi
would do.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 3, 2013 08:09

it's more like Bon Jovi would do.....Bon Jovi can write!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 4, 2013 00:00

I like Pete a lot and am enjoying his biography right now...and I think his letter to the dad and his daughter is genuine and sincere, very nice of him to recognize he was a bit gruff. The press made far too much of it, as usual.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home