Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Darryl, Kirk Douglas Theater, Culver City, CA, 2/8
Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: February 6, 2013 00:48

That is all smiling smiley

Re: Darryl, Kirk Douglas Theater, Culver City, CA, 2/8
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: February 6, 2013 01:51

He's there for Backbeat?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 6, 2013 01:56

Backbeat is at the Ahmanson Theater in Downtown LA...cool show!

not sure what's going on at the Kirk Douglas Theater but I might check it out....it's only like 5 mins from me!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 6, 2013 02:02

Date: February 6, 2013 02:07

Justin
Backbeat is at the Ahmanson Theater in Downtown LA...cool show!

not sure what's going on at the Kirk Douglas Theater but I might check it out....it's only like 5 mins from me!

Oops, I should have realized that. I went on to the Kirk Douglas site and clicked on calendar and saw Backbeat listed for the 8th, without realizing it had an A symbol for Ahmanson. So, it's worth seeing? How does it compare to the movie, if you've seen it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-06 02:07 by Halup.

Date: February 6, 2013 02:15

I actually enjoyed it very much. I had not seen the movie..so it was all fresh for me. My friend who went with me is a huge Beatles nut and said that nothing could come close to the movie...but the play is a nice attempt to bring it to a live setting.

The actors do a great job and they do an impeccable job bringing the music to life, playing and singing everything live on stage. It's loud, rocking and very, very engaging...a live concert integrated into a 2 hour play. At the end of the show after the final bows, they band goes into a 4 or 5 song mini-concert of the early hits. I had issues with the tagged on mini-concert but the crowd obviously ate it up with a spoon.

Good show to catch!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 6, 2013 02:18

Justin
I actually enjoyed it very much. I had not seen the movie..so it was all fresh for me. My friend who went with me is a huge Beatles nut and said that nothing could come close to the movie...but the play is a nice attempt to bring it to a live setting.

The actors do a great job and they do an impeccable job bringing the music to life, playing and singing everything live on stage. It's loud, rocking and very, very engaging...a live concert integrated into a 2 hour play. At the end of the show after the final bows, they band goes into a 4 or 5 song mini-concert of the early hits. I had issues with the tagged on mini-concert but the crowd obviously ate it up with a spoon.

Good show to catch!

Agree, I saw it last Thursday evening.

Date: February 6, 2013 02:22

I think I'll try to catch it. I know Amoeba had the cast there yesterday for a performance and CD signing, but I couldn't go.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 6, 2013 02:40

The link I posted above says this about Daryl's show on the 8th:

Three Miles Davis alumni and funk-feel-freaks, keyboardist John Beasley, master drummer Ndugu Chancler, and groovemeister bassist Darryl Jones join forces to form 3 Brave Souls and baptize classic jazz flavorings with contagious and penetrating funk grooves with honey dew sounds of southern soul. Jumping into the box are soul songstress Sy Smith and cosmic improviser Dwight Trible.

Rolling Stones' bassist Darryl Jones is on a break from the Stones' 50th anniversary tour so he can focus on his personal project 3 Brave Souls, with Ndugu Chancler and John Beasley. And, soul-songstress Sy Smith from the Tonight Show who co-wrote 2 songs will also be performing. So the original band members, a busy bunch, playing at the CD launch.

Grammy-nominee John Beasley started his music career touring with Freddie Hubbard for 8 years and with his garage band (Vinnie Colaiuta+John Patittuci). At 28, Miles Davis took him on tour. Beasley went on to perform and record with Steely Dan (MD), Dianne Reeves, Christian McBride, Chaka Khan, Kenny Garrett, LA Philharmonic, and James Brown’s final LA concert, to list a few. Beasley brought Ndugu and Darryl together to form 3 Brave Souls, writing five songs, two with soul songstress Sy Smith.

Groovemeister of the highest order, bassist extraordinaire Darryl Jones has been omnipresence in high-profile jazz, pop, and rock gigs, including 5 years with Miles Davis, Rolling Stones since 1993, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Sting, Eric Clapton and Peter Gabriel. This personal project 3 Brave Souls feature Jones’ compositions and his husky vocals.

Date: February 6, 2013 02:41

Looks very promising!

Date: February 6, 2013 06:58

Justin, I have seen Darryl play jazz. I hope you go smiling smiley

Date: February 6, 2013 06:59

Loog Droog, thanks for filling in the details...I was too lazy smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home