Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Skydog 7 Cd Boxed Set Duane Allman
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 24, 2013 22:20

Does anyone know about this forthcoming boxed set, please ?

Re: OT - Skydog 7 Cd Boxed Set Duane Allman
Date: January 24, 2013 23:20

they won't even post the info on the allman brothers forum

Posted by: plqmule ()
Date: January 24, 2013 23:54

Amazon has the box listed for 106.66. Release date 3/12.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: January 24, 2013 23:57

Yes, but no-one seems to know what's on it.

Date: January 25, 2013 00:47

i want it but won't buy it blindly

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 25, 2013 01:11

I have four CDs of Duane Anthology material, and all the Allman Brothers stuff. What's left? And I don't really care anyway. I'm so disgusted that they've never put out a DVD of Duane performances, of which there were some classics, including the Fillmore. At this point in time you cannot buy a commercially released video performance of Duane Freakin' Allman. It's not like he was Bix Beiderbecke, and missed the sound age on film by a couple years.l

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 25, 2013 02:04

For the first 20 years or so after Duane's death The Allmans did an amazing job at keeping mediocre stuff from being commercially available. Looking at the official catalog you'd think the guy never played a bad note, ever... This was well deserved as he was second only to Jimi as far as influencing guitar players and inspiring imaginations. Over the years they've dusted off some Duane bootlegs and few performances match The Fillmore and Eat A Peach recordings while still basically the same material. I can't imagine what they've dug up to fill a 6 cd set. The BB King medley is a treat from the anthology issues. Yes some official cleaned up video would be great.... In case you've missed this here's an enormous treat. It is essential original Allman Brothers as it was, hippies and all!!!!!!

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: January 25, 2013 02:18

Dig the peace sign made out of beer cans,maaan!!!

Date: January 25, 2013 03:45

DOOMANDGLOOM - thanks for posting the video. I might have this on a really bad boot. It helps to illustrate why no Duane DVD is such a disservice to his legacy. I'll bet the average fan would say Dickie played the 'straight' lead and Duane played slide. But this video has Duane playing finger leads. I've seen so little of it that his non-slide playing would be like a new discovery.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 25, 2013 04:04

Hopefully it has more live shows..

I have this Wonderland boot SB box set which is amazing but would love the have better versions.

[www.giginjapan.com]

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 25, 2013 04:13

This from the Hittin The Web Allman Bros forum so it looks like it is legit

Hey Peachnutt!

Please wait and order it from HTN!

We are involved with this edffort and Amazon jumped the gun.
We are in the process of getting more info and will post it ASAP.

TRhanks,

JNB

Date: January 25, 2013 04:48

24FPS
DOOMANDGLOOM - thanks for posting the video. I might have this on a really bad boot. It helps to illustrate why no Duane DVD is such a disservice to his legacy. I'll bet the average fan would say Dickie played the 'straight' lead and Duane played slide. But this video has Duane playing finger leads. I've seen so little of it that his non-slide playing would be like a new discovery.
Allman was a much better straight guitar player than he was a slide guitarist and that says allot... Listen to the first solo on Liz Reed or Whipping Post at The Fillmore. He explores modes on the guitar that only Mike Bloomfield had previously ventured...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-25 04:52 by DoomandGloom.

Date: January 25, 2013 06:28

oldschool
This from the Hittin The Web Allman Bros forum so it looks like it is legit

Hey Peachnutt!

Please wait and order it from HTN!

We are involved with this edffort and Amazon jumped the gun.
We are in the process of getting more info and will post it ASAP.

TRhanks,

JNB

i wouldn't order it from HTN. they are idiots. amazon is not the only site you can preorder it from. HTN usually gets you the product later then amazon or best buy. not to mention the gregg allman "hand autographed" debacle last year where it was not a signature but an autopen

Date: January 25, 2013 08:21

guess what i found:

Date: January 25, 2013 10:56

keefriffhard4life
guess what i found:

Thanks for that.

I'm fairly odd about the Allmans, as I adore the Duane-era, but also have an intense liking for Brothers & Sisters, as I think it's a great album in its own right.

I then have Wipe The Windows, and the Archive recordings up to 1973, and the solo albums Highway Call by Dickey Betts, Laid Back by Gregg, Low Country Blues also by Gregg.

However, the Duane stuff is amazing.

Date: January 26, 2013 01:50

here is a link to the tracklisting:[www.hittinthenote.com]

Date: January 26, 2013 02:02

Date: January 26, 2013 03:03

That is truly the most magnificient, clean video I've seen yet of the original Allman Brothers. Not the greatest version of Whipping Post, but damn, Duane and Dickie Betts could weave.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 26, 2013 11:59

keefriffhard4life

Wow ! That and the Stills box !

Date: January 26, 2013 13:43

tomcasagranda
keefriffhard4life

Wow ! That and the Stills box !

i know, they are trying to bankrupt me and take up all the space in my house. plus the last few months i got several boxsets off of ebay for about $20 each. jefferson airplane- loves you, bolly joel- my lives, the clash- on broadway, jethro tull- 25 years of tull, cream- those were the days, and right now i am starting the band- the last waltz 4 cd boxset i just got

Date: January 26, 2013 19:03

It's basically the two Duane Allman Anthology sets on steroids. If they put it on I-Tunes you could probably pick out the goodies you don't already have for 20 bucks. Now, if you don't have any Allman Brothers, or Duane in your collection already, this would be excellent. Now let's go to Muscle Shoals and here and here Duane sing about being a Happily Married Man:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: January 27, 2013 22:40

there is not much Duane on video...Aside from teh Fillmore footage the Love Valley stuff is reconstructed and there is very shorts bits from Central Park and maybe one or two other partials.
here and there one can dig up some more live audio (aud and sdb) studio outtakes but of course the quality is not perfect and in many cases the shows are all jumbled with songs starting n stopping and weird repeats of song segments.
they are really hard to collect beside being on the do not trade list...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home