Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The 20 Greatest Bootlegs Of All Time.
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 21, 2013 18:54

Rolling Stones on the 3th place with Live'r Than You'll ever be.
[dkpresents.wordpress.com]

Re: OT: The 20 Greatest Bootlegs Of All Time.
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: January 21, 2013 19:04

No "White Wonder" listed? No "Smile"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-21 19:05 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 21, 2013 19:14

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 21, 2013 19:25

"Jimi Hendrix * 2/24/69 Royal Albert Hall, London"

One of Jimi's worst shows ever...

Date: January 21, 2013 19:26

"Led Zeppelin * 2/12/75 Madison Square Garden, NYC (aka Flying Circus)

Even better than the 1972 shows"
Ha ha ha...

Date: January 21, 2013 19:28

"Lou Reed * 12/26/72 Ultrasonic Studios, Hempstead NY
(aka American Poet or Despite All The Amputations or Streets Of Berlin)"

A- It's been officially released now
B- the 1973-01-27 Alice Tully Hall show with the same backing band (The Tots) is MUCH better.

Nice list indeed... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 21, 2013 19:39

I've got a recording of Bonnie Raitt solo with Johnny lee Schell from the Wilma in Missoula Montana that is quite possibly the best boot I've heard. Right before she broke with Nick of Time, just amazing playing and singing. peace

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: January 21, 2013 20:15

Only 1 of my top 5 got in; I am out of touch

1) Springsteen - Piece De Resistance
2) Dylan - Carnegie Hall c.63
3) Keith - Toronto 1993
4) Stones - Brussles Affair
5) Dead - Cornel

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 21, 2013 22:35

At the time, the Jayne Kennedy tape topped them all.

Date: January 21, 2013 22:43

Incredible 4 cd set from Vigotone with a beautiful large glossy booklet. Must have for Buddy Holly fans

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 21, 2013 23:53

Don't forget the Beatles 'Get Back" / "Let It Be" sessions-- it appeared in bootleg in 1969 and spawned at least a hundred different bootleg releases from those sessions-- in fact some of those bootlegs were miles ahead of the official release w/ Spectors heavy handed production

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 21, 2013 23:59

Led Zeppelin: Destroyer, Cleveland 1977. It's not a valid list without it!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 22, 2013 00:12

No David Bowie Santa Monica, CA 1972

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 22, 2013 09:31

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 22, 2013 10:22

From the perspective of historical significance, these are at the very top of my list:

Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair. Probably one of the best live performances ever by a rock group at the peak of their powers, and we were lucky enough to have it on tape. Would it have been nice to have Keys and Hopkins? Yes, but nothing from the 72 archives touches this amazing performance.

Beatles - Ultra Rare Trax, Vol. 1 and 2. Released on CD in 1998, these two 10-track disks (each with a day-glo photo on the front) were legendary - someone had managed to get copies of studio outtakes in pristine quality and had sifted through them to find the key tracks. Jaw-dropping first takes and unreleased numbers - these disks forced the Beatles to finally open the vaults. Still worth owning, because when they finally released these tracks in 1995 on the Anthology, the sound was seriously compromised (mixing, no-noise) and lost much of their magic.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: January 22, 2013 11:41

Any such list that doesn't include Bruce Springsteen's "Piece De Resistance" can't be taken seriously.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 22, 2013 12:40

The Who - Amsterdammed 69. I don't think I've ever heard a more aggressive, fury-driven gig in my life. It's an FM radio broadcast too. Quite incredible.

Pink Floyd - The Man and The Journey - same venue, same radio station. If you like that trippy post Syd-era pre-Dark Side era Floyd then look no further. Wild and wandering and I'm not just referring to the sound of the footsteps in the middle of one of the songs!

Bruce Springsteen - The Roxy 1978. What a show and what a brilliant SB recording. The version of Point Blank is worth the price of the boot alone.

Led Zeppelin - Fillmore West 1969. Boy, were they hot on those early US tours but none more so than at this legendary gig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-23 14:40 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 22, 2013 12:44

There are thousands of bootlegs, i think it's very difficult to make a list of the 20 best.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 22, 2013 13:17

The Hank Williams Live At The Grand Ole Opry double CD isn't a boot, as far as I know.

Date: January 22, 2013 19:46

shadooby
Led Zeppelin: Destroyer, Cleveland 1977. It's not a valid list without it!

It's one of the worst 77 gigs and it was recorded from the SB purely by accident. You'd better go with the L.A. forum shwos from this tour... (imo).

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 22, 2013 19:49

OhNoNotMeAgain
Any such list that doesn't include Bruce Springsteen's "Piece De Resistance" can't be taken seriously.

Tell me more about this one.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:09

It's Passaic Theatre, N.J. 9/19/78. I bought the vinyl when I was about 15 and have listened to it so many times I know all the dialogue by heart. It's such a great show and it turns out there is black and white video of(I believe) the complete set.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:30

That list is pathetic..........

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: January 22, 2013 22:14

Elmo Lewis
OhNoNotMeAgain

In addition to andrewm's comments: This was one of five Springsteen shows broadcast live on U.S. radio during the fabled 1978 "Darkness" tour - a landmark performance that is considered his (and the E Street Band's) best and most intense ever by many fans to this day. The original vinyl release caused quite a fuss back in the day because Bruce himself and Columbia Records joined forces to go on a veritable witch hunt for its producer, Andrea Waters a.k.a. "Vicky Vinyl" (a legendary bootlegger in the 1970s), who eventually got tracked down and had the handcuffs slapped on her by the FBI. Loads of footage from that show (as well as full-length audio of the entire gig) can be found on YouTube. The best CD release is "Passaic Night" on Crystal Cat.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: January 22, 2013 23:52

OhNoNotMeAgain
Elmo Lewis
OhNoNotMeAgain

In addition to andrewm's comments: This was one of five Springsteen shows broadcast live on U.S. radio during the fabled 1978 "Darkness" tour - a landmark performance that is considered his (and the E Street Band's) best and most intense ever by many fans to this day. The original vinyl release caused quite a fuss back in the day because Bruce himself and Columbia Records joined forces to go on a veritable witch hunt for its producer, Andrea Waters a.k.a. "Vicky Vinyl" (a legendary bootlegger in the 1970s), who eventually got tracked down and had the handcuffs slapped on her by the FBI. Loads of footage from that show (as well as full-length audio of the entire gig) can be found on YouTube. The best CD release is "Passaic Night" on Crystal Cat.

...and, as luck would have it, you can find the video here:
[worldofspringsteenbootlegs.blogspot.com]

It is the best R&R boot in my opinion.

Date: January 22, 2013 23:55

"Any such list that doesn't include Bruce Springsteen's "Piece De Resistance" can't be taken seriously"

Imho the "Atlanta'78" radio broadcast beats the PdR boot..

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 23, 2013 00:09

And then there's the Winterland Dec 78 Bruce bootleg as well. Its funny which one from that tour people prefer, but regardless, one of those soundboard shows will most likely be on any of our lists.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 23, 2013 00:14

Great footage...............but man I hate that hair style

WHO?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-23 00:15 by NICOS.

Date: January 23, 2013 00:19

Live at the 100 Club 1976

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 23, 2013 01:02

One of the best bootleg releases I have ever owned is the 10 disc Apple Records singles releases-- every "A" & "B" side of every 45 single ever released on Apple from 1968-1976 presented in chronological order
The packaging and disc info is top shelf--
Sound quality is excellent and even includes extra tracks of releases that were scheduled by Apple, but never released-
wish all bootlegs were this good and this well done

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home