Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Wilson, Jardine and Marks to tour as rival Beach Boys?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 24, 2013 02:39

Re: OT: Wilson, Jardine and Marks to tour as rival Beach Boys?
Date: January 24, 2013 02:44

Weird, huh? Imagine if there were two competing "Rolling Stones" touring bands. Mick and Ronnie in one group, and Keith, Charlie and .... Dick Taylor (?) in the other.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-24 02:45 by tatters.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 24, 2013 03:03

At least with Wilson, Jardine, and Marks together you're assured of quality musicianship and live musical arrangement as well as the possibility of interesting new original material. Mike Hate and that other guy really aren't needed. Saw Wilson's Pet Sounds tour [with Jardine along as well] and trust me it was all that was really needed to capture the essence of the Beach Boys in live performance.

The second clip below features Al Jardine on God Only Knows, but the sound is tinny and grainy, so just imagine you're hearing it through an old-fashioned transistor radio and it'll sound fine.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 24, 2013 05:55

I feel kind of bad. Mike Love ripped Brian Wilson out of his solo career, which was doing fine and playing excellent live shows with the Wondermints. Now he's worried about all this Beach Boy stuff. He was past it and really doing what he wanted on his own finally. Yes, it would be nice if Jardine and Marks toured with Brian, but they shouldn't do a rival Beach Boys thing. As mentioned, Brian Wilson playing Pet Sounds live and Smile live were absolutely brilliant and sounded like the Beach Boys even though it was just him. I feel like everyone subtly knew who the real Beach Boy still was. I feel like this is now I step backward and Brian living in the past of the 60s and 70s, which he had sort of moved past.

Just my two cents, but I say Brian would be fine if he just moved on.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 24, 2013 06:55

How did Mike come to be the sole owner of the name "Beach Boys"?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 24, 2013 06:56

I saw Brian play Pet Sounds with Al Jardine in 2006. I'd pay to see Brian, Jardine, and Marks with Brian's band. I wouldn't see the Mike Love-Bruce Johnston Beach Boys if you paid me.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: January 24, 2013 08:19

mike love is a dip shit.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 24, 2013 08:57

backstreetboy1
mike love is a dip shit.

I have only a vague notion of what went on behind the scenes with the Beach Boys, I'm sort of a casual fan. But I was doing some reading trying to see how Mike owned the name of the band and I came across some stuff about his lawsuits, and I think you're right. He sued Brian for something his father did, like 20 years after his death. He had another suit against Brian in '05 for some silly shit that was thrown out. Seems kind of douchey.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 24, 2013 09:13

NoCode0680
backstreetboy1
mike love is a dip shit.

I have only a vague notion of what went on behind the scenes with the Beach Boys, I'm sort of a casual fan. But I was doing some reading trying to see how Mike owned the name of the band and I came across some stuff about his lawsuits, and I think you're right. He sued Brian for something his father did, like 20 years after his death. He had another suit against Brian in '05 for some silly shit that was thrown out. Seems kind of douchey.
He is a douche. As he has since 1966, Mike Love has been pissed and tried to own the Beach Boys name and sue Brian because he's not Brian Wilson. He has been trying to convince people he is in any way possible and its never worked, and thats gotta be pretty sad living your whole life out of jealousy. I'm sure on a level he is nice, but in recent times anything nice is quickly outdone by a douche move.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 24, 2013 13:07

I think it would be great to see Brian Wilson and Al Jardine together on tour ( I don't really think David Marks counts one way or another ) - I think they enjoyed recording and touring last year and just feel like keeping it going for awhile--
I think with them you'll get a trip through some of the deeper and lesser-played Beach Boy tracks, while with Mike Love's version all you get will be the 'hits"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 24, 2013 13:46

i watched a dvd of one of the reunion shows from last summer and it was really good .the good vibrations were really going on big time !!!!!!!

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 24, 2013 15:03

This is very strange!?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 24, 2013 16:28

Happens a lot. The band The Guess Who tours with just the drummer and bass player from the classic line up (other than an occasional full reunion gig, like SarsFest). Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings, who lead the Guess Who tour separately as they do not own the name. Bachman and Cummings are the essence of The Guess Who and the Guess Who are more of a cover band.

Years ago, there were two competing Steppenwolf bands touring. One was John Kay and a bunch of young hired guns. The other was the rest of the original band, sans John Kay. Kay was smart when he left the band. He gave them the rights to the name, and in return they gave him all the publishing rights. He made a fortune on royalties and eventually bought the name back, while they spent teh 70s and 80s playing smaller and smaller gigs before going bankrupt.

In 2012 we had 'Yes' play a show here. And we separately had Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman play a gig together, billed as an evening of 'Yes' music. Chris Squire owns the name, so his band gets to be called Yes. Sadly, neither really captured the Yes that I once knew. (Yes, you are allowed to heckle and say that Yes sucks....but they once could play, even if a bit over-indulgent at times).

I was never a Beach Boys fan and gladly got rid of my seats to their reunion tour. Brian Wilson is/was a genius. Anything good they ever did was because of him. That became more apparent after he was out, and they were putting out pure crap.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 24, 2013 16:49

J. Geils Band tours without J. Geils

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 24, 2013 19:57

buffalo7478
Anything good they ever did was because of him. That became more apparent after he was out, and they were putting out pure crap.

"All This Is That"...the best Beach Boys song without one iota of Brian Wilson's input:

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 24, 2013 20:05

Right. While Brian was the main man, they did a lot of good stuff when he dropped out and Carl took the wheel.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 24, 2013 20:26

Brian should be as petty as Mike has always been. He should take the Smile tour back out on the road with Al and David, and devote the second half of the show to hits on which Mike has no writing credit.

I'm sure it would do well enough, and it would get rave reviews.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 24, 2013 21:37

Just a group of perverts, egos and nut cases. Bad associations and desperate drug use turned me off to them years ago... All that crap with Brian's doctor and sand boxes, dumb rich brats. Good Vibrations was known at the time to be the most expensive pop record ever recorded, still a great record but loaded with studio cats. The Monkeys are a more legitimate band...

Date: January 24, 2013 21:42

DoomandGloom
The Monkeys are a more legitimate band...

I would call you an idiot...but I think your post alone does the job nicely.

Date: January 24, 2013 21:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-24 21:51 by DoomandGloom.

Date: January 24, 2013 21:50

DoomandGloom

Justin
DoomandGloom
The Monkeys are a more legitimate band...

I would call you an idiot...but I think your post alone does the job nicely.
Why does this make me horny???

Date: January 24, 2013 21:55

GASP....thanks so much for posting! This makes me question my Beach Boy fandom now that I've seen this clip! What was I thinking all these years?

I am so grateful none of my other favorite bands stooped this low with any equally cheesy moments.

Let me know when you actually want to talk about the Beach Boys music. That is, if you know anything besides "Fun, Fun, Fun."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-24 21:56 by Justin.

Date: January 24, 2013 22:02

Justin
GASP....thanks so much for posting! This makes me question my Beach Boy fandom now that I've seen this clip! What was I thinking all these years?

I am so grateful none of other favorite bands stooped this low with any equally cheesy moments.

Let me know when you actually want to talk about the Beach Boys music. That is, if you know anything besides "Fun, Fun, Fun."
Wow.. I love Rice Crispies, I never saw that before, how did that occur???.... The Beach Boys made some great songs but no better than The Monkeys both using many of the same studio musicians including Carol Kaye. My biggest problem with them is I can't get past them as despicable people who hung out and recorded songs with Charles Manson and wasted their brains on LSD while other people played on their records. .Musical sociopaths...

Date: January 24, 2013 22:21

You have a very general and uninformed view on The Beach Boys history and music.

The only Beach Boy to have a connection to Charles Manson was drummer, Dennis Wilson. He met Charles Manson before he was the Charles Manson that he was infamously known for. Dennis thought he was an interesting man but eventually the friendship turned sour when Manson took over Dennis' home with the Manson family. This freaked Dennis out completely and after a messy split, he completely severed ties with Manson. The murders happened soon after that.

Not sure why you're so hung up on the studio musicians issue. Their very first 6 albums were just about ALL performed (save for a handful of tracks) by the Beach Boys themselves, live in the studio. When they weren't in the studio--they were on the road, playing tour after tour around the world--playing their own instruments live on stage. When Brian eventually quit touring, he stayed home and wrote music. He gathered LA's best musicians to help him record while the rest of the band were out touring. As the music became more and more complicated...it forced Brian to call on more sophisticated and respected musicians to join him in the studio to help him create the sounds he wanted.

As for the music as "great" as The Monkees? You have a lot of learning to do. Skip the Beach Boys greatest hits and do some more digging. I enjoy The Monkees. But nothing--absolutely nothing The Monkees, The Stones or the "blessed" Beatles comes even close to the majestic power of some of the tunes Brian wrote with his Beach Boys. Nothing.

Date: January 24, 2013 22:33

It's cool Justin and your love for them is obvious. I had a great friend who was crazy about the Beach Boys too. He's not around any more so I miss teasing him...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-24 22:34 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 24, 2013 22:35

loog droog
Right. While Brian was the main man, they did a lot of good stuff when he dropped out and Carl took the wheel.

Definitely...like this one.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 24, 2013 22:54

Didn't The Monkeys just copy The Beetles?

Date: January 25, 2013 02:08

DoomandGloom
Just a group of perverts, egos and nut cases.

That's what a rock and roll band is supposed to be.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 25, 2013 03:36

tatters
DoomandGloom

Post of the day, tatters. smileys with beer

Date: January 25, 2013 04:57

latebloomer
tatters
DoomandGloom

Post of the day, tatters. smileys with beer
Like Keith said about Stills, they did drugs the wrong way...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home