Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick and Keith interviewed in new Muscle Shoals doc....
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 1, 2013 01:12

For fans of the Muscle Shoals story and music, this should be a real treat.
Too often overshadowed by Motown and Stax, I've been waiting for a good doc on this chapter of music for years..
Really excited about Aretha taking part because she rarely participates in these things.

[www.al.com]

Re: Mick and Keith interviewed in new Muscle Shoals doc....
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 1, 2013 01:40

People should also check out ace records, as they do a wonderful Muscle Shoals compilation.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 1, 2013 01:40

I wonder if this will be shown outside of NY/LA ?

Date: January 1, 2013 03:16

Edith Grove

In a first-run release...doubt it. But it should be a DVD release at some point.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 2, 2013 01:04

Edith Grove

Premiere is in Utah. Buzz at Sundance will determine its distribution fate. I'll bet it will be shown at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham in August.

My mother just sent me a clipping about this, which I'll post below.

Date: January 2, 2013 01:10

(emphasis mine, funny connection)

[djournal.com]

MUSCLE SHOALS, Ala. — Rick Hall's description of how filmmaker Stephen Badger had the idea for a documentary about Muscle Shoals music sounds like something straight out of a movie.

The documentary, which focuses on the early years of Muscle Shoals music and its worldwide impact, will be featured at this year's Sundance Film Festival in January.

"Muscle Shoals" was just added to the film festival, which takes place each year in Utah. The 2012 festival attracted more than 46,000 people.

Sundance showcases new work of American and international independent filmmakers and offers competitive sections for dramatic and documentary films.

"It's been in the works for years," said FAME Recording Studios founder Rick Hall, whose career is prominently featured in the documentary.

He said the film could have a big impact on the Shoals music industry and the musicians who continue to write, perform and produce original music.

While he was skeptical at Badger's original proposal, Hall said he eventually warmed to the idea when he was convinced that Badger was sincere about the project.

"They came here and spent a long time talking to me," Hall said. "This has been three years in the making."

He said Badger appeared truly impressed with the area, its people and its story.

Badger is the son of Jacqueline Mars, granddaughter of Forrest Mars, founder of the American candy company that bears his name. They're the makers of well-known candy products such as M&Ms, Milky Way, Snickers and 3Musketeers or, as Hall puts it, "all the stuff that I like."

Hall said Badger was passing through the area in 2009, ending up at the Marriott Shoals Hotel and its Swampers Lounge.

Swampers, named after the group of studio musicians who left Hall's FAME Recording Studios and founded Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, features a variety of photographs depicting highlights of the history of Muscle Shoals music.

Larry Bowser, the hotel's general manager, recalls the visit. He said Badger, a vintage car enthusiast, was traveling with a group on the Natchez Trace Parkway when his car broke down. While staying at the Marriott and visiting the lounge, he discovered the impact of Muscle Shoals music.

"He was so amazed that he decided to stay over a couple of days and check it out," Hall said.

Badger became so intrigued, Hall said, that he decided to film a documentary on the Muscle Shoals sound and its impact on American music.

"He started talking to me about doing a documentary," Hall said.

Hall said Badger and his partner, Greg "Freddie" Camalier, shot 1,500 hours of footage of Hall in the studio, at his home, in the Freedom Hills area where he grew up and even the spot where his first wife was killed in a car crash.

Badger interviewed many of the people who were part of the early Muscle Shoals music scene, including Jimmy Johnson, David Hood, Roger Hawkins, Spooner Oldham, Donnie Fritts, "all the people who grew up in the music business here," Hall said.

The film touches on the split between Hall and the Swampers and the group's subsequent success at their own studio, recording the likes of the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Boz Scaggs, Rod Stewart, Bob Segar and many others.

Johnson said he had no idea who Badger was when he approached him about the film.

Johnson said the filmmakers delved into the story about the split between Hall and the Swampers and how the four men felt about what happened.

"We got to talk about it and tell each other how we felt about each other, which was pretty impressive," Johnson said.

Badger also interviewed heavyweights in the music business, including Rolling Stones Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, U2 frontman Bono and soul legend Aretha Franklin, reggae star Jimmy Cliff and others to get their take on the importance of Muscle Shoals in American music.

The film crew shot footage of Hall in the studio recording singer Candi Staton, something that admittedly caused Hall some concern because of the potential for distraction from the music.

Hall said microphones were attached to himself, to Staton and all of the band members.

"They needed us producing a record in the studio," Hall said. "I'm trying to cut a record and they're trying to film me."

The filmmakers also wanted a heavy hitter in the studio, so Hall said they flew in singer Alicia Keys for a quick session.

"Alicia was here one night and left the next morning," Hall said.

In all, Hall said the crew made four or five trips to the Shoals to shoot various segments for the film.

"He (Badger) would call me or Rodney from time to time and give us a progress report."

Hall said he hasn't seen the finished product, but has seen excerpts from the film.

"I'm very excited about it being done," he said.

Both he and his son, Rodney Hall, who is president of FAME Publishing, intend to attend the film's premier at Sundance.

Rick Hall said the film should help shine light on the Shoals musical heritage and increase the attention on the up-and-coming Shoals artists who are now enjoying regional and worldwide success.

"I really think it's going to be a shot in the arm with all that's going on," he said.

Johnson said he's anxious to see the film.

"He doesn't have a motive for getting wealthy off this," Johnson said. "He wants to do something for the area."

Date: January 2, 2013 01:14

Glam Descendant
Edith Grove

Premiere is in Utah. Buzz at Sundance will determine its distribution fate. I'll bet it will be shown at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham in August.

My mother just sent me a clipping about this, which I'll post below.

THanks!
I hope they do a good job on this. These guys are so humble and so unpretentious that other people have to talk about how great they are...
It's such a kick listening to Spooner Oldham describe these legendary sessions with his drawl and low-key demeanor that if you weren't paying attention, you'd think he was talking about going rabbit hunting way back when..
Cannot wait.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: January 2, 2013 01:14

Can't wait to hear what Alicia Keys has to say on the subject. Her experience there and anecdotes must be of enormous value. I hate when some douchebag producer has to include the latest fading pop star (what no Billy Corgan?) talking about a topic they can't even understand, but yet they are allowed to regurgitate something there publicist briefed them on. Truly disgusting....bet she has no idea who Roger Hawkins is....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-02 01:16 by Spodlumt.

Date: January 2, 2013 01:21

Spodlumt
Can't wait to hear Alicia Keys has to say on the subject. Her experience there and anecdotes must be of enormous value. I hate when some douchebag producer has to include the latest fading pop star (what no Billy Corgan?) talking about a topic they can't even understand, but yet they are allowed to regurgitate something there publicist briefed them on. Truly disgusting....bet she has no idea who Roger Hawkins is....

Or maybe she does. She did a great version of 'I Never Loved a Man' live that sounded like she had listened really hard to the original.
I know what you're saying, but Keys is an Aretha fan so she most likely knows what Muscle Shoals is. Its pretty easy not to know who these guys are unless you do research and read your rock and roll history....so the fact that she participated and actually went down to the studio to jam says a lot.
Would you have preferred the Black Keys, who recorded there and then bitched in their snarky way about how Muscle Shoals is boring and has no night life?
I get what you're saying - because I'm more annoyed with Bono being interviewed...
He's in all these documentaries as if he has to officially sanctify the subject.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: January 2, 2013 01:24

Point taken....thanks...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 2, 2013 01:28

I never went to Muscle Shoals but did know a number of people who worked and recorded there.

Re Spooner Oldham and his low-key ways and drawl,..brought back memories to me of some of the guys who were very different from anyone I knew in LA or NY. In a good way! It was the first place the original Skynyrd recorded but Tom Dowd got busy with bigger clients and never could do anything with the music recorded there.

Joe South always spoke highly of Muscle Shoals. Southern boys...men felt uncomfortable in LA and NY so Muscle Shoals was a kind of temple for young musicians with talent who liked being around "their own kind" and eating Southern style food.

When I think of women and Muscle Shoals, I always think of Aretha, one of the greatest artists ever. I recognize that Alicia Keys is talented but I just can't dig what she does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-02 01:30 by stonesrule.

Date: January 2, 2013 01:30

Cool Spod...

wasn't being snarky because I know exactly what you mean. I had the same reaction when I saw Bono's name attached. He's sanctified Sinatra, the Stones, the Beatles, Stax, Motown. Elvis, Spector... in their various documentaries - I have a shytload of music documentaries where he pops up and it always seems so out of place and pretentious, especially when he tries to wax poetic about said subject.

[timesdaily.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-02 01:32 by stupidguy2.

Date: January 2, 2013 01:33

stupidguy2

[timesdaily.com]

"Pressing On", excellent choice! Also Spooner played on the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-02 01:37 by Glam Descendant.

Date: January 2, 2013 01:36

There's also the connection w/Dylan namechecking Alicia Keys in song a few years back.

[www.flickr.com]

An interesting factoid: After this cover came out, the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio had a sign made to match the graphics on my cover, leaving out Cher's name of course.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: January 2, 2013 01:42

stonesrule
I never went to Muscle Shoals but did know a number of people who worked and recorded there.

Re Spooner Oldham and his low-key ways and drawl,..brought back memories to me of some of the guys who were very different from anyone I knew in LA or NY. In a good way! It was the first place the original Skynyrd recorded but Tom Dowd got busy with bigger clients and never could do anything with the music recorded there.

Joe South always spoke highly of Muscle Shoals. Southern boys...men felt uncomfortable in LA and NY so Muscle Shoals was a kind of temple for young musicians with talent who liked being around "their own kind" and eating Southern style food.

When I think of women and Muscle Shoals, I always think of Aretha, one of the greatest artists ever. I recognize that Alicia Keys is talented but I just can't dig what she does.

Always great to here you're take on these things, and you're experiences with some of the musicians and the times...
I agree about Aretha - she went down there, clicked musically with the musicians and the rest was history. I'm sure you know this one..but one of my favorite stories of Muscle Shoals is how these country boys were brought to NYC for the first time to record at Atlantic studios. The shit had hit the fan with a session musician at FAME between Aretha's husband and Rick Hall, and the recording session abruptly ended. So Aretha and Wexler brought the core band to finish in NY. Imagine these low-key guys in mid-60s Manhattan surrounded by seasoned session players....?
But it was them who made history.
Muscle Shoals is a great story...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home