Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tony Greig RIP
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: December 30, 2012 04:13

Will not mean much to most of you but our English and South African friends will know who he is. Lung Cancer at 66, stop smoking people, there are enough ways to die without looking for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 04:23 by lapaz62.

Re: Tony Greig RIP
Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: December 30, 2012 12:27

Yes RIP Tony, too young to go..

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 30, 2012 13:01

well actually anyone who knows cricket will know of Tony Greig!

RIP

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 30, 2012 13:11

He actually died of a heart attack but yes, he did have lung cancer and smoking is bad.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: December 30, 2012 14:33

Heart Attack, yes, brought on from treatment and a recent operation, most likely.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 30, 2012 14:35

He hadn't been treated/operated on yet. He was going for treatment this week (as far as I understand).

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: December 31, 2012 10:40

I always liked his anti-establishment attitude which did him no favours when his career imploded, but the stance he took over WSC improved the salaries & contracts of generations of cricketers that followed.

I loved how as a South African he could still get up the Aussies' noses; once a pom always a pom in their eyes!

He delivered the Cowdrey Lecture at Lords last summer and as such he seemed to have been accepted back into the fold. I heard an interview with him on TMS a few days later. He spoke sense and made me realise that whilst the stance that he took over WSC was rooted in money, he was indeed a visionary.

RIP Tony. Deaprted far too soon

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 31, 2012 10:43

The long fella will be missed.
He was a fresh breeze that blew lot of cobwebs out of English cricket.
I'll always remember his "shovel" shots over the slips and his awkward bowling run up...like a drunken giraffe ;^)

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: January 1, 2013 10:25

We Aussies will miss him too - he's been commentating on our screens since 1980. Won't be the same without his large hat and constant stirring of Bill Lawry and Ian Chappell. He was as much an institution in Australian cricket as anywhere else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1424
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home