Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

HD quality on the Online Stones PPV
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 27, 2012 19:07

I bought the online PPV so I could watch it as much as I wanted during a month. I have already streamed it 3 times and I enjoy it each time I see it. I have noticed that the HD quality sometimes during the streaming goes off. The image isn't sharp and clear and then it comes back to HD quality. Anybody knows why the quality changes? Thank you.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: HD quality on the Online Stones PPV
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 28, 2012 03:31

It has to do with your connection. This happens with Netflix as well, can be affected by lots of things. If you are downloading something, or your connection to your router is weak, the signal will drop so the stream is forced to lower the quality because it can't deliver the full signal to you.

I'd recommend going into your wireless settings on your computer/laptop and changing the roaming tendency to 'aggressive' and looking to see whether you have an 'optimize for bandwidth' option, rather than 'optimize for compatibility'. Lots of great options in there, including a boost mode, depending on your computer.

If you are wired, good luck. Either your cable/dsl is dropping out, or your modem is not up to spec. Try resetting your modem first, then router. Also, if you live in a major city, switching your wireless router to a channel less common (3,4,9,10) would probably help. Default is usually 1,6,7 or 11.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 28, 2012 12:05

All good points but it could also have to do with the actual encoding, it was done live and they optimized for fluidity rather than sharpness, that's the way Live HD is done since the 2006 World Cup where it was the other way around. Low light was another challenge and even without any drop (I have now downloaded the stream as per the TOS) and there is a loss of definition when the camera work picks up the background video. Still, that streaming PPV was quite an achievement and we had a lot of fun watching it on a 47"...what a difference with the Hampton PPV that I downloaded the other day and saw for the first time!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 29, 2012 05:16

What gotablouse said. On the torrent that it making the rounds, every time the screen behind them is in focus, the detail grinds to a hault and suddenly the screen fills up with digital artifacts. Closeup, or lots of black, or good depth of field, no problem. But the moment that everything on-screen is in focus, the picture takes a hit.

I shoot alot with Panasonic GH2s. They don't look like much, but when you hack them, they open up bigtime. Shooting default at 18MB/s, they look ok, but when you have a codec loaded that shoots 80MB/s you'd swear its an Arri camera!

This is one of the reasons I was weary of the Yahoo stream. Knew it would be a lower encode than the folks who got to watch live via satellite.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 29, 2012 13:23

Yes but while a bit better if you look at the SDH version made from the HDTV stream making the rounds as well, the same problem pops up when the camera catches the giant screen. Probably the codec struggling...Still these 720p streams (it seems 1080p was not used?) were great and we had a blast, even after several of us had been to Trabendo/mini-Trabendo/O2, got the full spectrum of 2012 Stones live experiences.

Need to look up that GH2 !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home