Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rare Outtake of Stones Performing "Not Fade Away" on Hollywood Palace TV Show from 1964.
Posted by: stones1962 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 03:10

I just found this on YouTube. It is the clip of the Stones doing "Not Fade Away" when Keith breaks his guitar string that Bill Wyman mentions in his autobiography Stone Alone. Notice it's the raw footage before the network overdubbed fake cheering into the song for the televised version.

Pg. 223
"We performed 'Not Fade Away', 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' and 'Tell Me', playing live. Unluckily, Keith broke his string halfway through 'Not Fade Away' and had to play the rest of our set like that.

I have seen footage of the Stones performing numerous takes of "Not Fade Away" and "I Just Want To Make Love To You" (they do about four takes of each song, including different introductions by Dean Martin) from Hollywood Palace, but I have not seen one clip of them doing "Tell Me". Even though Bill Wyman mentions this in his autobiography I always wondered if he was mistaken.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 03:23 by stones1962.

Re: Rare Outtake of Stones Performing "Not Fade Away" on Hollywood Palace TV Show from 1964.
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 16, 2012 04:50

Hey, stones1962, nice clip! Never saw that one before. You can actually hear them play, even though it's an aborted take. Surprising how "live" television wasn't actually as live back then as one would think. I like that clip better than the finished version with all the screams dubbed in. Do you have any more clips from that show, that is, any more raw footage? I'd like to see all 4 takes of each track you mentioned in your post, along with the different introductions by Dean Martin, if you could find them.

Re: Rare Outtake of Stones Performing "Not Fade Away" on Hollywood Palace TV Show from 1964.
Date: December 16, 2012 05:06

stonesnow
Hey, stones1962, nice clip! Never saw that one before. You can actually hear them play, even though it's an aborted take. Surprising how "live" television wasn't actually as live back then as one would think. I like that clip better than the finished version with all the screams dubbed in. Do you have any more clips from that show, that is, any more raw footage? I'd like to see all 4 takes of each track you mentioned in your post, along with the different introductions by Dean Martin, if you could find them.

I don't actually have the footage. This wasn't from my collection, I found this on YouTube. I saw the other takes years ago from someone who had the footage. Unfortunately I lost touch with the person. It was someone who worked in the television industry.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 05:57

Has nobody else ever figured it out? The Rolling Stones had {one for real underground figure} TOM KELOCK in their employ. Tom Keylock was the only person close too the Rolliing Stones that was either pyhsically or mentally capable of committiong murder, period! Tom Keylock murderd Brian Jones/July3/69

Date: December 16, 2012 06:22

rob51
Has nobody else ever figured it out? The Rolling Stones had {one for real underground figure} TOM KELOCK in their employ. Tom Keylock was the only person close too the Rolliing Stones that was either pyhsically or mentally capable of committiong murder, period! Tom Keylock murderd Brian Jones/July3/69

Did you mean to post this on this thread or another one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 06:33 by stones1962.

Date: December 16, 2012 15:58

Hopefully the guy who posted this on YouTube will find more gems like this.

Rob

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 16:24

There really doesn't seem to be a live "Tell Me" anywhere. I did find this Home-made? stereo mix that might be interesting, I am currently on a laptop and unable to hear it very well...but the comments are positive.

Date: December 17, 2012 07:15

Lynd8
There really doesn't seem to be a live "Tell Me" anywhere. I did find this Home-made? stereo mix that might be interesting, I am currently on a laptop and unable to hear it very well...but the comments are positive.

This one appears to date from 1978, but it's true, there don't seem to be any mid-60s live versions floating around anywhere. This one, however, seems to just be a live studio jam, rather than a live concert performance.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 17, 2012 19:59

stones1962
I just found this on YouTube. It is the clip of the Stones doing "Not Fade Away" when Keith breaks his guitar string that Bill Wyman mentions in his autobiography Stone Alone. Notice it's the raw footage before the network overdubbed fake cheering into the song for the televised version.

Pg. 223
"We performed 'Not Fade Away', 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' and 'Tell Me', playing live. Unluckily, Keith broke his string halfway through 'Not Fade Away' and had to play the rest of our set like that.

I have seen footage of the Stones performing numerous takes of "Not Fade Away" and "I Just Want To Make Love To You" (they do about four takes of each song, including different introductions by Dean Martin) from Hollywood Palace, but I have not seen one clip of them doing "Tell Me". Even though Bill Wyman mentions this in his autobiography I always wondered if he was mistaken.

Aceness!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:06

That is brilliant!

I didn't realise this was an outtake.

I was thinking wtf is Keith doing... what is that sound?

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:39

It sounds like Keith is strumming on a banjo. No wonder Dean Martin was making faces at the group after he HEARD that! Dean Martin was a consummate professional, and had no time for such amateur mistakes.

Date: December 17, 2012 20:41

Lynd8

They really used the echo affect on Mick's voice on that track. Did he ever go the echo route again like that?

Reminds me of Elvis' voice on Heartbreak Hotel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 20:42 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:46

Brilliant footage of the original Rolling Stones. Love the snickering after they realized the problem.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 17, 2012 21:05

Fabulous footage. It's almost like we're peering into a private rehearsal.

Date: December 17, 2012 21:06

mitchmitchell
It sounds like Keith is strumming on a banjo. No wonder Dean Martin was making faces at the group after he HEARD that! Dean Martin was a consummate professional, and had no time for such amateur mistakes.

A broken string is not a mistake nor amateur.

Date: December 17, 2012 21:29

Date: December 17, 2012 21:47

Interesting that they chose to play two songs which feature Brian on harmonica.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:06

Thanks for posting. Wyman could really put some backbone in those empty spaces.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:46

It amazes me how little stage presence Mick had at first. Brian appears to be the true center of the group. As for Dean Martin's comments, yeah he probably didnt care for the Stones but this was also his schtick. He said negative comments about fellow Rat Packers Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr as well.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:53

24FPS
Thanks for posting. Wyman could really put some backbone in those empty spaces.

Most people get Bill but some don't.

I think he was essential to the Stones sound.

He looked more like a "Rolling Stone" than the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 23:43 by GravityBoy.

Date: December 17, 2012 23:42

Tell Me is a big production number , I am not sure if Phil Spector had something to do with it. But it would be impossible to do live. They lip synched on the Red Skelton show.

Date: December 18, 2012 00:03

mitchmitchell
Tell Me is a big production number , I am not sure if Phil Spector had something to do with it. But it would be impossible to do live.

Neither a big production nor impossible to do live.

Date: December 18, 2012 00:03

I'm pretty sure both songs were filmed at the same time and then edited into the show separately. Of course Brian plays harmonica on the two songs, but if they also did Tell Me then where is his guitar for the song?

Date: December 18, 2012 00:12

stones1962
I'm pretty sure both songs were filmed at the same time and then edited into the show separately. Of course Brian plays harmonica on the two songs, but if they also did Tell Me then where is his guitar for the song?

Guess they probably didn't do it.

Date: December 18, 2012 00:17

The Grass Roots did a better version of Tell Me. Both the harmonies and instrumentals are superior. Unusual for the Stones to be topped by a cover version.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-18 00:34 by mitchmitchell.

Date: December 18, 2012 00:30

I'll take the Stones version.

Date: December 18, 2012 00:55

They have come for your children....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 18, 2012 01:30

Rob51. your "stuff" re Brian is OFFENSIVE to many of us.
Get a grip or see a shrink or save up and go speak to the Police in the UK.
THIS is not the place to air your illusions and fantasies.

Date: December 18, 2012 04:15

rob51

If what you say is true, you must contact the authorities immediately with your evidence. What was his motive?

Date: December 18, 2012 04:16

stonesnow
They have come for your children....

Quick, where are my earplugs?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2254
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home