Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who saw all five shows? compare and contrast...
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: December 22, 2012 16:25

Since this tour was only in two cities over five nights, it was probably the only tour a fan could see every show live, if you had a few extra dollars in you expendable cash fund. [I bet you could have followed an entire tour in the 60s and still spent less!!]

Other than BV (and please weigh in for us!!), can anyone compare the shows and rank them for us??

I saw the first Newark show (and the PPV of course), and from what I saw on TV, and read hear, it seemed like I may have been at the best of the bunch.

We had only one special guest (and John Mayer fit in perfectly on Respectable), two well done songs not done at any other shows (Respectable and Around & Around) and Mick Taylor did a great job Rambler.

The London shows might rank ahead of the US shows solely based on Bill being there, but I'd love to from those who can tell us first hand.

Anyone...

Re: Who saw all five shows? compare and contrast...
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 22, 2012 16:44

I saw all five.

Taking into account that my own enjoyment of a show is not solely based on how spectactularly they played this or that or messed up something else, it is to a great extent shaped by the whole build up to it, who I go with, who I'm sharing the experience with, the pre/post show silliness we indulge in, the location I/we occupy in the venue .... a whole load of factors are involved. Then of course there are individual song highlights or moment highlights within each show. All in all, I just prefer to list some key highlights of each show, these would be mine in no particular order of priority .....

London 1 - the sheer buzz of seeing them for the first time in over 5 years
London 2 - Eric clapton, and Mick Taylor's Rambler
Brooklyn - being in the pit on the rail. Just awesome, everyone should experience that at least once
Newark 1 - John Mayer on Respectable
Newark 2 - Dead Flowers - what a treat

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 22, 2012 17:02

Thanks for the summary, looks like I caught the most exciting one in the best spot then ;-)

Quick question on the sound, the PPV had a very unusual mix for the Stones (at least since 1982) in that you could actually hear the bass, was it the case inside the arena too or would you say it was the same as at the O2 where the bass only stood out during the Miss You solo ?

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 22, 2012 17:29

The only people who were able to attend all 5 shows are on stage.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 22, 2012 19:34

... or they speak Russian or Chinese! I cannot imagine any English-speaking person being able to afford to attend all five shows... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: December 22, 2012 21:30

I saw all seven shows and this is how I would rank them. Please note this is based on my personal enjoyment of the show based on more than just the performance / set list etc... but the overall concert experience.

1st = London 2 / New Jersey 2 / Mogador
4th = London 1 / New Jersey 1 / Trabendo
7th Brooklyn

They all had their highlights for me. Trabendo was super exciting because it was the first show and I couldn't have had a better vantage point (see below) but nothing could have prepared me for what an awesome job they did in the arenas. I just never expected such a long high energy set. Previously I would have traded at least 10 stadium shows or 5 arenas for a club show but not this time! A massively enjoyable set of shows. Great job guys...

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 22, 2012 22:06

It is enough to see Stones once a year. More is boring. They are not like Dylan that make every song different every time. I think it is better to see lots of bands. The Stones have never been a band able to jam.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: December 22, 2012 22:48

thanks for sharing your 5times experience mattleuk and paulywaul. I do agree that the pit is a wonderful thing which we had on London 2. London 1 we just were outside little left.
At the end a it is nice that some people had the luck and made the effort to see all the shows despite so many discussions.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 22, 2012 22:59

talkcheap
It is enough to see Stones once a year. More is boring. They are not like Dylan that make every song different every time. I think it is better to see lots of bands. The Stones have never been a band able to jam.

it's true - they just don't have that much jam...or something.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 23, 2012 00:09

I would have loved to go to even one show so I could comment/criticise/condemn/ praise.
I love the band, been a fan since 68!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 00:12 by midimannz.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 23, 2012 01:16

Alternative Thread Title: Any Millionaires on this site? winking smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 23, 2012 03:21

talkcheap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 12:24 by Tonstone.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 23, 2012 03:22

ROLLINGSTONE

thumbs up

Date: December 23, 2012 09:39

ROLLINGSTONE

That's a ridiculous and unnecessarily offensive comment to make. I've just worked out that my total expenditure on this "five show extravaganza" on either side of the Atlantic Ocean was about USD$5,500 - which covered the following:

Tickets for 5 shows, flight London-Newark round trip, 2 nights in a midtown hotel in Manhattan (out of a total of 8 nights spent in the States - the rest with friends or relatives) - hardly millionaire behaviour I'd have thought ! Not cheap admittedly, but not exactly in the realms of "millionnaire antics" !

If they do further shows in 2013, I'll catch one or two here or there, depending on how they fit in around work, but I really really wanted to see all five of these 2012 shows, JUST IN CASE ....................

JUST IN CASE of what - you might ask ? Well, JUST IN CASE they really would have been the proverbial "last time" .... cos' ya never know !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 09:40 by paulywaul.

Date: December 23, 2012 13:43

ROLLINGSTONE
Alternative Thread Title: Any Millionaires on this site?

Thank you for the compliment ROLLINGSTONE. Just after the end of the last tour I quit my job and started my own business with just £1,000 (or two tickets in today's money).

My business partner and I have created 33 jobs in the worst recession since the great depression and paid £m's in tax (we do nothing to minimise it). Just a few weeks ago we were ranked the 18th fastest growing privately owned company in the UK, something of which we are very proud. Sunday Times 2012 Fast Track 100

I have treated myself to few toys see Add photos of your rarities because holidays haven't been much of an option. The 5 days in Paris and 9 in New York were among the first days I have taken off (and even then I was working a lot of the time). I enjoyed these shows immensely.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 23, 2012 17:02

StonesTod
talkcheap

it's true - they just don't have that much jam...or something.

Ouch!

Date: December 23, 2012 17:06

paulywaul
ROLLINGSTONE

That's a ridiculous and unnecessarily offensive comment to make. I've just worked out that my total expenditure on this "five show extravaganza" on either side of the Atlantic Ocean was about USD$5,500 - which covered the following:

Tickets for 5 shows, flight London-Newark round trip, 2 nights in a midtown hotel in Manhattan (out of a total of 8 nights spent in the States - the rest with friends or relatives) - hardly millionaire behaviour I'd have thought ! Not cheap admittedly, but not exactly in the realms of "millionnaire antics" !

If they do further shows in 2013, I'll catch one or two here or there, depending on how they fit in around work, but I really really wanted to see all five of these 2012 shows, JUST IN CASE ....................

JUST IN CASE of what - you might ask ? Well, JUST IN CASE they really would have been the proverbial "last time" .... cos' ya never know !!

being called a millionaire is now an offensive thing? dammit. i'll have to aim my sights to alternative endeavors and goals. sigh.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 23, 2012 22:17

StonesTod
paulywaul
ROLLINGSTONE

being called a millionaire is now an offensive thing? dammit. i'll have to aim my sights to alternative endeavors and goals. sigh.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 23, 2012 22:23

Nope your not allowed to because someone else couldn't afford it. Hey are you taking resumes.

Date: December 23, 2012 22:56

Yeah yeah ..... whatever ! yawning smiley yawning smiley yawning smiley zzzzz

So, back to the original question then. Were BV, Matt Lee, & myself the only "millionaires" to see all five shows, or are there any others lurking on the board ?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 23, 2012 23:22

I do not begrudge those who went "all in" on those 5 (7) shows. On the contrary, I hope they had a great time. They deserved it.
Personally I was fully content with the free PPV from Newark on my public service channel (SVT1) the other day. That was enough for me.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 23, 2012 23:27

I don't begrudge them either, I just don't find flying around and paying thousands of dollars worth it for The Stones anymore. I might get around to torrenting the PPV. Not in a rush though.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 23, 2012 23:45

3 of 5 for me. I'd rank them

1. London 2
2. Newark 1
3. Brooklyn

This is a combination of how fun it was for me, the quality of the guests, and how well the band played IMO.

Date: December 23, 2012 23:46

stargroover
Do we really need some c&&t bragging about how much money his company made?What a sad twat.

I assume you are referring to me although I didn't actually refer to to how much money my company had made (if you read my post).

Sadly it is people like you that drive good people away from great communities like this. Paulywaul took offence at ROLLINGSTONE's comments and I was simply offering a different view. I certainly didn't mean to cause offence. I was merely trying to emphasise how enjoyable and "worth it" the concerts were to me.

For the record I think the ticket pricing was over the top, not necessarily for the best seats but there were too many bad seats at the top price and too little effort was made to make sure tickets got into the hands of fans directly.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 23, 2012 23:52

talkcheap

A reporter who came to my home to make a story about my obsession with the Stones asked, if it was not enough to see them once, the rest would just be a repetition of that show..I said, "Did you only have sex once, and then you were satisfied, and would never have it again?" She got my point...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 24, 2012 00:16

I agree, no one should be made to feel that they should not share their story here. Matt often posts interesting things about the Stones, his collection, and was responding to someone who posted that only millionaires could have gone to all the shows, which is ridiculous. Many people worked very hard, made sacrifices, and decided that spending their hard earned money was worth it. Great! A very interesting question was asked about the shows, and I for one want folks to be able to post their stories without being judged and harshly insulted. You don't know Matt, have never met him, and would not know he is a very kind and generous man with a lot of class. Hold your judgements to yourself. Restraining from insulting is always much better for the soul and karma.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 24, 2012 00:20

And this is the reason people are told to not talk about money, which I find stupid.... except that some people are so green with envy that they can not stand hearing that some others have more, which (I think) is stupider.

I like to hear when/how people did well... it inspires me.
If someone does better than me then that is the way things are are, good for them.... And hopefully I can hear something... maybe cause spark of some kind and propel me to even greater things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-24 00:22 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 24, 2012 00:27

Like many others I have enjoyed the show posts of Paulwaul, MattLee, JazzBass and others who gave us lively reports. These are people who WORK..It's not like they jet around like private planes whenever they feel in the mood.

I don't believe in jealousy. Complete waste of time.

Stargrover, Do yourself a favor and rethink your attitude. Being positive is what helps one to make life better and happier. I know this from hard experience.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 24, 2012 00:33

Don't make assumptions about my financial status.I don't feel the need to brag about such matters.Modesty is a wonderful trait.
As we know there are plenty of posters here who wanted to attend a single show,but because of the ridiculous prices never did.Out of respect for those fans I think it is bad form to boast about finances.
I think we might all agree upon the fact that the true fans have been penalised and betrayed by outrageous ticket prices.

Date: December 24, 2012 00:36

stonesrule
These are people who WORK..It's not like they jet around like private planes whenever they feel in the mood.

was this intended as a direct slap in the face to bv??? man...that's cold.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home