Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger's Singing
Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:00

He still sings fantastic and he sang some really great notes that I have never heard him sing before. He always improves! He never quits growing as a person and is smart enough to sing differently every time. Just brilliant like all the best: Dylan, Hendrix, Doors, and all the other greats from the 60's. Glad he's still going. He's one of the most amazing human beings of all time. Musically gifted with business sense.

Re: Mick Jagger's Singing
Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:14

I don't know about being one of the most amazing human beings ever but he is the greates frantman of a rock band ever hands down. I am a Keith fan and Keith is back playing great but Mick Jagger is the highlight of the show he was on fire

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:18

With all the justifiable fuss about the guitarists being back on some kind of form, its easy to take Mick's performance levels for granted because he's generally so reliable. I've done that myself. Make no mistake about it, he's on great form at the minute.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:20

I agree, makes all the 'out of breath at the white house gig' comments . Is he struggling to keep up, not so Mick! Great

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:19

Mick was wonderful tonight! Loved it. smoking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:29

Jagger's singing on the Pay Per View was absolutely astonishing. Such power, subtly, and more attention to holding notes with nuances. He didn't spend too much time dancing while singing verses and that enabled him to be totally focused on his breathing for the singing. He was the strongest one out there at the PPV. Loved it, and he even breathed new air into War Horses making you appreciate them all over again. A highlight was his singing on Wild Horses. stunningly beautiful and heartfelt.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:33

whitem8
Jagger's singing on the Pay Per View was absolutely astonishing. Such power, subtly, and more attention to holding notes with nuances. He didn't spend too much time dancing while singing verses and that enabled him to be totally focused on his breathing for the singing. He was the strongest one out there at the PPV. Loved it, and he even breathed new air into War Horses making you appreciate them all over again. A highlight was his singing on Wild Horses. stunningly beautiful and heartfelt.

Yes, even in Start me Up. For once, live, he sang in the middle "take ya places ya never...ever seee-yee-aann" melodically, holding the note on that part just like on the original recording.

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 08:48

I was (once again) in complete awe of this band tonight. Brilliant does not do them justice!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:19

Buddha66
I was (once again) in complete awe of this band tonight. Brilliant does not do them justice!
Well said, buddhah66! What a great show!

Of course being the pesky fan I am, I wish they did more of Exile and deeper cuts form SF and LIB. I just can't get enough of those Rolling Stones, those whipper-snappers!smoking smiley

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 16, 2012 17:41

Yes, they played War Horses, but they PLAYED them. So often, in recent years they got through them. The guitars played from start to finish, Mick sang words like he genuinely meant them. On PIB, for example, he seemed to feel the emotion of the song. Even on Satisfaction, there seemed to be emotion behind the words.

I was like many of us, expecting (dreading) a fairly lame showing, but I was astonished at how much I enjoyed it from start to finish.

T@3

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2012 17:48

Excellent, powerful, what everyone has said.

The tune that surprised me was Doom and Gloom. Thought that was a bit weak vocally. One More Shot on the other hand was great.

Great show last night...feel glad they made it available PPV.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 16, 2012 17:56

Mick singing better than probably since steel wheels

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:01

Mick is a rock and roll god!! No more slagging from me he is amazing!!! I still like Keith better but Mick is a phenomena and a physical freak. He may take care of himself now but he did abuse himself back in the day maybe all the sex kept him in good health!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:03

TeaAtThree
Yes, they played War Horses, but they PLAYED them. So often, in recent years they got through them. The guitars played from start to finish, Mick sang words like he genuinely meant them. On PIB, for example, he seemed to feel the emotion of the song. Even on Satisfaction, there seemed to be emotion behind the words.

I was like many of us, expecting (dreading) a fairly lame showing, but I was astonished at how much I enjoyed it from start to finish.

T@3

Well said, I completely agree. Everyone really carried their weight last night and Mick was especially soulful and unpredictable. peace

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:18

Less running and jumping and dancing and doing a work out on stage really is better for his singing quality!

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:19

whitem8

thumbs up I agree a 100 %

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:51

sanQ
He still sings fantastic and he sang some really great notes that I have never heard him sing before. He always improves! He never quits growing as a person and is smart enough to sing differently every time. Just brilliant like all the best: Dylan, Hendrix, Doors, and all the other greats from the 60's. Glad he's still going. He's one of the most amazing human beings of all time. Musically gifted with business sense.

I don't understand your comparism....Hendrix and Jim M. are dead. Dylan has nver been a "singer" and nowadays he is an old grumbling man.
I think Daltrey has improved a lot in the last couple of years.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 17, 2012 20:38

gipsy12
whitem8

thumbs up I agree a 100 %

You're so right, whitem8
Wild Horses and Paint It Black

I have noticed that the first five or six songs were about death
Mick is unsentimental even in his almost 70

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 21:00

midimannz
I agree, makes all the 'out of breath at the white house gig' comments . Is he struggling to keep up, not so Mick! Great

Well, he was out of breath at the White House and on SNL. I think those 8 weeks of rehearsal really knocked him into shape. Of course you have to be in generally good shape to begin with. Everyone I watched the PPV with marveled at Mick. When was the last time you didn't mind watching a 69 year old guy run around in a skin tight uniform? He was turning some of them young girls on in the pit. But let's also give props to Ronnie and Charlie who were equally 'on'.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 17, 2012 21:25

Mick's vocals and performances were excellent. His singing was really strong... He didn't "cheat on the notes" at all.

At times I wondered if Mick's voice was being processed electronically to make it sound young, if that is even possible. At times I thought the tonal quality of the singing sounded like Lennon's sped-up vocal on Lucy. Is that possible to do live? Almost like a kind of autotune? Did anyone else consider this?...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 17, 2012 21:30

Mick using the latest autotune technology... is possible.

But I don't think so.

Mick is an "in-betweener" note singer.

Auto-tune doesn't work for people like him.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: December 17, 2012 21:44

He is astonishing. The professionalism and sheer discipline it must take to maintain that standard so late in the game is incredible. His physical shape is an inspiration - not just thin with aerobic fitness but such suppleness and stamina. If we could all do what it takes to age so well, being an OAP would be a lot less scary!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 17, 2012 21:59

Come on, it isn't exactly Jussi Björling we are talking about here. For the most parts he's singing through the nose. One step further and he would be closing in on Bob Dylan. Give me a break.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:01

I've slagged off Mick for years... I've always hated the lazy and/or nasal thing he was doing.

I guess he listened to me.

Fair play, job well done.

HI MICK.

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:07

It's really easy to take Mick for granted. He's gone through some "annoying" phases but he's never been less than one of the best front men ever. When he gives performances like the 5 just ended, we tend to say "Of course he was great. He's never not been great" instead of noting that not only is it remarkable he's doing this at age 69, in some respects, he's better than ever.

I agree with the comments about the nuances of his singing. Amazing that a guy who spent large chunks of the 70's "barking" can sound as amazing as he did the other night as he did on Wild Horses, Start Me Up, etc

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:07

I think it does not matter if you attended 1 or all five shows this time The Band was out there and showed the very best by no means for at least a decade or even more. Mick Jagger was even released from the fact to hold the band together in their tune like he often was lost during ABB in Europe.
He got the confidence by all other members and was able to focus on his singer momentum.
What we have seen was outstanding. If we get some additional shows in this peak it would be miracles lighting up the daydreamer,

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:12

He was great....first time in years he didn't try to sing (most of the time) he just sang as it came

Date: December 17, 2012 22:18

He stopped running around.

AND he had a mic stand... BIG THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 17, 2012 22:26

Mick is IT!! It's about time some of those cynics agree that no one can compare to Jagger as an entertainer & frontman. Yes, he does work at it but he makes it look so damn easy...try dancing and singing along with him like I did when I saw the Stones in Brooklyn and in front of my TV Saturday night....I was wiped out in 30 minutes and he keeps going....like the Energizer Bunny...Mick seems to draw strength from the crowds' response to him....he was actually gleeful on Saturday. I've not seen him look so happy in decades! We SHOULD be in awe of him, he is beyond amazing. I am thrilled for him and for the entire band for putting forth such a supreme effort. Yup, I AM eating my words....the shows are WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Date: December 17, 2012 22:31

Mick sounded fantastic. Proves he never stops working on his vocals and his voice. Must be doing nasal rinses.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home