Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What makes Stones music special?
Posted by: frozengold ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:12

What is it in your opinion that makes Rolling Stones music special? Whats the secret?

Re: What makes Stones music special?
Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:15

The stones become more than the sum of their parts when they're playing together. That, and the level that the guitar weaving was at 30 years ago makes them a special band.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:19

their prices. anyone who can get away with charging these amounts is truly special.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:21

An auratic, aggressive and sexy groove combined with Mick Jagger's voice. Two elements that are hard to cover. I know that many people claim to be abled to perform that way, but I doubt it.

Date: December 3, 2012 00:26

For me it's Keith and Charlie...

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:38

frozengold
What is it in your opinion that makes Rolling Stones music special? Whats the secret?

Rolling Stones. The less Rolling Stones, the less special. No Bill Wyman, no "Wobble". No Mick Taylor, no classic take on Midnight Rambler, therefore less special. The more horns and backing singers, the more Vegas, and the less, well, special. These recent shows in London are proof of all of the above.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:41

This album:

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:43

In this order..........
The guitars, drumming, voice and bass.

Summarized in this two song.................

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 01:10

Awesome riffs! No other band in history comes close!

Date: December 3, 2012 01:15

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 3, 2012 01:53

Re awesome riffs, I think I hear Bruce Springsteen crying, "whatta about me?"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 3, 2012 05:59

The sum of the parts together. For me it starts with Keith his sound has not been duplicated at least to my ears. He is not Jeff Beck but he lays down the rythym and a menacing sound. Mick's voice and the sneer in it is perfect for the guitar sound. Then there is Charlie and Bill rock solid and the second guuitar with the weave so at times you don't know which guitarisy is playing what. Except in the case of Mick Taylor he is very distinctive and Brian in his latter years when he did not play much guitar. However Brian was special as well one he started the band and two his use of many different instrunents was great for the band in the sixties. All in all though Mick and Keith make them truly special,

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 06:05

stonesrule

Sorry Bruce, no offense intended!

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 3, 2012 06:14

Keith and Mick's songwriting abitly, writing songs with terrific melodies, yet keeping the songs raw, Brian who added just the right sounds in the early period as well as his incredible soulful harmonica, Bill's bouncy bass, Charlie's perfect rhythym, Mick Taylor's virtuoso and magic slide guitar, Mick Jagger's voice and magnetism, and Ronnie Wood who keeps it all together.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: December 3, 2012 23:08

sf37
stonesrule

Sorry Bruce, no offense intended!

I'm sure none taken from him!!

Date: December 3, 2012 23:12

It stems from people like Charlie...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 23:38

I think its the fact that not one instrument really stands out but all sounds great together.

Posted by: salty ()
Date: December 3, 2012 23:50

Tracks like "Rocks Off", "Rip This Joint" "Brown Sugar" and "Live With Me".

They started off simply as a carbon copy of black american music. Later they managed to produce stuff of their own that was faithful to the roots of the music without sounding too derivative and adding their own twist. This is exemplified by (among others) the tracks I've mentioned above.

Jagger has not got the best voice in the world but is very charismatic, and is unique on stage.

I also like the way the Stones developed an overall sound.

With the Stones the song comes first rather than the ego of different band members. (I'm thinking of the likes of Cream, where most of the songs were just starting points for 20 minute improvisations (also known as showing off).

Also, I like the fact that the classic Stones sound is a bit rough and unpolished.

I don't like my music too sanitised - it has to have that human element to it. Modern musicians often use computer software to correct technical imperfections in timing. I think you can lose something that way. I want the real thing!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 4, 2012 00:11

steel driving hammer
Add Bill and you have the elements that make up the very core of the band's sound...

Date: December 4, 2012 00:12

ChrisM
steel driving hammer
Add Bill and you have the elements that make up the very core of the band's sound...

True, but it's mostly Keith and Charlie, then the engine room...

Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home