Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bassist Rick Brown - sorry Rick
Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: November 25, 2012 20:12

A year and a half ago a reporter from the Daily Mail, Christopher Wilson, contacted me to see if I could put him in touch with the great bass player Rick(y) Brown. Christopher wanted to do a follow-up story of sorts to the Keith Richards tales from the 'Life' book regarding the early Stones shows (featuring Rick B. and Carlo Little). Well...this is how it came out (i never dreamed!)...I was ashamed that I had gotten Rick involved, he's a real gent these days...sorry Rick...T (I don't seem to be able to insert URL)
[www.dailymail.co.uk] ...T

Re: Bassist Rick Brown - sorry Rick
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 25, 2012 20:54

This is a shockingly badly written and researched article designed, it seems to me, to show the Stones ( and in particular, Mick Jagger) in the worst possible light.

Rick Brown (aka Ricky Fenson) was indeed one of the best bass players on the circuit and, along with drummer Carlo Little, he did help the Stones out in their early days. The band may well have loved to have had them on board but Ricky and Carlo were doing very nicely thank you as part of Lord Sutch's Savages.

To say that "Keith Richards and his co-­guitarist Brian Jones certainly wanted him in the band - but it was Mick Jagger who vetoed their choice, so his place was taken by the granite-faced Bill Wyman, the preferred choice because he came as a duo with drummer Charlie Watts." is a complete fiction.
Having said that, it's probably hardly surprising coming from the Daily Mail.

For those of you who don't know, ChicagoCalling runs the very excellent Cyril Davies website and it's well worth adding to your favourites: [www.cyrildavies.com]

Some more on Rick here on the Carlo Little website: [www.carlolittle.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Bassist Rick Brown - sorry Rick
Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:56

Cheers Deltics! Thanks for the king words. Yep, some poor journalism there for sure. Carlo & Rick were indeed a great, inventive rhythm section. Fortunately they were able to play together again before Carlo's passing. Here's a nice clip of Rick with Steampacket:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home