Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rough Justice/Mixed Emotions
Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 19, 2012 21:57

Listening to the Phoenix bootleg - it occurs to me that Rough Justice sounds a LOT like Mixed Emotions. Somehow I have never noticed this. Do others hear it?

Just curious...

Re: Rough Justice/Mixed Emotions
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 19, 2012 23:54

I always thought the guitar riff going into the chorus of Rough Justice was a variation on the Brown Sugar chorus. To me, Mixed Emotions didn't seem to have a lot of musical elements to it, just a thumping drone with sort of a catchy chorus, but not much else, so no, I'm not reminded of ME when hearing RJ. I think of RJ as kind of a latter-day staple, a classic if you will, and one that would have been a huge hit (top 5) if it had been released and recorded in 1989.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 20, 2012 00:08

All the Open G stuff sounds somewhat similar to all the other open G stuff.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 20, 2012 00:24

I don't dig rough justice at all, and when they were mixing mixed emotions i wish they would have mixed in 100% less backup singers into the final mix.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2012 00:29

I may be wrong, but I think my rolling stones would be astute enough, if they were going to rip themselves off anyway, to choose stronger material.

Mixed Emotions set the stage for decades of bland material. But it's not the worst example, (Don't Stop, High Wire, YGMR, Streets of Love) unfortunately.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 20, 2012 00:33

i dont like mixed emotions much, its bland and lacks energy.

dont stop, you got me rocking and streets of love are not up to much but high wire is good.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2012 00:39

buttons67

dont stop, you got me rocking and streets of love are not up to much but high wire is good.

I can't get past the lyrics to High Wire.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 20, 2012 02:11

Yeah there a bit preachy aren't they, like UC...on the other hand Rough Justice's lyrcis are aimless, and only funny when he goes "put your lips to my hips baby". ME lyrics make more sense but are a bit personal like OMS, SOL, useless/aimless. Which brings us to D&G, Mick's best lyrics in years, decades ? Funny, a tad political, fairly original, groovy !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 20, 2012 02:14

treaclefingers
buttons67

i can show you a detour...but it leads right to sweet neocon....

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 20, 2012 02:19

MrMonte
Listening to the Phoenix bootleg - it occurs to me that Rough Justice sounds a LOT like Mixed Emotions. Somehow I have never noticed this. Do others hear it?

Just curious...

not really sure what part specifically reminds you of it. The guitar riff? The main,opening riff on "Rough Justice" is Keith's suspended-4th chord that he does on everything. "Mixed Emotion's" main riff is just a straight major chord with a few suspended-4s sprinkled throughout. It's a little fill Keith does...he uses it everywhere in open G tuning. Look at how it's used on "One last Shot." same thing.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 20, 2012 02:24

treaclefingers
buttons67

Hot goin's and cold, cold, lies.grinning smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 20, 2012 02:38

there is no riff in rough justice...they could call it riff justice it still wouldn't have one.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 20, 2012 03:49

RJ is not a very good song. Liked it when I first heard it but the "riff" is not really a riff and Mick singing about roosters and cocks at his age very immature lyrics. Not one of their better songs though its still listenable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1314
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home