Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Should The Newark NJ Stones Shows Become Benefit Concerts?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 3, 2012 03:41

Will the Stones become benevolent and make the two shows in Newark NJ on December 13th and 15th benefit shows for storm victims?

Would they seem uncaring and greedy if they just took the proceeds and ran or do they now have an obligation to do something special for the area?

It seems fate is now in their hands. Karma put those shows right in the thick of things in NJ. What is the right thing to do?

Re: Should The Newark NJ Stones Shows Become Benefit Concerts?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 3, 2012 04:02

The Sicilian
Will the Stones become benevolent and make the two shows in Newark NJ on December 13th and 15th benefit shows for storm victims?

Would they seem uncaring and greedy if they just took the proceeds and ran or do they now have an obligation to do something special for the area?

It seems fate is now in their hands. Karma put those shows right in the thick of things in NJ. What is the right thing to do?

No. Because Keith will say something like "$12.5 million? That doesn't sound about right to me."

The people who bought the pricey tickets didn't lose a thing, as they come from the protected havens far inland or the super-secure high rises. This will be a country-clubber crowd coming to see a country club act [that even boasts a knighted landed gentry]. The Stones won't even mention the storm. Besides, what will $12 million do for a clean-up that will cost billions anyway?

Date: November 3, 2012 05:29

Exactly. Sandy didn't do anything to the Stones! And really, it was just a category 1. What's the big deal? The Stones need their money.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 3, 2012 17:19

'Would they seem uncaring and greedy?'

I think we got the answer to that the day the tickets went on sale. And before!

All kidding aside, I dont think anyone should be 'shamed' into performing for charity instead of for profit. Especially retrospectively. There may also be legal issues regarding taxable income as these shows were not sold as charity events. Is it also fair to oblige the promoter and venues to do likewise?

Besides, once the overheads are taken off for a benefit concert, it wont be the artist who has made the most significant charitable gesture of putting their hands in their pockets - its the ticket buyer who has done that.

There's a difference between allowing your services to be used for free and making a financial contribution. Its up to the individual's own conscience as to what choice they make. I'd imagine they'll opt for the latter - its certainly more practical.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 3, 2012 17:58

Gazza

All kidding aside, I dont think anyone should be 'shamed' into performing for charity instead of for profit. Especially retrospectively. There may also be legal issues regarding taxable income as these shows were not sold as charity events. Is it also fair to oblige the promoter and venues to do likewise?

Besides, once the overheads are taken off for a benefit concert, it wont be the artist who has made the most significant charitable gesture of putting their hands in their pockets - its the ticket buyer who has done that.

There's a difference between allowing your services to be used for free and making a financial contribution. Its up to the individual's own conscience as to what choice they make. I'd imagine they'll opt for the latter - its certainly more practical.

well said - and after all - isn't that why we have bruce springsteen?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:10

I don't think Bruce will donate the remaining 12 conserts gross revenue to East Cost people, neither will Jon Bon Jovi for his next many conserts. Why should Stones? Stones could have participated in the benefit consert, but there are already 3 big names....

Not to be rude and no doubt about I feel very sorry for the victims in NY, NJ etc. - but nobody talkes about Stones donating money to catastropies in Africa, South East Asia!!

Date: November 3, 2012 18:19

Gazza

While it may seem cut and dry, take the money and run, I believe the situation becomes somewhat difficult for them to just blow off. As the supposed leaders or greatest RnR band in the world, what does it say if their only contribution from at least one of these shows is just a mention or acknowledgement of the disaster.

I don't honestly believe that somehow they cannot directly contribute at least some proceeds from any of these shows or maybe another yet to be announced show, to the families or designated causes of the disaster.

I wondered why they booked these venues to begin with and now I really believe karma has set them up with a scenario that cannot escape from. They need to do something since they are right there. They did it for the earthquake victims of Nicaragua back in 1974.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:25

The Sicilian
Gazza

While it may seem cut and dry, take the money and run, I believe the situation becomes somewhat difficult for them to just blow off. As the supposed leaders or greatest RnR band in the world, what does it say if their only contribution from at least one of these shows is just a mention or acknowledgement of the disaster.

I don't honestly believe that somehow they cannot directly contribute at least some proceeds from any of these shows or maybe another yet to be announced show, to the families or designated causes of the disaster.

I wondered why they booked these venues to begin with and now I really believe karma has set them up with a scenario that cannot escape from. They need to do something since they are right there. They did it for the earthquake victims of Nicaragua back in 1974.
Bianca Jagger was from Nicaragua - else they wouldn't have thought of doing so.
Nobody knows how much money Mick or Keith donate here and there.
M. Bloomberg could donate his fortune to rebuilding NY

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:54

Bruce Springsteen has already performed, along with other notable musicians in a very recent concert to generate funds to help the NYers and NJers.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:02

Would be nice if they did that. Let's hope so.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 3, 2012 19:02

The Stones were already booked in NJ before the storm hit. They have the arena booked for the 13th and 15th of December.

Is the stage still sitting there assembled on the 14th? Or the 16th? The logistics are already in place. Just show up for a couple hours. The fans will pay.

Date: November 3, 2012 19:07

The Sicilian
The Stones were already booked in NJ before the storm hit. They have the arena booked for the 13th and 15th of December.

Is the stage still sitting there assembled on the 14th? Or the 16th? The logistics are already in place. Just show up for a couple hours. The fans will pay.

If they give it all on the PPV event scheduled Dec 15, Would they have the same fire the following night? Maybe not relevant -just thoughts-

Date: November 3, 2012 19:23

The Sicilian

Play two or three nights in a row?

Not gonna happen. Venue is unavailable on the 16th anyway. There's a basketball game on that night.

Will many local people be in a position to shell out more money at this time to watch a concert at short notice?

Date: November 3, 2012 19:35

Gazza
The Sicilian

Not gonna happen. Venue is unavailable on the 16th anyway. There's a basketball game on that night.

Will many local people be in a position to shell out more money at this time to watch a concert at short notice?

I would like to add that the traditional groups (Stones, even Bruce for the most part) usually will not play two nights in row. Maybe this is an idication that age requires some time to "regroup" physically?

Date: November 3, 2012 19:44

Gazza
The Sicilian

Do you have a positive reason why they could do it on the 15th?

Maybe they could play for 90 minutes, or even invite other guests. Who would refuse an invitation to play a benefit with the Stones if they are available? It is a month away.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 3, 2012 20:20

stonehearted
The Sicilian

No. Because Keith will say something like "$12.5 million? That doesn't sound about right to me."

The people who bought the pricey tickets didn't lose a thing, as they come from the protected havens far inland or the super-secure high rises. This will be a country-clubber crowd coming to see a country club act [that even boasts a knighted landed gentry]. The Stones won't even mention the storm. Besides, what will $12 million do for a clean-up that will cost billions anyway?

I heard they are giving anyone with a ticket, a free round of golf at your favorite course! Now it definitely worth the price of admission!smoking smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 3, 2012 20:26

The Sicilian

If they don't, I bet that Keith would probably give a sizable donation. I believe his In-laws live on Staten Island. Does Mick still own a place in the city?

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 3, 2012 20:40

this is a great idea. from their perspective, the good press would be through the roof. even if they donated half the proceeds or something, it would be fantastic.

I don't think it's a "right thing/wrong thing" kind of thing though. They have no obligations whatsoever to do it. But if they did something to reach out to the community in NJ and NY, much of which is truly devastated, it would be a great great thing for them to do.

very nice thinking

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 22:12

If they so then I would hope they send the money to Cuba and not the states. Charity begins at home and I'm not trying to bring politics into it but the campaign budgets for both candidates would go a long way to helping a few of their fellow countrymen out.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 3, 2012 22:17

I think it is a great question and the answer is it's much too late for that.
Maybe someone related to the shows (promoter, Jagger) will be kind enough to make a donation to one of the organizations cleaning the mess up. peace

Date: November 3, 2012 22:28

MrMonte
this is a great idea. from their perspective, the good press would be through the roof. even if they donated half the proceeds or something, it would be fantastic.

I don't think it's a "right thing/wrong thing" kind of thing though. They have no obligations whatsoever to do it. But if they did something to reach out to the community in NJ and NY, much of which is truly devastated, it would be a great great thing for them to do.

very nice thinking

Finally, someone with a heart.

When people and communities are in need, not just money, but support, and kindness prevails. Let's not forget, the fans pay the money, the band shows up. Everything is in place, the venue in NJ, the stage, equipment, and the trucks. If everything just sits empty and idle on the 15th then that is a wasted opportunity.

When people perform charitable work, they give up their time and effort to make it happen. Not give excuses why they can't. "We are too tired is to play 3 straight shows" is poor excuse. If you can't play music for 6 hours out of 72 hours you need to retire. Especially if you live the pampered life to begin with.

Date: November 3, 2012 22:36

Naturalust
Maybe someone related to the shows (promoter, Jagger) will be kind enough to make a donation to one of the organizations cleaning the mess up. peace

Why is it late??? The show is over a month away. Some musicians and stars got together for a brief fundraiser yesterday. Fans donate money by buying tickets the stars show up. IMO, donating money is the easy way out. Showing up and organizing and playing, that is the effort.

Although both are commendable examples here, what is more benevolent, donating a turkey to the food pantry or showing up to help cook and serve it?

Date: November 3, 2012 22:55

A bit disingenuous to say other people dont 'have a heart'.

Pointing out the practicalities of it and the likelihood that its unlikely to become a benefit show doesnt mean you (or even the people involved) dont 'care'.

Date: November 3, 2012 23:11

Gazza
A bit disingenuous to say other people dont 'have a heart'.

Pointing out the practicalities of it and the likelihood that its unlikely to become a benefit show doesnt mean you (or even the people involved) dont 'care'.

If a child tells someone "I want to become a doctor." What is the best response?

1. Well it will cost too much to pay for the schooling. Your malpractice insurance will erode your profits. Too much studying and schooling. The foreign kids are smarter and will get all the slots in Med school.

or

2. If you work hard you can achieve anything. I hope you succeed and can help many sick and injured people. You can make a lot of money if you open your own practice. Study hard and do your best.

My point to you is the purpose of a benefit show is to help people and communities in need. Finding positive ways to make it happen is the hard part. Not doing anything or pointing out all the negative reasons not to do it is very easy.

I'm not beating on you, I always respect your opinions, just the rush to condemn it without finding any good in it.

Date: November 3, 2012 23:20

The Sicilian
Naturalust

Why is it late??? The show is over a month away. Some musicians and stars got together for a brief fundraiser yesterday. Fans donate money by buying tickets the stars show up. IMO, donating money is the easy way out. Showing up and organizing and playing, that is the effort.

Although both are commendable examples here, what is more benevolent, donating a turkey to the food pantry or showing up to help cook and serve it?

One month before a Stones show all the details have been worked out I assure you. The tickets have been sold advertising the Stones 50th year show, not a benefit. That is why it is too late.

In any case, your thoughts are nice and your benevolence is obvious. I like the way you think. peace

Date: November 3, 2012 23:25

I'm not condemning it in any way. The motivation and your idea is 100% commendable and honourable. The 'not doing anything' bit is the responsibility of the artist and promoters, not someone on a message board saying it might be a bit tricky for them to do.

It's just difficult to achieve if the show wasnt sold as a benefit gig to begin with (obviously it couldnt have been as the ticket sale pre-dated the hurricane) because you'd have potentially millions of dollars being paid in taxes etc which could have possibly been written off as a charity donation.

Unless, of course, they could find some leeway around it at government level to agree to waive taxes for that purpose. I dont think that's unprecedented. Maybe itd have a knock on affect of outlawing re-sale of tickets on secondary sites for the occasion. Unlikely they could enforce that at short notice, of course.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 3, 2012 23:31

How about we all agree to pay an additional $100/ ticket if the Stones match the contribution? If we want them to put their money up, we should be willing to as well.

Date: November 3, 2012 23:50

Gazza
Maybe itd have a knock on affect of outlawing re-sale of tickets on secondary sites for the occasion. .

I like the way you think too! peace

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: November 4, 2012 00:55

NO

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 4, 2012 03:29

How many Americans here have donated money to Red Cross etc. for victims of the terrible Sandy storm?

I don't feel I have the right to expect the Rolling Stones to do a benefit concert and I don't ask my friends, "Have you given something to the Sandy relief effort?"

In case your're wondering, I have put my money where my mouth is. Not a lot...certainly not as much as a mid-range concert ticket. It's difficult to watch American news of the storm and the hell so many people are through without wanting to show at least a little support.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2117
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home