Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

check in for Charlie on NPR All Things Considered today
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 14, 2012 15:36

pt. 2 of All Things Considered's Stones spots...

Charlie picks a song.

which one will he talk about?

I hope its Paint It Black

that song got me when I first heard it on a car radio in 1966

I still remember listening to those pounding toms and mad cymbal / hi hat crashes

Re: check in for Charlie on NPR All Things Considered today
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 14, 2012 16:23

Loved Keith last night. It will be fun to hear what Charlie has to say.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 15, 2012 00:04

This week, All Things Considered is talking to The Rolling Stones one by one, in honor of the band's 50th anniversary. Each of the Stones was asked to pick one song from their archive to discuss. Drummer Charlie Watts — at 71, the eldest statesman in the bunch — chose the song that gave the group its first No. 1 hit in the U.S.
"I chose 'Satisfaction,'" he says. "It was just the first really big record we ever made. It's an iconic riff. It just sums up the whole period, really."

Released in 1965, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" is built around a simple three-note riff by Keith Richards. Watts says that, although he's the band's timekeeper, on stage he generally follows Richards' lead rather than the other way around.

"He usually starts the intros, and very much when we were in the early period of our existence," Watts says. "Monitors were kind of nonexistent, so I had to have his amplifier quite close to me, and they weren't very big amplifiers. With an audience shouting, I needed that to know where the changes came, because you could very rarely hear Mick."

Speaking of Mick Jagger, he made a guest appearance in Charlie Watts' conversation with NPR's Melissa Block while the two were discussing the song's distinctive beat.

Date: November 15, 2012 02:16

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:30

"Goin' well, this interview, innit?"

It had never occurred to me before about the beat on "Satisfaction" being similar to "Pretty Woman" - but he's right.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:42

Green Lady
"Goin' well, this interview, innit?"

Charlie <3

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:44

Four minutes of Satisfaction clip, two minutes of that scintillating conversationalist Mr. Watts. The funniest part is when Mick sticks his head in the door to provide Charlie with the correct answer. I think those two are more likely the old married couple in the band.grinning smiley

Date: November 15, 2012 02:51

latebloomer
Four minutes of Satisfaction clip, two minutes of that scintillating conversationalist Mr. Watts. The funniest part is when Mick sticks his head in the door to provide Charlie with the correct answer. I think those two are more likely the old married couple in the band.grinning smiley

Yes, the economist and the graphic designer do make for quite the compatible couple, particularly when it comes time to design the touring stage. The drunken junkies on guitar, they make up the other pair. Would be a boring band if all 4 members were the exact same, don't you think?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 15, 2012 03:03

stonesnow
latebloomer

Yes, the economist and the graphic designer do make for quite the compatible couple, particularly when it comes time to design the touring stage. The drunken junkies on guitar, they make up the other pair. Would be a boring band if all 4 members were the exact same, don't you think?

Yes, Mick and Charlie are the comfortable married couple, while Keith and Mick are the battling lovers - can't live with each other, can't live without each other - and Ronnie is the lovable child, always eager to please. There you have it, the physcology of The Rolling Stones, in one sentence. winking smiley

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 15, 2012 04:18

Charlie's always been the mystery man. Yet, he's been the rock as well.
About as un-rock'n'roll as they come, yet he's never been away.

I still say they should pull a jazzy-r'n'b recording. Could be sweet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home