Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith NPR
Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: November 13, 2012 16:04

I heard this morning that Keith will interviewed today on All Things Considered on NPR

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Re: Keith NPR
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 13, 2012 16:18

that should be interesting.

he was on Fresh Aire about a year ago.

how about Austin City Limits ...give the Stones a whole show...

smoking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 13, 2012 17:20

support NPR...its one of the best thing we have in this country....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 13, 2012 17:28

Rip This

My tax dollars are still supporting NPR, thank you.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:06

Can't get through the day without NPR!smoking smiley

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:17

And Big Bird thanks you.

Edith Grove
Rip This

My tax dollars are still supporting NPR, thank you.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:32

The federal government is like a 23 year old college chick who keeps spending Daddy's credit card. We need to take the card back. "Those are great things to buy your friends but Daddy can't afford it!"

With that disclaimer, NPR is great. In our area, WFPK (wfpk.org) is the ONLY station that would play Doom & Gloom, they have actual DJs who take requests, and absolutely phenomenal programming. They are the only FM station worth listening to, and the only music station on my dial.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:52

To our European friends: Please be advised that no one from Kentucky should be considered representative of the United States.

Date: November 13, 2012 18:56

very small amount of PBS and NPR budgets are federal monies. the rest is listener supported.

maybe a case can be made that it should all be listener supported.

that would mean affiliates in less populous areas would probably not continue broadcasting.

NPR and PBS are cultural neccessities, not luxuries, imo

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:56

Wow. A thread begun to announce that Keith will be on NPR this afternoon turned political fairly quickly...

Date: November 13, 2012 19:04

i didnt mean my comment to be political...i am just a fan of NPR and PBS, and do support them

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 13, 2012 19:17

i want more free stuff. who doesn't like more free stuff????

Date: November 13, 2012 19:26

i didnt like some of the music i downloaded for free..

cool smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 13, 2012 23:31

NPR is largely subsidized by people sending in checks...making donations...pledging...and the services rendered far outweigh what very extremely little cost they may be the federal government....politicizing something like NPR is ridiculous...

Date: November 13, 2012 23:43

Rip This
NPR is largely subsidized by people sending in checks...making donations...pledging...and the services rendered far outweigh what very extremely little cost they may be the federal government....politicizing something like NPR is ridiculous...

10 4

it really is..

thumbs up

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: November 13, 2012 23:53

Will Big Bird be interviewing Keith???eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 13, 2012 23:54

cookwazzahoe
Will Big Bird be interviewing Keith???eye rolling smiley

I think Oscar the Grouch would be a better fit.

Date: November 14, 2012 00:06

i hope the interviewer is knowledgeable about the stones

otherwise the questions could be like, ' why have the stones lasted so long, and the Beatles didn't'

or something..

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 14, 2012 00:12

Audio will be available from NPR.org @7 p.m. EST

Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood are celebrating 50 years of The Rolling Stones this year. The band released a compilation today titled GRRR!, which spans five decades of work, plus two new songs.

We asked each of the Stones to choose a song from the band's impressive catalog to discuss. Today, we begin with Keith Richards and his pick: "Street Fighting Man."

YouTube
For the 1968 track, Richards recorded an acoustic guitar through a cassette machine, naturally overloading the audio of the equipment with distortion.

"So you had this very electric sound, but at the same time, you had that curious and beautiful ring that only an acoustic guitar can give you," Richards tells NPR's Melissa Block. "It was just a bizarre way of making a record. And everybody, of course, is looking at me like I'm nuts. You know, I'm in the middle of this enormous studio with a little cassette machine and bowing before it with an acoustic guitar, and they go, 'What the hell is he doing? We'll humor him.' "

Sitars And Toy Drums

Just as crucial to Richards' unconventional cassette recording was Charlie Watts' equally unconventional drum kit.

"[Watts was] the only one at the time who got what I was going for," Richards says. "He actually brought along a little practice drum kit that fits in a little briefcase. Basically, you opened up the briefcase and there was a little cymbal and a tambourine and a pair of sticks. Charlie stuck with me on this track. I'm the rhythm player. I'm not a virtuoso soloist or anything like that. To work together with the drummer, that's my joy. This record, to me, is one of the examples of what can happen when two cats believe in each other."

Then there's the late Brian Jones, buzzing and droning through the track on sitar and tamboura.

"Brian was a master of picking up the weirdest instruments that happened to be around," Richards says. "Other records — he was playing bells. He was amazing at being able to master, at least for a certain song, a sound or an instrument that had nothing to do with guitars or anything. He was a great experimenter, Brian Jones. He threw a lot of flavors into a lot of our records that wouldn't have occurred to any of the rest of us."

all songs considered
Hear The Rolling Stones' Brand New 'One More Shot'
'Still Working On Them'

"Street Fighting Man" was banned by some U.S. stations. It was called "subversive," but Richards says it wasn't meant to be provocative.

"I wanted the [sings] to sound like a French police siren," he says. "That was the year that all that stuff was going on in Paris and in London. There were all these riots that the generation that I belonged to, for better or worse, was starting to get antsy. You could count on somebody in America to find something offensive about something — you still can. Bless their hearts. I love America for that very reason."

Richards says he has no doubt that "Street Fighting Man" will be a part of the upcoming Rolling Stones tour, likening that song and other Stones hits — "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar" — to the expensive sports cars from Maserati and Ferrari. ("You had the chassis," he says, "and now you remodel the body.")

"They're always interesting to play. You're not playing the same thing ever with songs like that. There's no de rigueur — sorry, I've just got back from Paris; I'm trying to get rid of my French," Richards says, laughing. "These riffs were built to last a lifetime, and I'm still working on them, you know?"

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: November 14, 2012 00:13

duke richardson
i hope the interviewer is knowledgeable about the stones

otherwise the questions could be like, ' why have the stones lasted so long, and the Beatles didn't'

or something..

Or the always popular NPR question, "My cat really gets tense when Stones music comes on. Does the same thing happen at your house??"

Buncha lamos....thumbs down

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 14, 2012 00:17

duke richardson
i didnt mean my comment to be political...i am just a fan of NPR and PBS, and do support them
Hi Duke. No problem. I wasn't referring to you anyway...

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: November 14, 2012 00:20

I'd rather hear him on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 14, 2012 00:50

WMiller
LOL...he could be a guest on the Not My Job segment.
Just heard Keith - really interesting about Street Fighting Man. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-14 01:02 by memphiscats.

Date: November 14, 2012 01:08

charlie on Street Fighting Man:

Watts said in 2003,

"'Street Fighting Man' was recorded on Keith's cassette with a 1930s toy drum kit called a London Jazz Kit Set, which I bought in an antiques shop, and which I've still got at home. It came in a little suitcase, and there were wire brackets you put the drums in; they were like small tambourines with no jangles... The snare drum was fantastic because it had a really thin skin with a snare right underneath, but only two strands of gut... Keith loved playing with the early cassette machines because they would overload, and when they overload they sounded fantastic, although you weren't meant to do that. We usually played in one of the bedrooms on tour. Keith would be sitting on a cushion playing a guitar and the tiny kit was a way of getting close to him. The drums were really loud compared to the acoustic guitar and the pitch of them would go right through the sound. You'd always have a great backbeat."[9]

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 14, 2012 01:27

WMiller

As a matter of fact, they interviewed a roadie of theirs from The '70s.
Some of you will know who I'm referring to. And it was for the "Not My Job"
segment. DAMN I wish I could recall his name. He was hilarious with lots
of inside stories. Anyway, the guy answered all three questions correctly.
The guy obviously was very intelligent as I believe he later became a vet.
But the way he got to his answers was downright bizarre, to the point that
host Peter Sagal stopped and asked how he came to one answer. Upon
clearing that up, Sagal quipped, "I want your mind."

One of the funniest shows ever.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 14, 2012 02:21

lettingitbleed
To our European friends: Please be advised that no one from Kentucky should be considered representative of the United States.

Oh yes they are. And so is Honey Boo Boo if you haven't been graced by her presence on your Euro TV sets yet.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 14, 2012 02:56

Audio is now available, and the other three Stones will be interviewed one at a time each day throughout the week.

[www.npr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home