Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Salt of the Earth Documentary of A Bigger Bang Tour
Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: November 9, 2012 19:54

Just saw this and I must say it is very well done. I didn't catch this tour but I loved the behind the scenes look. The segments on Rio and Buenos Aries were eye popping.

Re: Salt of the Earth Documentary of A Bigger Bang Tour
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 10, 2012 01:36

Yes, before the Rio concert as they were walking across the footbridge from the hotel to the stage you could see how genuinely excited The Stones were about playing before such a huge crowd. Mick and Charlie especially were absolutely goggle-eyed, which is proof that they do feed on the energy of a crowd as part of the buzz they get from being onstage. They also gave a great show, likewise with Buenos Aires, because the audience was so excited by the rare opportunity of seeing them live. Which makes me think how dull the New Jersey shows might be, what with the flat corporate demeanor the cell-phone-wielding country-clubbers that will be in attendance, mostly up front. While listening to the DVD of the Rio show on Bose headphones, I could swear I could make out someone in the audience, a woman, saying, during Rain Fell Down, "I don't care what they play! As long as they sound like that, they can play all night!"

Date: November 10, 2012 03:53

Shantipole
Just saw this and I must say it is very well done. I didn't catch this tour but I loved the behind the scenes look. The segments on Rio and Buenos Aries were eye popping.

See what they did on Four Flicks; makes this whole thing on The Biggest Bang rather...pretentious.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 10, 2012 15:58

yeah, FF documentary was slightly better, but both were amazing to watch!
I thought back then that it really captured the atmosphere of the tour.

Date: November 10, 2012 16:27

Amused

The Flicks one is original, in depth enough and all around entertaining. It really represented how big the band was around the world in a rather humble way, I thought. More of a showing than a bragging. The Bang one is just a repeat of what they already did only BIGGER, man. A bit more chest thumping and no where near as interesting I thought. They were bragging.

When I watched it the first thing I thought of was 'They're repeating themselves and it's boring'. I think had they done some kind of comparison, say a chart along with footage from each tour going back to 1969 it would have made sense. But just imitating what they already did was just too much 'look how big we are'.

Date: November 10, 2012 19:08

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Amused

The Flicks one is original, in depth enough and all around entertaining. It really represented how big the band was around the world in a rather humble way, I thought. More of a showing than a bragging. The Bang one is just a repeat of what they already did only BIGGER, man. A bit more chest thumping and no where near as interesting I thought. They were bragging.

When I watched it the first thing I thought of was 'They're repeating themselves and it's boring'. I think had they done some kind of comparison, say a chart along with footage from each tour going back to 1969 it would have made sense. But just imitating what they already did was just too much 'look how big we are'.

I can't say I agree with you completely:
1) I don't think the Stones were involved in montage of the clips for the movie,
2) and the montage is mostly what you're talking about;
3) they just acted, or, well - they were being themselves all the time.

so the comparison "bragging/not bragging" isn't the best way to look at those two documentaries or entire tours;
the documentaries were made to reflect the look&feel of varied, more intimate Licks Tour & massive TBB.

Date: November 10, 2012 19:36

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Amused

Yes, indeed. My exact same thoughts.

Date: November 10, 2012 20:48

I loved the SOTE documentary. It is the Buenos Aires segment. It is some of the most electrifying footage I have ever seen. But not the Stones; the BA audience. Now THAT is a rock'n roll audience. That makes stadium rock okay.
In one of the Ramones flics there is also an extended segment on them in So America.

Date: November 11, 2012 01:41

Amused
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Amused

I can't say I agree with you completely:
1) I don't think the Stones were involved in montage of the clips for the movie,
2) and the montage is mostly what you're talking about;
3) they just acted, or, well - they were being themselves all the time.

so the comparison "bragging/not bragging" isn't the best way to look at those two documentaries or entire tours;
the documentaries were made to reflect the look&feel of varied, more intimate Licks Tour & massive TBB.

I wasn't going for best way to look at it, that's just how it is.

Date: November 11, 2012 02:53

...but you judge tours in their entirety this way, not the documentaries themselves!
and you're writing it the way that I feel you blame the Stones for documentaries being not what you want them to be.

"that's just how it is", I'm kinda sceptical about statements like that. not the most philosophical way to discuss things, is it? ;^)

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 11, 2012 05:59

Is the documentary the COMPLETE National Geographic one which was screened as the tour wrapped up? If so, it was a great 'behind the stage' perspective. I enjoyed it. Glad we're all different in age and which part of the Rolling Stones we like and enjoy!

Date: November 11, 2012 06:18

Amused
...but you judge tours in their entirety this way, not the documentaries themselves!
and you're writing it the way that I feel you blame the Stones for documentaries being not what you want them to be.

"that's just how it is", I'm kinda sceptical about statements like that. not the most philosophical way to discuss things, is it? ;^)

Not what I want them to be, just a thought of a way they could have done it for the second time in a row. Observation being that the one in The Biggest Bang is beyond being humble like they did in Four Flicks. WOO HOO WE'RE THE ROLLING STONES. 54 TRUCKS! or whatever BS Jagger was whooting about.

yawn.

"Just the way it is" is about the observation being what it is; that it's a lot of hot air.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 11, 2012 11:12

The "54 trucks!" comment was in Four Flicks.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 11, 2012 11:27

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Amused

I completely agree with you. I only watched it once. I found Keith's commentary especially scripted, predictable and irritating. Just as the BB concert DVDs are an inferior copy of FF so is this documentary.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 11, 2012 17:14

yeah, its ff again, just bigger, oversized and overblown. they wanted 4 dvds, two of them were just filled with stand alone songs and the documentary, mthe other two, well just the texas gig would have it done. but it shows, that they always have to do it big, also if thereĀ“s nothing new...

Date: November 11, 2012 18:29

erikjjf
The "54 trucks!" comment was in Four Flicks.

HA HA! I knew it was one of those!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home