Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

If One More Shot Had Been Released in an Earlier Year, Then...
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 9, 2012 00:55

If One More Shot had been released in an earlier year, then on what CD or album would it fit in nicely. In other words, on what CD would it fit in neatly and seamlessly with the other songs?

It sounds like a Steel Wheels song to me. In fact, I wonder if it was written about that time, then put on the shelf for consideration for release later on.

Any thoughts?

Re: If One More Shot Had Been Released in an Earlier Year, Then...
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:34

Maybe in their satanic majesties request,

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:39

Would have been good on bigger bang,stones are rocking,yea,yea,yea.

Date: November 9, 2012 01:45

In a extra album of leftovers and the 4 40 licks "new songs"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:46

Belongs on Main Offender - except for the nananananas which belong in the dustbin.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:08

Any album before 1980. Then, someone like me who hears only a wee small hint of comparison to that AC/DC tune, could hammer the youtube comment section when AC/DC released their song... that would then, sound a lot like One More Shot. Lol.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:18

If it came out a year earlier, than I do believe it would have come out in 2011. And if it came out of a sasquatches arse, I still wouldn't call it special.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:23

flilflam
If One More Shot had been released in an earlier year, then on what CD or album would it fit in nicely. In other words, on what CD would it fit in neatly and seamlessly with the other songs?

It sounds like a Steel Wheels song to me. In fact, I wonder if it was written about that time, then put on the shelf for consideration for release later on.

Any thoughts?

As has been discussed in another thread, it reminds the listener of Talk Is Cheap. Theme-wise also, it could have dated from the late 80s, because the recent Life matter was not the first time Jagger/Richards had a public falling out, with Keith having to beg Mick for "one more shot". Would like to hear Keith's demo of the song to see if there is more of a soulful edge coming across aside from Mick's serviceable treatment of the lyrics. As a Stones release, it wouldn't really have fit on any of their albums, which explains why it has been included on the disposable Grrr! comp, but One More Shot would have been a fitting B-side to Almost Hear You Sigh. Give them a back-to-back listen, and note the same element of an imploring longing for reconciliation to a broken relationship inherent in both songs, an A- and B-side, both Keith songs and both sung by Mick.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:25

Probably 'Powerage' or 'Back In Black'

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:32

jamesfdouglas
If it came out a year earlier, than I do believe it would have come out in 2011. And if it came out of a sasquatches arse, I still wouldn't call it special.

I'd be gob-smacked.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 9, 2012 03:48

I don't really think one more shot should be allowed anywhere near almost hear you sigh. Almost hear you sigh has the ability to move people emotionally. Remember in the movie shine a light when keith was playing that cringe inducing sympathy for the devil solo, and weird front row people were doing that 'outstretched fingers close to yet not attempting to actually touch the guitar' thing? I bet even they'd stop outstretching their fingers and put their hands in their pockets during one more shot. It's just that generic.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 9, 2012 04:01

One more Shot is still growing on me. The duel refernece of "One More Shot." It refers to IV drugs, another chance for the Stones and another chance with Mick. It's a very rich title in its context.

The AC/DC "Shook Me all night Long" chorus really drags out. Brian Johnson really drags out "Shook me aaall night looong, you really shook me now." "One More Shot" is sung short and snappy. It makes it very different. That musical progression can also be found in something like Badge by Cream, Claptons guitar before he sings "yes I told you...." The vocal melody does not really echo AC/CD.

The song sounds reassured on the echo of the chorus. Yes the lyrics are minimal, but again, there is some interesting metaphore. The style is Johnny Cash prison song type.

I undestand that some people feel this is a cliche style, but you didn't want Johnny Cash doing rap. What he did he did well. What the Sones do they do better than anyone. So I'm satisfied. I could see this being a jukebox favorite, especially if it gets airplay.

Date: November 9, 2012 17:45

Gazza
Probably 'Powerage' or 'Back In Black'

hardy har har

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: November 9, 2012 17:52

Dirty Work

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 9, 2012 18:35

i'm considering legal action against flilflam for copyright infringement against "what if...." threads....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 9, 2012 19:11

This song was probably recorded during Keef last sessions with Steve Jordan. The sound is more similar to 'Talk is cheap' (Take it so hard / How i wish) than Main Offender.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: November 9, 2012 19:23

starting to like it,first thought was it sucked.

Date: November 9, 2012 21:32

StonesTod
i'm considering legal action against flilflam for copyright infringement against "what if...." threads....

Fortunately for him your case is flimsy. You're copyright is clearly for the use of the two words, "What if" in tandem.

Anyone can use the words 'what' or 'if' individually as they choose. It is open source code, or something.

Date: November 9, 2012 21:59

treaclefingers
StonesTod

Fortunately for him your case is flimsy. You're copyright is clearly for the use of the two words, "What if" in tandem.

Anyone can use the words 'what' or 'if' individually as they choose. It is open source code, or something.

reminds me of the old alan king gag: his house burns down, so he calls his insurance agent to make a claim. agent says he can't help. guy says he's covered with his fire and theft policy....agent responds that he should have bought the "fire OR theft" policy...his policy would only work if the house burned down while it was being robbed....

Date: November 9, 2012 22:02

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

reminds me of the old alan king gag: his house burns down, so he calls his insurance agent to make a claim. agent says he can't help. guy says he's covered with his fire and theft policy....agent responds that he should have bought the "fire OR theft" policy...his policy would only work if the house burned down while it was being robbed....

good one.

Date: November 9, 2012 22:03

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

good one.

alan was king

Date: November 9, 2012 23:57

nanana nana nanana ...........mola mogollón

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 10, 2012 00:04

ABB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home