Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No anti-touting measures is the biggest joke
Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:09

Shame on the band and Richard Branson, primarily for not putting anti-touting measures in place.

Yes, the ticket prices at face value are still a joke, especially having a top price ticket on the upper tier of the O2, but we could just about come to terms with and save/loan for them.

But £1,500+ for semi-decent seats or standing via the touts is a disgrace. It isn't hard to have the name of the ticket holder printed on each ticket with a form of ID required to get in.

Re: No anti-touting measures is the biggest joke
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:12

Welcome to Capitalism.

Business people are doing this all over the world on a much grander scale.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:16

GravityBoy
Welcome to Capitalism.

But they've done the longest time, and in the end all the money will be worth nothing at all.

Date: October 22, 2012 16:17

You see you can't even give them credit for executing capitalism well because it doesn't look like they're going to add more shows to cope with demand - at least not in London. I can see them adding a further ten or more in the States, the place they usually bleed dry for months during tours.

I used to despise Michael Cohl and his running of their tours, but how bleakly does this situation compare....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-22 16:17 by TomGreen.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:32

GravityBoy
Welcome to Capitalism.

Perhaps they are. However, it's not unheard of for a big ticket act to put such measures in place. Tom Waits, for instance, does it.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:39

"money will be worth nothing at all"

Oh Really? Well then i guess you will have no problem sending me ALL of your CASH!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:41

TomGreen
Shame on the band and Richard Branson, primarily for not putting anti-touting measures in place.

Yes, the ticket prices at face value are still a joke, especially having a top price ticket on the upper tier of the O2, but we could just about come to terms with and save/loan for them.

But £1,500+ for semi-decent seats or standing via the touts is a disgrace. It isn't hard to have the name of the ticket holder printed on each ticket with a form of ID required to get in.

<<< It isn't hard to have the name of the ticket holder printed on each ticket with a form of ID required to get in >>>

Indeed, but they couldn't even be shagged to insist that the promoter and/or ticket agency tried to implement even simple measures like that. Shameful !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:44

I'm pretty sure the Stones are in no way contractually responsible for any of this crap.

They just signed on the line for the money.

The detail was other people very far removed.

Date: October 22, 2012 17:07

GravityBoy
I'm pretty sure the Stones are in no way contractually responsible for any of this crap.

An act can specify whatever the heck it likes, if it can be bothered. For instance, Morrissey insists that no meat products are sold in the environs of his gigs, and that none of his crew consume meat products whilst working for him (I have the crew information first hand)

Now, if the Stones can't be bothered, or don't care, then that's fine; but to say they're not responsible is a question of perspective. If they wanted to take responsibility for 'toutless' ticketing, they could; the fact that they don't (for whatever reason) means that they're responsible for a lack of it.

Whether - of course - they actually give a curse about this is anybody's guess, though I'm thinking they don't.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 19:09

All this make Michael Cohl look like an angel!

Date: October 22, 2012 23:57

Bring back Michael Cohl!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 23, 2012 00:01

TomGreen
Bring back Michael Cohl!

Great example of "better the devil you know, than the devil you don't"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 23, 2012 00:14

GravityBoy

There is a great short movie/story in the making here.

Where in the begining someone develops a great cure/service/product, but eventually they sell off the right to market the cure/service/product to evil business overlords, and the evil overlords fuvk it all so baddly that by the time the actual cure/service/product funnels down to people who actually use the service, it kills evrybody and everything... and the world ends... and everyone is dead... there arent even any zombies... or cockroaches.... and at the end of the movie the original someone wonders why there are no more people buying/needing their cure/service/product... and then the plot twist.... because actually / factually the original someone would be dead too... and it was all their fault, for not properly looking after, and marketing, their own cure/service/product. THE END

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 00:16 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2012 00:31

TomGreen

Its basically down to the Stones asking for so much money.

Economically, its in Branson and Dainty's best interests to do nothing about tickets being bought up by touts and resold for inflated prices. I think they had to have an average ticket price of £210 just to break even. If they're selling them at an average of over £300 (or whatever it is) then it makes no sense to them from a business perspective to narrow the field of potential ticket buyers to 'legit' customers. They've now sold all the tickets and got the return on their investment, so its mission accomplished and the risk of bidding £16 million for the shows has paid off. The fact that thousands of the tickets that have been sold have been purchased by people who will not attend the shows is no longer their problem.

Had the band's guarantee been significantly lower and ticket prices were, say, £100 on average, they'd have had no problem selling the tickets if they took out anti-scalping measures.

Date: October 23, 2012 02:03

Gazza
TomGreen

Economically, its in Branson and Dainty's best interests to do nothing about tickets being bought up by touts and resold for inflated prices. I think they had to have an average ticket price of £210 just to break even. If they're selling them at an average of over £300 (or whatever it is) then it makes no sense to them from a business perspective to narrow the field of potential ticket buyers to 'legit' customers. They've now sold all the tickets and got the return on their investment, so its mission accomplished and the risk of bidding £16 million for the shows has paid off. The fact that thousands of the tickets that have been sold have been purchased by people who will not attend the shows is no longer their problem.

Had the band's guarantee been significantly lower and ticket prices were, say, £100 on average, they'd have had no problem selling the tickets if they took out anti-scalping measures.

Bingo. As i was saying to Paulywaul on another thread, it's too easy to rail against Ticketmaster (and to an extent the secondary sites) in encouraging/enabling/facilitating touts, but NEVER ever lose sight of the fact that in all respects it's the band, or their people that call the shots. They know full well what they're doing, what they're not doing and the reason(s) for both.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 23, 2012 12:18

textmonkey
Gazza
TomGreen

Bingo. As i was saying to Paulywaul on another thread, it's too easy to rail against Ticketmaster (and to an extent the secondary sites) in encouraging/enabling/facilitating touts, but NEVER ever lose sight of the fact that in all respects it's the band, or their people that call the shots. They know full well what they're doing, what they're not doing and the reason(s) for both.

Yes, I guess the chain of events all starts with the intial fee the band charges .... and it's all "downhill" from there, so to speak !!

So OK, if that's the likely case here, one could ask if it's really necessary for the Rolling Stones to charge the purported £16 million for these shows ? By any standards, the answer has got to be a resounding NO - surely ?

WTF ... ? Take a cut in salaries boys, give us a break !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 12:19 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2012 14:17

paulywaul
So OK, if that's the likely case here, one could ask if it's really necessary for the Rolling Stones to charge the purported £16 million for these shows ? By any standards, the answer has got to be a resounding NO - surely ?

Shush. There are people on here who are saying they cant see what people are complaining about.

In other words, four guys worth a billion dollars between them and who dont pay more than 1% tax in their income TREBLING the price of the average concert ticket from their last shows just five pre-recession years ago is perfectly reasonable and understandable - and people like you who object to it are 'unrealistic' in expecting the shows to be 'cheap' (there cant be any grey area in this - anyone 'whining' about ticket prices being over £300 on average automatically expects the shows to be cheap - no middle ground allowed)

People obviously just dont understand that these guys just 'love what they do' so much they're willing to share a stage together for a trifling £16 million for four nights work. If they're being so reasonable and understanding, why cant we so-called fans be the same and pay what is an average week's salary to watch them on a grainy out of synch video screen from 100 feet above the stage? After all, theyre not getting younger or healthier and its their first shows for five years - its bound to be worth the money. I mean, really!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 14:24 by Gazza.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 23, 2012 14:36

Well we haven't seen the tickets yet,right ? There might be a name on them...

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: October 23, 2012 15:04

gotdablouse
Well we haven't seen the tickets yet,right ? There might be a name on them...
GetMeIn, SeatWave, ViaGogo, StubHub...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home