Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

CS Blues
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:02

After watching the new film last night I dug CS Blues out today. I'm sure this has all been discussed ages ago but I couldn't spot a recent thread.

I understand why the Stones didn't want it released but any reason why a cut down (censored) release wasn't put together? Alternatively Frank must have reels of other footage available for a different more music based version.

At least that way they would mad a few bob out it.

Re: CS Blues
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:10

I lost some respect for the Stones after watching this film. I lost respect for the Stones after see the recent ticket prices too. Looking for some new heros these days. Any suggestions? peace

Date: October 19, 2012 19:34

Naturalust
I lost some respect for the Stones after watching this film. I lost respect for the Stones after see the recent ticket prices too. Looking for some new heros these days. Any suggestions? peace

Hello NL

What didn't you like like the most after watching CS to the extent of losing respect?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 19, 2012 19:45

Naturalust
Neil Young!

Tell him hi for me this weekend, will ya?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: October 19, 2012 19:48

I liked CS Blues. I'm guessing the respect departure for NL might be the plane scene. It was crass and vulgar. However, I don't think (or at least I'd like to believe) it was a normal occurrence. If you read STP, you'll see it was a staged - even so - pretty low on the totem pole of cool.

Regardless, I thought CS is an interesting glimpse at lives of rock 'n rollers in the 70s. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the Stones who had some examples of outlandish behavior. Plus Robert Frank shot and edited this - while I like his photos I think he's kind of a weird dude - totally taken with the whole sex & drugs thing - which is pretty obvious in the film.

Finally - I think the reason it wasn't cut & released is due to some kind of hassle with who holds the rights. I think Frank has some of it (release rights) and the Stones have some too. You'll see some of the clips from CS in Stones in Exile and other Stones' flix. smoking smiley

Date: October 19, 2012 19:59

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
Neil Young!

thumbs upthumbs up Hi from me too! And backstage passes at his concert at the Barclay Ctre would be sweet. winking smiley

Date: October 19, 2012 20:06

memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
Neil Young!

thumbs upthumbs up Hi from me too! And backstage passes at his concert at the Barclay Ctre would be sweet. winking smiley

NL, you should set up memphiscats on that. Heck, it would actually be doing Neil the favor to bless him with her precence.... I wouldnt even ask for a heathen like myself, I was raised by wolves..... but for a sweetie like mc, you'd be helping Neil. thumbs up

Date: October 19, 2012 20:33

Yeah that plane scene was one of the reasons, if it was staged I still think it was pretty bad. Also the part where they are asking Mick and Keith about the songs on Exile and they are so friggin' stoopid that they can't even remember which songs are on the record. This right after they finished the long process of recording and mixing...

Plenty more scenes were hard to digest, the dregs hanging around in the hotel rooms, the chick shooting heroin and talking about her necklace, the disrespect they showed for Tina Turner and opening acts, the idiot dealer talking about the brotherhood of heroin enthuiasts, Terry Southern whenever he opened his mouth....anytime Marshall Chess opened his mouth.....

There was a time when I could have been infactuated with all the stupidity and lifestyle stuff but it must have passed by the time I watched the film.

Yes I do adore Neil Young, thanks for reminding me Max! Some of the rock stars playing the Bridge concert are hanging around this week. Just getting some cream for the coffee at the local market has been like a backstage romp. Jack White and the girl band have got my attention at the moment.....peace

Obviously it was a different time and maturity isn't something I would necessarily expect from rock stars.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:20

I too have a copy of CS Blues and have on occasion wondered why it hasn't been released in remastered form. To answer my own question, the film seems to drag and is all in all quite a bore. The film is one long muddle, and I can't even recall how it ended, just various scenes. It's just a 1972 reality show of a band and its associates on tour, and, offstage, tour is a bore. Gimme Shelter on the other hand is an epic. Even with the offstage footage, and even with the incredibly non-action-packed view of the Stones sitting in the studio listening to a playback of Wild Horses, the film is masterfully well-paced, building in excitement, with an unforgettable climax of human mortality played out ruthlessly onscreen, to the aftermath as the band lifts off in the helicopter and the remaining straggles of fans stumble along the hillside toward home.... as a tour documentary sequel CS Blues just pales in comparison to what was still fresh in people's (and the Stones') mind as compiled by the Maysles brothers just 2 years before. CS Blues would have just flopped critically and financially.

Date: October 19, 2012 21:24

Naturalust
Yes I do adore Neil Young, thanks for reminding me Max!...

He is the reigning King if you ask me..

Have fun this weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 21:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:46

Naturalust

Date: October 20, 2012 01:24

Naturalust
Yeah that plane scene was one of the reasons, if it was staged I still think it was pretty bad. Also the part where they are asking Mick and Keith about the songs on Exile and they are so friggin' stoopid that they can't even remember which songs are on the record. This right after they finished the long process of recording and mixing...

Plenty more scenes were hard to digest, the dregs hanging around in the hotel rooms, the chick shooting heroin and talking about her necklace, the disrespect they showed for Tina Turner and opening acts, the idiot dealer talking about the brotherhood of heroin enthuiasts, Terry Southern whenever he opened his mouth....anytime Marshall Chess opened his mouth.....

There was a time when I could have been infactuated with all the stupidity and lifestyle stuff but it must have passed by the time I watched the film.

Yes I do adore Neil Young, thanks for reminding me Max! Some of the rock stars playing the Bridge concert are hanging around this week. Just getting some cream for the coffee at the local market has been like a backstage romp. Jack White and the girl band have got my attention at the moment.....peace

Obviously it was a different time and maturity isn't something I would necessarily expect from rock stars.

I think I understand what you mean. Everyone stablishes his own moral horizons to get by in life so to speak. I decided a very long long long time ago not to care or pay attention to their personal lives. Because anyone who has spent time/cared to delve in that issue and has gained experience in life....perfectly knows the things that surely may have happened. So....it's better set a boundary and stop there. Enough. I mean....you know...It is better enjoy their music disregarding their personal lives. It's better play dumb in regard to that issue. (this way severes/impedes the full understanding of their music but...)

Posted by: charlie62 ()
Date: October 20, 2012 02:14

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
Neil Young!

NL, you should set up memphiscats on that. Heck, it would actually be doing Neil the favor to bless him with her precence.... I wouldnt even ask for a heathen like myself, I was raised by wolves..... but for a sweetie like mc, you'd be helping Neil. thumbs up
I love this guy, I still haven't seen him live

Date: October 20, 2012 19:21

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
Neil Young!

Funny Max I was raised by angels but chose to run with wolves when I was 13 or 14. We all find our pack in the end and I have no regrets.

Hey MCats, do you have a ticket to the Barclay Center show? Not sure how to get in touch with you about it all, I may be able to help you out there. I of course would need more info...the date of the show, your name , etc. Since we are both anonymous posters...

Neil is not much of a backstage person in general, he usually hangs in his own space with the red (do not disturb) flag up prior to the show. He does however take interest in the warmup acts and sometimes watches from the wings. The real show is in the first 15 rows or so, and backstage is rather a bore except for the bar and buffet imho. I usually find a spot side stage where I can hear/see the guitars and steal a few licks....

Bridge concert is tonight and tomorrow so I'll be tied up for the next two days but in good company..... hoping to get to know Jack White's fiddle player winking smiley peace

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 20, 2012 19:35

Naturalust
Also the part where they are asking Mick and Keith about the songs on Exile and they are so friggin' stoopid that they can't even remember which songs are on the record. This right after they finished the long process of recording and mixing...

I know it's hard for us puny mortals to comprehend why the Stones don't always remember every detail of their recording career, but let's face it, to them, the artists, they create a song, and work like the f-ing devil on it, come up for air, and then move on to create something else. As a writer currently working on a 4th novel I sometimes look at an earlier work of mine and have forgotten a lot of it.

I wonder if someone like Jagger is more aware of what Beatle song is on what Beatle album than his own? It was quite common among my friends to know the songs and running orders on almost all Beatle albums.

Also....has anyone considered the title alone could cause marketing problems?

Date: October 20, 2012 19:51

emotionalbarbecue
Naturalust

I think I understand what you mean. Everyone stablishes his own moral horizons to get by in life so to speak. I decided a very long long long time ago not to care or pay attention to their personal lives. Because anyone who has spent time/cared to delve in that issue and has gained experience in life....perfectly knows the things that surely may have happened. So....it's better set a boundary and stop there. Enough. I mean....you know...It is better enjoy their music disregarding their personal lives. It's better play dumb in regard to that issue. (this way severes/impedes the full understanding of their music but...)

Yes I am getting there. In fact the music of the Stones that I like so much was created in an era where I was too young to understand any of their personal lives and such, not that I didn't try for a while.

I think your philosophy is healthy and I'm going to adopt it as much as it works for me. That being said, I haven't been really moved by a Stones song since Some Girls, but the ones from Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile are so damn good that I can't help holding on for more. I think Jimmy Miller was more important to them than they will ever realize. peace

Date: October 20, 2012 19:56

Naturalust
Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
Neil Young!

Funny Max I was raised by angels but chose to run with wolves when I was 13 or 14. We all find our pack in the end and I have no regrets.

Hey MCats, do you have a ticket to the Barclay Center show? Not sure how to get in touch with you about it all, I may be able to help you out there. I of course would need more info...the date of the show, your name , etc. Since we are both anonymous posters...

Neil is not much of a backstage person in general, he usually hangs in his own space with the red (do not disturb) flag up prior to the show. He does however take interest in the warmup acts and sometimes watches from the wings. The real show is in the first 15 rows or so, and backstage is rather a bore except for the bar and buffet imho. I usually find a spot side stage where I can hear/see the guitars and steal a few licks....

Bridge concert is tonight and tomorrow so I'll be tied up for the next two days but in good company..... hoping to get to know Jack White's fiddle player winking smiley peace

I hope I not intruding, Im only trying to help my Memphis buddy out.
Yes she has tickets booked for the show on December, 3, 2012.. I dont know her real name either... but maybe she will check in today and you two can email about it.... that would be awesome...

Date: October 20, 2012 19:59

But still for me... just say hi to him fro me... that all. smiling smiley

I guess something like... YO NEIL!! this guy in KC says "hi"..... winking smiley

LOL.... maybe just work on mc's deal... and skip mine grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 20:01 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 20, 2012 20:06

NOW.....
uuuuuuuuuumuumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu
sending out mental vibes
uuuuuuuumumumumumumumumumumumumumu
memphiscats check in to IORR......
uuuuuummumumumumumumuumummuu

Date: October 20, 2012 22:25

Max you are true blue man! I'm off to the venue but will check in from time to time. I will be happy to accomodate your request and report back with his sarcastic but hilarious "joke's on me" answer. peace

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 21, 2012 00:09

I just watchedtnefirst ten minutes on YouTube. I found it borderline unwatchable. Terrible amateur camera work.

Date: October 21, 2012 01:00

Max'sKansasCity
NOW.....
uuuuuuuuuumuumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu
sending out mental vibes
uuuuuuuumumumumumumumumumumumumumu
memphiscats check in to IORR......
uuuuuummumumumumumumuumummuu
I just heard this smiling smiley Man - some serious cosmic waves.

Thanks guys for your kind consideration!!! I'm going to the show on Dec. 3 at Barclay. I'm so excited. Of course, ANY Neil insider stuff would be a dream come true - I think you guys know how much I love Neil! But really - I'm just happy to hang out & listen to Neil!
Thanks guys - you are my IORR heros
p.s. Please - if anyone is going to be in NYC for the show, I'd love to hang out & have a couple of drinks! I'm flying up on Thursday before and I'll be there for a week. Rock on!! smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home