Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ranking of Doom and Gloom?
Date: October 12, 2012 20:23

I thought of four tasks in a kind of poll, because I'm curious, what you think about the new song and maybe it gives some ovierview on different opinion this way.

1.) How many stars out of five do you give a) the radio edition b) the album version (and why)? Meaning:

1=horrible, can't stand it and makes me sick; 2=listenable, but once is more than enough; 3=decent, but nothing special, boring or has some elements that annoy me to much to be good; 4=good, just lacks something to totally excite me; 5=fantastic, one of the best songs I know

2.) If you would have to do a ranking of all Stones songs referring to quality, which three ones would come directly prior to Doom and Gloom on this list and which three ones come directly after it. Alternatively you can distinguish between decades (the next three better and worse ones in the 60s, 70s, 80s, ..., if Gloom and Doom would belong in that decade). Leave out Keith vocals songs. You may put two songs on the same position, if you can’t decide and like them equally (then there will be more than three songs prior or after maybe, the two equal songs count as one).

3.) Which other Stones song does it resamble the most musicalwise or lyricwise?

4.) Which other songs beside Stones songs, do you think inspired Mick (as it is a song Mick brought)

My answers:

1.) a.: 3 stars because it sounds so hard rock, which I don't like that much. The guitar work sounds too monosonic and clumsy for me, it’s a powerful sound but without interesting details. In the live versions I hope they will do a little more "weaving/playing around/soloing" with it, can imagine that helps. Does sound like something I heard before, but is quite catchy and I like the refrain and the middle part, which sounds interesting but is very short though. Mick sings quite good with some nasal exceptions (some "Yeahs" e.g.), I like the extended words here (“And aaaaaalll I hear…). Not interesting enough for me to wanna buy it, though I think it could become a hit. b.: haven't heard the album version yet

2.) don't know for all songs or all decades, but

2000s, since it's the easiest (less and similar songs), from better to worse:

-Laugh I Nearly died
-She Saw Me Coming,
-Let Me Down Real Slow

-Doom and Gloom (radio mix), Look what the Cat Dragged In (could one use some elements from Cat to make Doom more interesting?)

-Biggest Mistake
-Back of My Hand (I would absolutely like it, if he wouldn’t do these misplaced nasal “Oh yeahs”. The harmonica part is so beautiful I always fall in love with it, but then the following part rouses me from my dream)
-Rough Justice

3.) musically resamblence: You Got Me Rocking, Driving Too Fast, Dangerous Beauty

4.) other inspirations: ZZ Top: Sharped Dressed Man; will.i.am: T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever) Wasn’t that quite successful, maybe Mick tries to produce a hit by a similar singing style; Mando Diao: Dance With Somebody

Re: Ranking of Doom and Gloom?
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 12, 2012 20:52

1) Solid Four stars man. not a classic, but better than I expected

2) Looking from Voodoo onwards knocking around the top five along with:

Love Is Strong
Rough justice
You Got Me Rocking
Like a Rollin' Stone

and Not forgeting:

I Go Wild (yeah man, I like the rockers)

3)It's like Rough Justice pt 2. Which is fine with me

4) has it got a bit of Highwire n neocon vibe going through it? with its cod moralising thrown in the verses? other than that. Main influence. Da Stones man

\m/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home