Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No security
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 10, 2010 14:20

audun-eg
wandering spirit
i agree with those who are of the opinion that is the best post-1982 life albums of the stones (excepting Stripped). very good choice of songs, 4 songs of their most recent album, and in general very interesting versions of the songs; i especially like The last time (cant understand why some of you consider it "lame"), Out of control, Flip the switch and You got me rocking....

The Last Time isn't as good as it could be because the beat is straight 4/4 rythmically. The original has a swing/shuffle groove that suits the song much better. Wonder why they (Charlie) changed that.

Yes, thats exactly what I mean, audun-g. If they change arrangements of songs, I have no problem with it as long as as a new arrangement is better or simply as good as the old -original- one. This is not the case with The Last Time on NS. It has lost its swing, and the boring 4/4 adds nothing, so the song wanders along quite aimlessly.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 10, 2010 15:17

audun-eg
wandering spirit
i agree with those who are of the opinion that is the best post-1982 life albums of the stones (excepting Stripped). very good choice of songs, 4 songs of their most recent album, and in general very interesting versions of the songs; i especially like The last time (cant understand why some of you consider it "lame"), Out of control, Flip the switch and You got me rocking....

The Last Time isn't as good as it could be because the beat is straight 4/4 rythmically. The original has a swing/shuffle groove that suits the song much better. Wonder why they (Charlie) changed that.

different doesn't make it weaker, just different. i like it both ways. i like it when they purposely and consciously change things like this - the slow version of 19NB on the last tour being another notable example...

Date: December 10, 2010 16:02

StonesTod

different doesn't make it weaker, just different.

I would agree if you had added "per se" after "weaker", but as it stands its not what I have said. The Stones were masters of re-arranging, just think of their early cover versions and later live-reworkings of their own songs (Get Yer Ya Yas Out!) and thats a big part of what makes them great for me.

In fact I am one of those here who usually criticize the Vegas Stones for a lack of creativity in live arrangements because they usually try to stick to the recorded arrangements!

I also liked Dylans reworking of his own songs for live shows a lot, but since the late 80s or eraly 90s, that has changed for me and since then I increasingly find a lot of Dylans live rearrangements of his songs simply ugly - for me its more destroying his songs than 'breathing new life' into them.

In the end, its all down to personal taste, I for one always search for the skip button whenever this NS live version of The Last Time comes up,and in my book the slow version of 19NB falls into the same category, but hey, we cant agree on everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-10 16:07 by alimente.

Date: December 10, 2010 16:08

well i won't add "per se" (cos we're not in france...or something)....but I could add a ", necessarily." i'll think about that and get back to you....

Date: December 10, 2010 16:14

StonesTod
well i won't add "per se" (cos we're not in france...or something)....but I could add a ", necessarily." i'll think about that and get back to you....

Well a french friend of mine once said that "France is everywhere", but "necessarily" is ok with me once you decide to add it...take your time,theres no need to rush, think about it for a while and dont hesitate to inform me about your final decision!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 10, 2010 16:34

"per se" is latin.

It means more or less in itslef.

C

Date: December 10, 2010 16:41

liddas
"per se" is latin.

It means more or less in itslef.

C

ok, then we're not in latinland....and i don't know what itslef means, but it sounds more germanic than latiny....

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 10, 2010 16:45

I like this album because Mick sings more like his studio self than he does on some other live albums, where he broadens his voice to preserve it and it's a duller voice. But the album does make me feel insecure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-10 16:47 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 10, 2010 17:21

It is what it is - a live album with one previously released live track.

Well unless you count Got LIVE If You Want It as a live album - then it has two previously released live tracks.

Date: December 10, 2010 17:42

"itslef" sounds turkish in my ears...or is it gaelic for "ad nauseum"?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 10, 2010 17:44

No Security, just like live licks, has no identity.

Up to Still life (or, Flashpoint, if we count that as a live album) all live albums were structured as a concert, with a start, and end, and a taste of what happened in between.

Stripped was a concept by itself. SAL would be almost perfect if it included a couple of songs from ABB.

NS is sounds like a collection of songs, "rarities" if you want, that could come from any tour. Even if it has lots of B2B songs in it. After the intro my ears were prepared to hear Satisfaction, not Rocking, because that was the opening of the B2B tour!

That said, sure the disk has some gems. Thief in the night wins hands down. Control is a close second. I love the Kent Smith bit on Control!

C

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 10, 2010 17:57

liddas
SAL would be almost perfect if it included a couple of songs from ABB.

Ha ha ha ha ha! OK. I disagree - but NOT on the lack of ABB songs not on it (although I certainly would not agree if Streets Of Shit was on it). SAL would have been better if they had left off at least 7 songs.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1392
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home