Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Mirkwood, formerly named "Rolling Stones"
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:15

Mirkwood was a progressive rock band playing in the seventies. However according to Wikipedia an early version of the band was named "Rolling Stones" from 1957 to 1962.
[en.wikipedia.org])

More infos from Red Admiral Records (which had their unique album reissued on CD):

At the heart of Mirkwood, is the relationship between Mick Morris and Jack Castle. They first met at the Grammar School in Dover in the mid 50's where they both had led their own bands. They have remained close friends ever since.

Inspired by bands like Buddy Holly, Rick Nelson, and The Shadows, Mick and Jack both played lead guitar in, and created, a series of rival rock bands in Dover. Including: - 1957 The original Rolling Stones (until 1962, when a certain Mick Jagger and friends made the name famous with a different group!) - The Vikings - Carl and the Invaders - The Playboys: Were employed as the house band at a club in Folkestone.
During this period they shared the bill (and the dressing room!) with many legendary bands including Cream, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and the Jimi Hendrix Experience (Noel Redding was a friend of Mick's who had played guitar in a local band The Lonely Ones before seeking fame and fortune in London).
(...)
[www.redadmiralrecords.com]

Mirkwood in the 70's :

Re: OT: Mirkwood, formerly named "Rolling Stones"
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:22

I know the quote is not yours, but did the Rolling Stones really make the name "famous" in 1962, a year before they even had a couple of minor singles out?

An interesting additional footnote is that the YouTube clip of the 1973 song posted likely features the drumming of Nicky 'Topper' Headon, later of The Clash, who joined Milkwood that year.

Date: October 5, 2012 02:39

stonesnow
I know the quote is not yours, but did the Rolling Stones really make the name "famous" in 1962, a year before they even had a couple of minor singles out?

An interesting additional footnote is that the YouTube clip of the 1973 song posted likely features the drumming of Nicky 'Topper' Headon, later of The Clash, who joined Milkwood that year.

Not sure when exactly the Stones became famous enough to claim this name ...

Topper Headon was the drummer of several bands before joining the Clash for their second album. Hard to make the connection between Mirkwood style and the Clash though!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:43

kowalski
stonesnow

Topper Headon was the drummer of several bands before joining the Clash for their second album. Hard to make the connection between Mirkwood style and the Clash though!

Not really, when you consider Joe Strummer's look in 1973--like he was auditioning for Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Date: October 5, 2012 03:11

stonesnow
kowalski
stonesnow

Not really, when you consider Joe Strummer's look in 1973--like he was auditioning for Creedence Clearwater Revival.

All I know from Joe Strummer before the Clash is this : (his pre-Clash band playing Shake Your Hips)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1191
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home