Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: crosby, stills,nash and young or the highwaymen or the traveling wilbury's?
Date: September 30, 2012 06:18

i think these are the 3 best supergroups. which one is the your favorite?

Re: OT: crosby, stills,nash and young or the highwaymen or the traveling wilbury's?
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: September 30, 2012 06:51

The Rolling Stones. smoking smiley

Re: OT: crosby, stills,nash and young or the highwaymen or the traveling wilbury's?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 30, 2012 06:57

memphiscats
thumbs up and this is (one of the reasons) why memphiscats IS THE BEST!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-30 06:57 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 30, 2012 06:57

Ya'll must not be watching SNL tonight.

Date: September 30, 2012 06:58

Edith Grove
Isnt it a rerun tonight?

Date: September 30, 2012 06:59

memphiscats

please explain to me how the stones fit the term "supergroup"? it usually defines a band that is comprised of well know musicians BEFORE the band is formed. no one in the stones was famous before the band got going other than ron wood and somewhat mick taylor but they aren't original members

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-30 07:00 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: September 30, 2012 07:03

keefriffhard4life
memphiscats

please explain to me how the stones fit the term "supergroup"? it usually defines a band that is comprised of well know musicians BEFORE the band is formed. no one in the stones was famous before the band got going other than ron wood and somewhat mick taylor but they aren't original members
Doesnt mean they are not super... or maybe we need to adjust our definitions

Date: September 30, 2012 07:16

Max'sKansasCity
keefriffhard4life
memphiscats

OK - just pointing out the Stones are SUPER to me! No offense Keefriffhard4life...
As someone once wisely said about Keith (and this is applicable to ALL of the Stones)...if he (they) didn't exist, rock n' roll would have invented them.
That said, and to pick one of your groups, I'll go with the Wilbury's.

I won't get into the theory on CSNY - as to why I don't think they fit your definition of super-group but let's not go there. How 'bout Derek & the Dominoes? They were pretty super-groupish? smoking smiley
p.s. Max - you're the cats meow...winking smiley

Date: September 30, 2012 07:21

memphiscats
puuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrgggggrrrrrrrrrrgrinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2012 07:25

memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
keefriffhard4life
memphiscats

OK - just pointing out the Stones are SUPER to me! No offense Keefriffhard4life...
As someone once wisely said about Keith (and this is applicable to ALL of the Stones)...if he (they) didn't exist, rock n' roll would have invented them.

I won't get into the theory on CSNY - as to why I don't think they fit your definition of super-group but let's not go there. How 'bout Derek & the Dominoes? They were pretty super-groupish? smoking smiley

i didn't include derek and the dominos because they only did 1 album and i was trying to name bands that went on and tried to have a career. they seemed more like a one off project. i could have included bad company because all 4 members were in hit groups before bad company formed.

just because you think a group is SUPER doesn't make them a supergroup which i already listed the common definition. a group of well known musicians who form a new band. please tell me why CSNY aren't a supergroup? crosby was in the byrds who had several huge hits with them. stills was from buffalo springfield who had a huge hit and played guitar on the gold selling SUPER SESSIONS. neil young was also in buffalo springfield and already had 2 solo albums out before joining CSN. graham nash was in the hollies who had several top 40 hits in america and several top 10 hits in th uk before he left.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-30 07:26 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 30, 2012 07:27

Max'sKansasCity
Edith Grove
Isnt it a rerun tonight?

It's usually better the second time around.

Date: September 30, 2012 07:49

keefriffhard4life
memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
keefriffhard4life
memphiscats

i didn't include derek and the dominos because they only did 1 album and i was trying to name bands that went on and tried to have a career. they seemed more like a one off project. i could have included bad company because all 4 members were in hit groups before bad company formed.

just because you think a group is SUPER doesn't make them a supergroup which i already listed the common definition. a group of well known musicians who form a new band. please tell me why CSNY aren't a supergroup? crosby was in the byrds who had several huge hits with them. stills was from buffalo springfield who had a huge hit and played guitar on the gold selling SUPER SESSIONS. neil young was also in buffalo springfield and already had 2 solo albums out before joining CSN. graham nash was in the hollies who had several top 40 hits in america and several top 10 hits in th uk before he left.

Here's why, to me, CSNY was not a super group. A supergroup is something that is pre-determined to be a success; it's not that they can't fail, but that they were culled from super-stars. While I'm familiar with all of the players in CSNY and love their stuff (both as a group and before they got together), I think it was more common to see players shuffling from band to band in the late 60s early 70s. Whereas a super group seems preordained & comprised already "super stars" or at least close to it. While C, S, N, & Y were all great in their own right, I don't think - at the time when CSNY formed you could use one of their names and get instant recognition. And my apologies - I misspoke about Derek & the Dominos: by my definition, they were not a supergroup. Though I don't think anyone would discount that Eric Clapton, Duane Allman & Bobby Whitlock were not SUPER GROUP material.cool smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 30, 2012 17:16

Blind Faith

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 30, 2012 18:19

I like The Highwaymen and Road Goes On Forever albums: the second Highwayman album, with the exception of Lee Clayton's Silver Stallion, does nothing for me.

CSN began as an offshoot of The Byrds, Hollies, and Buffalo Springfield. I have just finished, this afternoon, listening to Notorious Byrd Brothers expanded edition, and found Crosby a condescending, cajoling irritant, annoying the hell out of an apathetic Michael Clarke. No wonder Hillman and McGuinn got shot of him, as the dialogue is very revealing. I also, more, prefer the Stills, Kooper, Bloomfield Super Session album - now that was a super-group. CSNY are good, but the egotism was deplorable, especially with Crosby and Stills. I do like Manassas though, which was Stills, Hillman, and Dallas Taylor amongst others.

The Traveling Wilburys were great, and Vol 3 is an underrated album, that slipped somewhat through the radar. Everyone was too busy condemning Dylan's Under The Red Sky at the time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2012 21:46

Agree with loog droog, Blind Faith. Cream should have been but Baker and Bruce weren't that known outside of certain circles.

No one mentioned the Dirty Mac? Come on.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 30, 2012 21:52

Supergroups eye rolling smiley

Here I say Traveling Wilburys hands down...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 30, 2012 21:54

Dirty Mac for a one-off Beatles cover? Yeah it was cool, but Keith, Eric and Mitch were just performing as "not the other Beatles".

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 30, 2012 22:56

The Flatlanders were a supergroup when they reunited in 1998 but the first time around, Jimmie Dale Gimore, Butch Hancock and Joe Ely were just starting out. And the band did not take off. So they became more a legend than a band.

The Traveling Wilburys were my first favourite band as a kid and thus they have been important tastemakers for this listener. It's sad they cannot reunite anymore due to only being 3 these days, but their 2 original albums remain favourites.

Not long after that, I came upon Little Village. John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe and Jim Keltner made a fine little album under that band name and toured for a while until they could not stand each other anymore. A reunion would be welcomed very much by myself and other fans of the group but it is rather less likely.
Are the members of Little Village well-known enough for the group to be called a supergroup? I think so.

And then, there are Raisins In the Sun: Jules Shear on vocals, Chuck Prophet on guitar/vocals, Jim Dickinson on piano/vocals, Sean Slade on keyboards, Paul Kolderie on guitar, Harvey Brooks on bass, Winston Watson on drums.
Not really superstars either. But a great band and a great album.

I cannot decide. I have so many great supergroups to choose from.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 30, 2012 23:28

Little Village was definately a supergroup. Lucky enough to have seen that group form and tour.

The Beatles were a super group too, that was my impression after watching the Anthology anyway. Led Zep was a super group, made up of handpicked players at the top of the eschelon.

But as far as impact on me and from your list, CSN&Y is still forever buried in my synapses. peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 1, 2012 04:40

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats

Get a room already.

Date: October 1, 2012 04:42

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats

Get a room already.

Hey look, the peanut gallery is waking up.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 1, 2012 04:46

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats

Get a room already.

Ran out of peanuts.

Date: October 1, 2012 04:48

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats

Get a room already.

Ran out of peanuts.
We'll send some popcorn up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home