Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's interest in Military History -- ALL wars or mostly 20th C. European wars? American Civil War?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 26, 2012 02:27

hi everyone!

Man, it's been a long time since I posted at iorr. Don't know if anyone still
knows or remembers me here winking smiley

So---quick question----talking to a "war buff" friend today about KR's interest in
war history. I don't remember which eras of war history---or which wars---he is
into.

I recall seeing that photo of his impressive massive bookcase--all the war history
books--but can't remember whether it is mostly WWI and WWII?

Or does his interest extend to the American Civil War? and other wars?

thanks for your knowledge, wisdom, and smarts - yay!
swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-26 02:35 by swiss.

Re: Keith's interest in War History -- ALL wars or mostly European 20th C. wars? U.S. Civil War?
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 26, 2012 02:33

I would say mostly WWII, since his experience growing up in the food-rationed aftermath of bombed-out Britain looms so large among the memories of his youth, as depicted in Life.

Re: Keith's interest in Military History -- ALL wars or mostly 20th C. European wars? American Civil War?
Date: September 26, 2012 02:46

A bit more about Keith's interest in history can be found at the following link

suite101.com/article/eric-weider-history-is-happening-at-whg-2-a398409

featuring an interview with Eric Weider [pictured below] of the Weider History Group, who describes Keith as "a huge history buff" and, in particular, "a big World War II buff and also a fan of England's era of naval domination"...

Re: Keith's interest in Military History -- ALL wars or mostly 20th C. European wars? American Civil War?
Date: September 26, 2012 02:49

stonesnow
Eric Weider...who describes Keith as "a huge history buff" and, in particular, "a big World War II buff and also a fan of England's era of naval domination"...

See, that's what I was thinking. All that WWI/WWII, Master & Commander, Patrick
O'Brian stuff.

Thanks, stonesnow.

Anyone else---?

I don't have my KR biographies with me---so I cannot check this myself. And it's
proving tricky to Google this precisely.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 26, 2012 02:54

Keith seems to know history pretty well. He mentioned in Life that Texas was a US landgrab to Bobby keyes which is pretty much what it was. I think its mostly WW II and he also said he has read the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon. Charlie I beleive has a lot of interest in the U.S. Civil War.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 26, 2012 03:18

slew
Keith seems to know history pretty well. He mentioned in Life that Texas was a US landgrab to Bobby keyes which is pretty much what it was. I think its mostly WW II and he also said he has read the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon. Charlie I beleive has a lot of interest in the U.S. Civil War.

A friend of mine's mum went to school with Charlie. She said that her main memory of him was the fact that even then he was absolutely obsessed with the American Civil War.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-26 03:19 by Gazza.

Date: September 26, 2012 03:23

There is a picture of Charlie in David Dalton's book, The First Twenty Years of Charlie with a bunch of Civil War guns and hats and such.

Posted by: SaigonVoodoo ()
Date: September 26, 2012 03:56

Charlie has been known to, in the past, wander around Gettysburg and a few other battlefields. And supposedly he's quite a collector of muskets, etc.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: September 26, 2012 04:40

The Ken Burns documentary DVD set is fascinating

Date: September 26, 2012 06:29

The U.S. Civil War is facinating. First war covered with photography and just so many other things about it that are intersting. The Ken Burns film/documentary is really really good. Ken could probably do a good movie on the Stones.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: September 26, 2012 06:34

Forgot to say welcome back Swiss. And yes, Ken Burns is an excellent docmentarian (I agree with you on that one Slew)

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: September 26, 2012 06:44

America's bloodiest war.

Date: September 26, 2012 06:53

peter wilson
Forgot to say welcome back Swiss. And yes, Ken Burns is an excellent docmentarian (I agree with you on that one Slew)

Thanks slew, Peter Wilson, Gazza, and SaigonVoodoo!

I sometimes like Ken Burns a lot, and sometimes his style starts getting to me. His last big documntary on Prohibition (booze in America) didn't capture my imagination or interest. But anyone making smart, well-researched, compelling historical documentaries gets my vote smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: September 26, 2012 07:40

Liverpool played a part both in the first and last acts of the U.S. Civil War. The cannon that fired the first shot was made there, and Captain Waddell of the CCS Shanendoah surrendered his vessel there.

Also, Liverpool was a key intermediary port on the slave trade route between Africa and the States, so no surprise that Liverpool supported the Confederacy, which built its navy from Liverpool, a port city that was such a big cotton importer [can you guess who picked the cotton?] that Frazer Trenholm in Rumford Place acted as the unofficial Confederate embassy. The commander of the Confederate Navy (James Dunwoody Bulloch) was based in Liverpool.

When Abraham Lincoln on behalf of the North freed the slaves in 1865, an important port trade source of income was lost, displacing a generation or two of Liverpudlians and having its impact on the British economy--this could be the reason that to this day "Yanks" (term for the American North) is used as a Britslang derogatory term for Americans.

www.liverpoolwiki.org/Liverpool_-_The_HOme_of_the_Confederate_fleet

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 26, 2012 09:14

In his autobiography Keith specifically mentions the Napoleonic era as one that he's particularly interested in.

Date: September 26, 2012 09:32

with sssoul
In his autobiography Keith specifically mentions the Napoleonic era as one that he's particularly interested in.

"I've just been closeted with Napoleon," Keith declares, which begins a 1981 interview article from Rolling Stone magazine:

www.rollingstone.com/music/news/Keith-richards-in-1981-the-rolling-stone-interview-19811112

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 26, 2012 09:54

stonesnow
Liverpool played a part both in the first and last acts of the U.S. Civil War. The cannon that fired the first shot was made there, and Captain Waddell of the CCS Shanendoah surrendered his vessel there.

Also, Liverpool was a key intermediary port on the slave trade route between Africa and the States, so no surprise that Liverpool supported the Confederacy, which built its navy from Liverpool, a port city that was such a big cotton importer [can you guess who picked the cotton?] that Frazer Trenholm in Rumford Place acted as the unofficial Confederate embassy. The commander of the Confederate Navy (James Dunwoody Bulloch) was based in Liverpool.

When Abraham Lincoln on behalf of the North freed the slaves in 1865, an important port trade source of income was lost, displacing a generation or two of Liverpudlians and having its impact on the British economy--this could be the reason that to this day "Yanks" (term for the American North) is used as a Britslang derogatory term for Americans.

Recently Liverpool was changing street names that had been named after slave traders. But one slave trader's name was kept. Because of the Beatles. James Penny was a slave trader, but—because of the Beatles—Liverpool decided not change the name of the street bearing his name: Penny Lane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-26 09:59 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 26, 2012 10:00

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 26, 2012 10:15

slew
The U.S. Civil War is facinating. First war covered with photography and just so many other things about it that are intersting. The Ken Burns film/documentary is really really good. Ken could probably do a good movie on the Stones.

Not that any war is a "good" one, but the civil wars are the worst. Most traumatic ones. The enemy is not an "alien", but your damn brother. Here in Finland we had a civil war in 1918, and still to date discussing about it, even by the historians, seem to cause mixed emotions. Rather hard to be 'neutral'' about it.

- Doxa

Date: September 26, 2012 10:53

Title5Take1
stonesnow

Recently Liverpool was changing street names that had been named after slave traders. But one slave trader's name was kept. Because of the Beatles. James Penny was a slave trader, but—because of the Beatles—Liverpool decided not change the name of the street bearing his name: Penny Lane.

Interesting. I never knew that. Well at least, because of The Beatles, people from outside Liverpool are unlikely to make the connection to that of a slave trader.

Although it is just as interesting when you consider that Liverpool took to changing street names only recently and that the slaves who were traded by these slave traders were freed not so recently. Damn "Yanks" indeed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-26 11:00 by stonesnow.

Date: September 26, 2012 22:20

stonesnow
Title5Take1
stonesnow

Interesting. I never knew that. Well at least, because of The Beatles, people from outside Liverpool are unlikely to make the connection to that of a slave trader.

Although it is just as interesting when you consider that Liverpool took to changing street names only recently and that the slaves who were traded by these slave traders were freed not so recently. Damn "Yanks" indeed!

I once traveled from Vienna to London, and still had Austrian coins. In a pub I accidentally handed over Austrian coins instead of English coins for half a pint. The bartender—not looking too closely at the coins—handed them back and said, "Keep your Yankee money!" I didn't correct him, and handed over English money.

Date: September 26, 2012 22:23

Title5Take1
stonesnow
Title5Take1
stonesnow

I once traveled from Vienna to London, and still had Austrian coins. In a pub I accidentally handed over Austrian coins instead of English coins for half a pint. The bartender—not looking too closely at the coins—handed them back and said, "Keep your Yankee money!" I didn't correct him, and handed over English money.

Wow! I guess that confirms it. The Britslang term Yanks for Americans definitely had its origin at the end of the U.S. Civil War and in Liverpool, for reasons already stated above. Thanks for sharing your anecdotes, Title5Take1.

Date: September 27, 2012 05:35

Doxa - You are correct no war is a good war but I find them extremely interesting. Why I don't know. Here in the States 150 yeas later there is still some in the south that hold a grudge against the north. Boggles my mind that even though it did not start the war and there were other issues human bindage was the underlying cause of the whole thing how people could ever think that they were on the right side in this day and age is beyond my grasp. Someone even wrote a book titled the South Was Right.

In any event I did not know about a Civil War in Finland in 1918 was it tied into the Russian Revolution at all or was it completely separate from that?

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: September 27, 2012 07:30

As previously mentioned, Charlie has an interest in the American Civil War. Lots of goodies in his collection here:

[This is the photo from the Dalton book, The First Twenty Years, page 130.]

Date: September 27, 2012 07:56

A few years ago I was driving just outside Savannah, Georgia and saw on the bumper of a big rig this bumper sticker: "Clean up the South. Buy a Yankee a bus ticket."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-27 08:48 by Title5Take1.

Date: September 27, 2012 09:14

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-27 21:30 by stonesnow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home