Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

JAGGER DOING WHAT HE WAS OBJECTING OF DECCA
Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 23, 2012 02:49

jAGGER was objecting of decca bring out STONEAGE,GIMME SHELTER AND NO STONE UNTURNED lps. 1ST we got 40 licks and now we gonna get GRRR with 2 extra tracks,stones been working very hard for the last 7 years we should be greatful for the 2 extra tracks they need a break.GRRR CDS will end in the sale after xmas for a £5.00 what treat for the true fans.5 YEARS OF ROCKING AND 45 YEARS OF HANGING AROUND LIKE CHARLIE WOULD SAY,WHAT CAN A POOR BOY DO?
i love the stones but this is a joke,they will be laughing all the way to the bank,i forget to tell you they need money to pay for drugs.

Re: JAGGER DOING WHAT HE WAS OBJECTING OF DECCA
Date: September 23, 2012 02:55

I don't think they'll laugh all the way to the bank - they won't need to go.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:18

Ok enough of the GRRRR and Leavelle bashing!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 23, 2012 05:02

Kish_stoned, every word you wrote in your post was English, but your intended meaning is lost on me....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 23, 2012 16:23

ChrisM
Kish_stoned, every word you wrote in your post was English, but your intended meaning is lost on me....

Except for GRRR.................grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 23, 2012 16:35

EddieByword
ChrisM

Except for GRRR.................grinning smiley

Don't be mean, boys.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 19:55

I agree!

Jagger is messing up the whole legacy of the Stones.
My guess is because he has become to grrreedy.

The Stones don't feel that much rock and roll to me anymore!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 23, 2012 20:17

Naw they are just trying to find a decent business model in a terriby unstable recorded music market. Someone's got to do the work. Hopefully it will somehow benefit other recording artists. Lots of folks are watching closely to see how the plan unravels.

But, I don't doubt if Mick spent less time dreaming up and discussing business models and potential revenue streams he could write more than ONE new tune for the Stones next record. peace

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2012 21:16

I love how everyone assumes Mick Jagger makes every decision on the Stones unilaterally with no input or say from anyone else.

Presumably he locks Charlie, Keith and Ronnie in a basement or else pumps them full of drugs to render them catatonic while he forges their signatures on every document.

Date: September 23, 2012 21:17

life is a cocktail party for stones,i will stay away from GRRR and listen to STICKY EXILE,SOME GIRLS,GET YOUR YAS YAS OUT,LET IT BLEED AND BANQUET.And for bootlegs listen to BRIXTON,CIKKUS,STOCKHOLM,LIVE AT WEMBLEY 1990 this my heaven re
rolling stones,cut out the crap and keeping on rocking.
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL.ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL BUT WE LIKE IT.

Date: September 23, 2012 21:24

I think jagger is brilliant singer and writer i wish he and stones would take chances and throw unrealsed tracks on the greatest hits i am sure they have so many good tracks in the can like STILL A FOOL,DRIFT AWAY,YOUR PERCIOUS LOVE and many others.

Date: September 23, 2012 21:37

Whats the point of a 'greatest hits' release having numerous unreleased tracks instead of their best known songs?

Save that for an anthology style collection from their studio vaults. Its for a separate project entirely.

Its not a coincidence that all three of the songs you highlighted as 'good tracks in the can' are cover versions which a) make them easier to complete and b) dont give the Glimmer Twins any publishing royalties.

How many 'good tracks in the can' can you name which (from what youve heard) are original songs which are 'finished'?

Almost everything that can be found on studio bootlegs are unreleased for good reason. Some might be fun to hear once in a while from a 'fly on the wall' perspective, but the Stones have generally exercised good judgement on what songs from their studio sessions make the cut as opposed to what doesnt.

And we cant really speculate on 'uncirculated' songs that may be finished which we havent heard, but the likelihood - based on what we have heard - is that there probably arent that many which are releasable in their existing form. The Stones might work on, say, 25-30 songs for a record, but they rarely finish much more than what gets released.

Which might explain why when they DO release bonus material from their archives - Exile, Some Girls - they feel the need to overdub new vocals or musical parts on them.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 23, 2012 21:56

Gazza
Almost everything that can be found on studio bootlegs are unreleased for good reason. Some might be fun to hear once in a while from a 'fly on the wall' perspective, but the Stones have generally exercised good judgement on what songs from their studio sessions make the cut as opposed to what doesnt.

And we cant really speculate on 'uncirculated' songs that may be finished which we havent heard, but the likelihood - based on what we have heard - is that there probably arent that many which are releasable in their existing form. The Stones might work on, say, 25-30 songs for a record, but they rarely finish much more than what gets released.

Which might explain why when they DO release bonus material from their archives - Exile, Some Girls - they feel the need to overdub new vocals or musical parts on them.

Agreed 95 %, I just want to add that some unfinished tracks are pretty good even unfinished ( It's not a secret, I love all the 77-79 stuff)
so I'm still hopin' one day that they will finaly surface with the best source ever...it will make my day.winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 24, 2012 05:20

Gazza
I love how everyone assumes Mick Jagger makes every decision on the Stones unilaterally with no input or say from anyone else.

Presumably he locks Charlie, Keith and Ronnie in a basement or else pumps them full of drugs to render them catatonic while he forges their signatures on every document.

Maybe not every decision but I can't see anyone but Mick actually enjoying the music business side of the job that he has obviously tackled with some success. Those meeting with promoters (like Michael Cohl in the past) were only attended by Mick when I watched the YouTube clips. Do you have first hand knowledge of how they do business as a band Gazza?

My guess is the only time the others get really involved in true business decisions that don't involve creative input is during the Rolling Stones Roundtables and with all of them there. The "lawyers and agents of the Rolling Stones" meeting separately to hash out business doesn't really count and probably doesn't exclude Mick anyway.

As far as locking the rest of the band in a basement, great idea! As long as it had a kitchen maybe they could use the time to write some new Stones songs. peace

Date: September 24, 2012 09:58

It's called GREED

Date: September 24, 2012 11:38

we all still love the rolling stones we hope next year new cd and tour and forgive them for thr GRRR CD AND THE COVER.
ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL BUT WE LIKE IT

Date: September 24, 2012 12:12

Naturalust
Gazza

Maybe not every decision but I can't see anyone but Mick actually enjoying the music business side of the job that he has obviously tackled with some success. Those meeting with promoters (like Michael Cohl in the past) were only attended by Mick when I watched the YouTube clips. Do you have first hand knowledge of how they do business as a band Gazza?

My guess is the only time the others get really involved in true business decisions that don't involve creative input is during the Rolling Stones Roundtables and with all of them there. The "lawyers and agents of the Rolling Stones" meeting separately to hash out business doesn't really count and probably doesn't exclude Mick anyway.

No - but thats exactly my point. No one here does - other than the fact that band decisions are done on a vote. So the 'its all down to Mick' thing is pure guesswork.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 24, 2012 12:29

No one does know how things work inside the band, but I think I remember that in interviews back in the 90ies Keef said that he was more involved in the music, letting Mick deal with the business.
I believe that Mick cannot do exactly what he wants without the other members' approval, but they might let him show up with the proposals.

And Charlie was known as being very involved in the merchandising during the 90ies...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 24, 2012 13:11

"Keef said that he was more involved in the music..."

He would say that wouldn't he?

The money making side of the Stones is all down to big bad Mick Jagger

Date: September 24, 2012 14:30

Doc
No one does know how things work inside the band, but I think I remember that in interviews back in the 90ies Keef said that he was more involved in the music, letting Mick deal with the business.
I believe that Mick cannot do exactly what he wants without the other members' approval, but they might let him show up with the proposals.

And Charlie was known as being very involved in the merchandising during the 90ies...

Good enough summary. Its worth mentioning again though that the decision to postpone the UK tour in 1998 for a year to avoid paying tax was due to a band vote where Mick was outvoted by Charlie and Ronnie (with Keith abstaining as he wasnt directly affected by the tax change)

Posted by: pjs425 ()
Date: September 24, 2012 14:45

Five years work, forty five years re-releasing greatest hits compilations and running to the bank!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 24, 2012 14:46

So Mick was against postponing the 98` UK tour? Charles and Ronald are the greedy bunch then?

Date: September 24, 2012 14:54

lot of the fans want be around when they do decide to bring out anthology this was the best time to bring out the anthology and the live club gigs like the brixton and dvd too one of the best club concert for 1995 lot of fans are always coming out with good ideas but the band want take any notice of us.
ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL,WHAT CAN A POOR BOY DO?
WE LOVE THE STONES,NEW CD NEXT YEAR AND TOUR.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:10

I forgot the 1998 story Gazza.

Mick Jagger, speaking from the band's Munich rehearsals, told Monday's Times newspaper: "If we did the UK shows it would have meant the entire European tour ran at a loss and we just couldn't do that, it would have been foolish."

"To all our UK audiences, we are sorry for the changes foisted on us and the inconvenience caused. Personally, it has been a very difficult decision to make," Jagger continued. "I was tempted to bite the bullet, but I'm not the only one affected. A Rolling Stones world tour is a two-year project and there are over 200 people involved. I'm really sorry and apologetic to all those who've now got to wait until next year to see the shows. We would have played for charity but the Inland Revenue couldn't bend the rules. I understand that, but it is a shame."

"I'm not attacking the Labour Government. They have every right to change the tax laws. I don't have an axe to grind, I'm not a party political animal and the government isn't run for my convenience," Jagger added.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:14

What's the deal with all those caps? There is no need to scream on the internet.

Date: September 24, 2012 15:29

Stoneage
So Mick was against postponing the 98` UK tour? Charles and Ronald are the greedy bunch then?

Apparently so!

Well, the point is that business decisions arent just taken unilaterally.

The band's official statement - quoted above by Doc - was however exposed as absolute bollocks by Q Magazine a couple of months later. Most of the crew involved wouldnt have been affected by the tax change as they werent UK taxpayers. The shows were effectively postponed because some of the band (understandably enough, in fairness) didnt want to be hit by a tax bill being applied retrospectively.

Date: September 24, 2012 16:25

still its only rock-roll and we like it,just lets enjoy the music and leave rest to the band sort out,brand new cd with 12 tracks and tour 2013.ROCKS OFF

Date: September 24, 2012 16:37

Gazza

Wow. How awful. That Jagger sure can be mean.

Date: September 24, 2012 16:45

So..... what exactly is Jagger doing that he was objecting of Decca of doing? Jagger's not releasing unauthorised compilations. Kish, can you understand that? Or do you need to go paint a ceiling with Muddy Waters while falling out of a coconut tree?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home