Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
listen to Bob Dylans new album FOR FREE
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 8, 2012 16:59

Re: listen to Bob Dylans new album FOR FREE
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 8, 2012 21:44

I wouldn't listen to it any other way!grinning smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 9, 2012 00:12

It features great songs like Scarlet Town, Narrow Way and Tin Angel. I got the disc yesterday and I must say that Roll on John is rather weak and the title track is too long, it has no chance against Highlands or Desolation Row. A thing that is rather strange is that Dylan wants himself filmed and photographed (video and booklett) like some kind of pimp. In the end the album features fantastic moments, and I hope to hear Dylan live again

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 9, 2012 11:35

I don't think of 'Roll On John' as being weak, windmelody. I find it quite touching, and in a not too blatantly soft way, either. Bob is great at making observations, which prove so touching, without going the whole hog of becoming over sentimental and gushing. In fact i don't hear anything weak on TEMPEST, although of course some songs do tend to create more of an impression on initial listens, although this can prove deceiving over the longterm, when those less compelling initial songs suddenly creep up on you, and reveal their true virtues. It is going to take many listens to truly appreciate much of what this album has to offer. 'Duquesne Whistle' is a fine and effective opener, being fairly upbeat and instant, but i get the feeling it is not one of those songs that will be talked about much after the album has been fully absorbed, and analysed. However, it is a fine opening song, which initially sets up a nice jaunty tone, before the album becomes more downbeat and dark, as it progresses.

Bob, as he often does, adapts many musical/lyrical components from other older artists, including the 'Mannish Boy' riff on 'Early Roman Kings'(perhaps too obviously so), and a few words quoted not just from John Lennon, but also William Blake on 'Roll On John'. However, with regards to 'Early Roman Kings', his lyrical/vocal delivery does very much bring fresh life to perhaps something we have heard many many times before.

Yes, 'Scarlet Town' is instantly brilliant, and 'Tin Angel' is only going to become ever more compelling with repeated listens. Every song, i believe has much to offer. I love Bob's crooning on 'Soon After Midnight', and his gruff tone on 'Pay In Blood'. I recall it being compared to 'Hand Of Fate' in one review. The title song 'Tempest' is great, but i think i will reserve judgement as to whether it is too long, until i have given it a few more listens.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 9, 2012 11:56

Thanks for the tip

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 9, 2012 14:50

Tempest is up on Spotify. Great album BTW!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 9, 2012 15:23

I had the ltd edition deluxe cd sent to me: it is a great album, but then, since 1997, Bob has produced some magical albums. What a pity the Stones don't have it in them anymore to create like Bob ?

I would argue that, pre Time Out of Mind, Bob started to renew himself with his muse in 1995. I saw him at Brixton Academy then, and knew that there was going to be something in the offing, that he wasn't washed up, and that he was only getting re-started.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 9, 2012 16:08

Not for free, need to have iTunes on your computer.

Posted by: chemicalreaction ()
Date: September 9, 2012 22:15

Tempest is a fantastic Album...!!!

I Love "Roll On John" !!!!!!!!!

Charlie Sexton is One of the Best Gitarrist on Dylan's side!

Date: September 9, 2012 23:35

Charlie Sexton is very good indeed, even if I have not gotten (yet) into Roll on John. I like the lyrics though. Tempest is great!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 10, 2012 03:49

tomcasagranda
I had the ltd edition deluxe cd sent to me: it is a great album, but then, since 1997, Bob has produced some magical albums. What a pity the Stones don't have it in them anymore to create like Bob ?

I would argue that, pre Time Out of Mind, Bob started to renew himself with his muse in 1995. I saw him at Brixton Academy then, and knew that there was going to be something in the offing, that he wasn't washed up, and that he was only getting re-started.

Yes, Dylan's legacy was already secure by 1970, but his relevance and legacy are only strengthened by his brilliant late period.

Back in the 80s, the big joke among standup/TV comedians was: Hey, did you hear? Bob Dylan might be getting back together.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 10, 2012 04:13

Best Dylan album since Street Legal IMO (and even at that, Street Legal was a horrendous SOUNDING record which was redeemed by a great remaster around 1999).

The only one since then that I could argue was as good would be Love & Theft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 04:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 10, 2012 07:25

Thanks for the tip. Great stuff.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 10, 2012 08:46

Really Gazza? Time Out of Mind is stunning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 08:47 by whitem8.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 10, 2012 08:50

I'm always listens to the songs/melodies/voice, and a couple of them is magic..could have been Dylan even 1968....thumbs up He's best try (wanting to sing as good as possible with what is left of the voice) since 'Good as I been to you'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 10, 2012 09:11

Spotify!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 10, 2012 10:09

although it is/was for free - the album is still worthwhile buying (forget all your computers, ipods etc - put the CD in your player and listen to the music through real speakers that are capable of the music's dynamics etc. Otherwise you will miss so much. It's a record produced the old fashioned way!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 10:10 by slewan.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 10, 2012 12:20

Roll on John,what a great tribute to Mr Lennon!

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: September 10, 2012 12:36

Tempest is Fantastic superb album Bob is number one! The Stones should learn from this man of 71 years other than crap like Grrr just to make money ....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 10, 2012 12:37

whitem8
Really Gazza? Time Out of Mind is stunning.

It certainly is....but this is better.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: September 10, 2012 13:55

Imagine The Stones recording Pay in Blood...We would be talking about a huge come back...Another great record that you can listen for free on Spotify is Chris Robinson Brotherhood-Magic Door...Brilliant stuff, on par with the best work of The Black Crowes

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 10, 2012 15:25

Even Chuck Leavell has it in him to appear on a great album this year, i.e Born & Raised by John Mayer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 10, 2012 15:58

I thought it was for free!!!! you have to install I-tunes so it's not for free

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 11, 2012 17:38

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: September 11, 2012 22:14

Interesting....for me the album is annoying awful. An old crumpy man. No melodies, no voice anymore, no nothing.
Its hard to even get over the first 25 % of the album.too tough.'Time out of mind' is in comparism another league.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 11, 2012 22:20

I find it really funny, when people complain about Keith's singin - while they praise Dylan, when clearly Dylan cant sing any melodies anymore.

Dylan is still writing great lyrics, but come on.. you call that song writing, when there's no vocal melodies at all anymore and all the music, all the guitar riffs are stolen from old blues classics, - like Early Roman kings on the new album,

Most of Dylan albums in recent years are nothing more but mediocre blues jams with poetry on top, maybe Dylan should focus on writing poetry books, instead of stealing old blues songs for his poetry readings in the studio.

I think most people would get more their moneys worth, if they just took Robert Johnson greatest hits album to a poetry reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-11 22:22 by seitan.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 11, 2012 23:04

I always feel bad for people who don't get Dylan. They miss so much

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: September 11, 2012 23:29

NICOS
I thought it was for free!!!! you have to install I-tunes so it's not for free

iTunes is free, so it's free.
I don't like the album that much, though - nothing particular for me - but reading your opinions I'll take a second look (er, listen): I'd anyway as I love Dylan, but... ya know.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 11, 2012 23:38

doubledoor
I always feel bad for people who don't get Dylan. They miss so much

Yeah! thumbs up Same goes for Picasso imo...

Date: September 12, 2012 00:48

The album is great, and the vocals are better than I had expected. I heard Dylan in 2011 and he had problems with his voice. He was much stronger in 2012, his voice showed its age, but was powerfull.And he has a fantastic band, Recile does a fantastic job. He (Recile) is on Airto on the Watts/Keltner project as well.And who can give us something like Tin Angel? Dylan has more control over his voice than Keith Richards. I used to admire Keith, but just compare Keith's book to Dylan's! Dylan put out an exciting novel while Keith wrote about other men's cocks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:00 by windmelody.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home